Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've made the rack part. Now I need to finish grinding the welds and straightening the corners then i can make the mounts for the bike side and attach the two halves together.

Anyone know what thread size the bolts are for Harley sissy bars? I will likely need longer bolts but don't know what I need. I can just check them with a thread/pitch meter but sometimes with small screws the can be hard to tell.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
XL, ur a talented 'li eff'er, aren't ya. That's looking damn good. You going to have it chromed or powder coated? Sorry, can't help you with screw size.
Thanks but really...I'm not very talented..I just know enough to be a little dangerous.

Once I'm done I will take it to a chrome shop (gotta find one who does it around here first) and get a price...if it is too much I will have it powder coated...you guessed it black!

A luggage rack is like 100+ bucks so unless chroming is stupid expensive (probably is though) I will chrome it. When it's all said and done I will have about 20 bucks into it, plus about 3 hours labor or so. People don't realize it but charging 100+ dollars for a luggage rack seems crazy but when you actually make one yourself it starts to make sense.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Thanks but really...I'm not very talented..I just know enough to be a little dangerous.

Once I'm done I will take it to a chrome shop (gotta find one who does it around here first) and get a price...if it is too much I will have it powder coated...you guessed it black!

A luggage rack is like 100+ bucks so unless chroming is stupid expensive (probably is though) I will chrome it. When it's all said and done I will have about 20 bucks into it, plus about 3 hours labor or so. People don't realize it but charging 100+ dollars for a luggage rack seems crazy but when you actually make one yourself it starts to make sense.
Good work on the rack. I'm with you on thinking things were expensive then when you buy the materials then put the time into building the item makes you realize some companies are not that bad on price and others are straight up thief's.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good work on the rack. I'm with you on thinking things were expensive then when you buy the materials then put the time into building the item makes you realize some companies are not that bad on price and others are straight up thief's.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Thanks. Thats the easy part though the mounts to the bike are going to be a bit tricky. Just gotta take my time with them.

Some stuff us a lot cheaper because it is made in bulk as well so when you make it yourself you don't have all that fancy machinery and stuff to make a bunch really fast but all that also costs money so it kinda all goes around and comes around so to speak.

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
I hear ya on cost to buy or build. Sometimes I know I can buy the item but if I can make it myself I will. Only problem is the ends up being 3 times the cost because of the T&M. I always seem to make a prototype and then the good version. Yes, I could have bought it for a HD, but I get more satisfaction making it myself, even if it cost 500 bucks. Weld work looks good, looks like you'll be able to load a sea trunk on that rack when you're done.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hear ya on cost to buy or build. Sometimes I know I can buy the item but if I can make it myself I will. Only problem is the ends up being 3 times the cost because of the T&M. I always seem to make a prototype and then the good version. Yes, I could have bought it for a HD, but I get more satisfaction making it myself, even if it cost 500 bucks. Weld work looks good, looks like you'll be able to load a sea trunk on that rack when you're done.
Haha it is a bit heavy duty for sure! The way I see it labor is free.. I enjoy building stuff so I don't need to account for that in a way. Even still i have not done certain projects because it would take so much time and materials cost that I couldn't justify it.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Haha it is a bit heavy duty for sure! The way I see it labor is free.. I enjoy building stuff so I don't need to account for that in a way. Even still i have not done certain projects because it would take so much time and materials cost that I couldn't justify it.
Yeah, I can relate to that too. Even when it costs just as much or more than buying something commercially made, I enjoy the process of making it and the pride in doing it myself and doing a good job!

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Cool stuff.
Don't forget to bolt a plastic milk crate on it for that real hi class motor luggage look.
And the warning
MAY CAUSE INJURY OR DEATH IF EXCEEDING (some ridiculously light weight limit here)

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cool stuff.
Don't forget to bolt a plastic milk crate on it for that real hi class motor luggage look.
And the warning
MAY CAUSE INJURY OR DEATH IF EXCEEDING (some ridiculously light weight limit here)
I'll just add a zero to their rating and still be under half its capacity.

·
Breaker of Things
3,358 Posts
Nice work man!

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
the way i see it some body makes them so why not do it your self. ive made many things from metal. just grind everything smooth an clean up the spatters. its all good.
ive made everything from wrought iron to equipment for paraplegic persons (standing frames ect) they all start off the same way. welded cleaned up chromed or powder coated. good job on the rack. Those are not cheap to buy.

·
avoider of idiots
6,585 Posts
good job xl----I made one from spare parts a few years ago, just to mount a cheap trunk on. when finished, was going to have it plated, but a buddy offered to powder coat it in his shop for free! free is GOOD! it turned out ok, for what it was going to do. after mounting it on the bike, and mounting the trunk, you couldn't see it anyway! my labor was zero, because I work in a sheet metal shop, and I was lucky enough to do it during work hours. saved me over a hiundred dollars, and I could say I made it!
regards,
dave

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the kindness guys.. I am really pretty bad as this stuff. I mean, it will all function but it is not all that pretty. Doing my best though this is my first really intricate little fab/welding project so I'm learning

1410832034095.jpg
1410832102648.jpg
Cleaned the welds on the rack and straightened one of the rods but it is still Z bit crooked.

1410832147804.jpg
Had to Flux core those mounts because I ran out of. 030 mig wire. I will get some more tomorrow cause Flux core.. Kinds sucks for little stuff like this.

1410832226647.jpg
Mounts tacked up to the rack

1410832256137.jpg
Top view of the rack with mounts

1410832300285.jpg And finally
It mocked up on the sissy bar.. Holy crap it fits!

·
Nocturnal Ancestor
6,686 Posts
I've made the rack part. Now I need to finish grinding the welds and straightening the corners then i can make the mounts for the bike side and attach the two halves together.
You get the notion to build something after watching this??:laugh
Like to see it when you're done!

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will add side supports and any other supports I feel I need tomorrow and then I will probably just throw a quick coat of paint on it for the rest of the season and then I will strip it and get it chromed.. I kinds need it now because without saddlebags I don't have room for the extra warm weather Gear I need to ride.

·
Addicted Since 2010
7,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You get the notion to build something after watching this??:laugh
Like to see it when you're done!

Trailer Park Boys-Bubbles Builds a BBQ - YouTube
Bubbles does pro quality work! His welding skills are insane too. One of Canada's best welders... And only welders hehehe.

I actually got the idea because the cold weather was approaching and I need somewhere to keep my gear!

·
luv the low country
19,253 Posts
You are doing great, XL. Very nice.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts