Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read something about removing the baffles on
SEII pipes to make them louder, aka sound better,
so I was wondering if there's anything I could
do to the stock pipes on my 09 Iron 883 to make
her sound better (till I get money together for
a set of Vance & Hines) straightshot slip ons).
While we're on the subject, is any re-map/ECM
calibration necessary with only slip ons? The V&H
guy said remap, high intake air, and fuel pack for
Just the slip ons? Much appreciated on any input
and/or advice. Have a good one to all you out
there.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks so much

thanks a lot. i will check the post from dave63. have a good week.
again, much appreciated.
cbb

·
Registered
11 Posts
I read the post by Dave63

It seems like it is simple but does the same concept work with bone stock Harley pipes. I have an 01 XLH883C and the stock pipes were on it when I bought the bike. They sound good at idle but just so quite when going down the road. I want to open them up but have heard many ways of doing it but i am to unsure of the best way to open the baffles up. Any suggestions??

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
It seems like it is simple but does the same concept work with bone stock Harley pipes. I have an 01 XLH883C and the stock pipes were on it when I bought the bike. They sound good at idle but just so quite when going down the road. I want to open them up but have heard many ways of doing it but i am to unsure of the best way to open the baffles up. Any suggestions??

Those ARE bone stock, Harley pipes in my "Baffelectomy" thread.... (Dyna, Sporty tapered mufflers)

Just popping your center "cap" out of the middle of the bike, without even taking the mufflers off, will improve sound and not hurt performance.

The Baffelectomy II will require remapping or a fuel-adder if you're running an open airfilter.

·
Most Wanted
534 Posts
I recommend Big City Thunder baffles.

·
Registered
4,829 Posts
oh yeah, gives you that loud crack sound hen you let off the gas....but watch out, drawing attention...reason for johnny law to bust stones...sounds AWESOME though!!! yes I did it on my last bike

·
Registered
10 Posts
Those ARE bone stock, Harley pipes in my "Baffelectomy" thread.... (Dyna, Sporty tapered mufflers)

Just popping your center "cap" out of the middle of the bike, without even taking the mufflers off, will improve sound and not hurt performance.

The Baffelectomy II will require remapping or a fuel-adder if you're running an open airfilter.
Dave

if I run a baffelectomy II and not change out any airfilter, just leave it stock that means i wont need any remapping or fuel adder correct? (in other words it will run fine?)

im riding a 2007 sportster 50th anniversary bike

·
Poser
4,426 Posts
Wait for Dave's answer,,,but

Dave

if I run a baffelectomy II and not change out any airfilter, just leave it stock that means i wont need any remapping or fuel adder correct? (in other words it will run fine?)

EFI sporties run a lean AFR of 14.7:1 I'd think the baff II would be a bit close,,,

·
Poser
4,426 Posts
Wait for Dave's answer,,,but

Dave

EFI sporties run a lean AFR of 14.7:1 I'd think the baff II would be a bit close with a stock filter,,

·
Registered
818 Posts
Osco, 14.7:1 is stoichiometric a/f ratio, aka bullseye, that's where you want to keep your bike around, efi sporties (stock) are gonna be running a bit leaner then stoichiometric if I had to guess I'd say maybe 16:1 around there, the leaner they are helps Harley pass emissions testing. Now the ideal a/f mixture will never be constant it will always be changing in relation to what conditions the bike is under, this is where the efi's sensors come into play, as well as a carbs different circuits.

Just doing the baffels or slips ons you should be fine with the a/f ratio, will it be a little leaner, yes, but nothing dangerous

·
Most Wanted
534 Posts
Osco, 14.7:1 is stoichiometric a/f ratio, aka bullseye, that's where you want to keep your bike around, efi sporties (stock) are gonna be running a bit leaner then stoichiometric if I had to guess I'd say maybe 16:1 around there, the leaner they are helps Harley pass emissions testing. Now the ideal a/f mixture will never be constant it will always be changing in relation to what conditions the bike is under, this is where the efi's sensors come into play, as well as a carbs different circuits.

Just doing the baffels or slips ons you should be fine with the a/f ratio, will it be a little leaner, yes, but nothing dangerous

With all due respect, my guess is that many would disagree with the parts in that are highlighted in bold regarding your post. A good fuel tuner (TTS or SEPST) and a good dyno tune allows the AFR to calibrated for all throttle postitions. They also allow for individual tuning of the front and rear cylinders. The stock ratio of 14.7:1 is too lean and the bikes run way too hot. Anything higher is not good in my opinion. Not to mention, lowering the stock AFR helps the bike run cooler, and provides better performance which is a good thing.
:thumbsup

·
Registered
818 Posts
I agree with you on the point that a good tuner will calibrate the bike for all different throttle positions, that's what I said/meant when I said the a/f ratio is never a constant mix if correctly tuned it will change the air fuel mixture to the needs of the bike at any given time, this is done by different jets, needle positions, and diagphram movement in a carb and handled by a correctly mapped out efi system. Now I'm no expert by any means but I have used an exhaust gas analyzer to measure the a/f ratio on stock Delphi closed loop efi systems and at cruise we were getting around 15.x:1. I also agree that the more fuel (tuned fuel mixture) is better for preformance and cooling, but do I think a more free flowing exhaust is gonna blow up his engine, no. SHOULD he get a new remap yes, is it critical, IMHO no. I would highly recommend it if he eventually comes across the money to take it in for a quick remap, but look at the situation at hand, he's not drag racing bikes for a living.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Went to HD dealer. I wanted Screaming Eagle slip on's for my 883c. The counter guy said that I ned a bigger air filter. Was he right. Or can I just install the slip on's and case closed.
Thank You.

·
Poser
4,426 Posts
Yeah your OK,,,

Went to HD dealer. I wanted Screaming Eagle slip on's for my 883c. The counter guy said that I ned a bigger air filter. Was he right. Or can I just install the slip on's and case closed.
Thank You.
Assuming your EFI and stock air filter slip on SE II's will be ok.
But You Mod the Intake side,,,,well then,,things change.

·
Poser
4,426 Posts
Box Stock and fast,,,

I'm not changing a thing not even the stock banana's
Untill I get the Coin for that Thundermax self tuning rig with the Wide band O2's.
Electronic Fuel Injection (EFI) and Performance Parts for Harley Davidson and VTwin Motorcycles
Thats what 7 or 800 bucks,,,thats cool an If I need a new Airfilter and don't have the
T-Max yet I'll pop in a stocker,,,
For now This 1200 Roadster stays Box stock,,It runs great,,seems to be cool enuff in the
Florida heat. Also has the smoothest powerband an pulls all the way to the top.
Besides I ain't met a stage one yet that I cant pull away from XD
I figure the Stage one's I've met are not tuned well OR It's because I got a Tach and can stay in the sweet spot.

·
Banned
441 Posts
I have come to the belief that there is no one, singular magic bullet. I also believe that muffler modifications are just an excuse to make noise.

An exhaust system has to offer some back-pressure, even on a modified engine. And like any other component, that modification must enhance the mods you have really made, not what you just want to hear.

I'm thinking about just leaving my engine alone on my new 48. The service writer at my shop figured that just going to a Screaming Eagle exhaust system might lower my engine heat. But the bike runs good, the standard download may or may not work to my satisfaction, and I already have a full custom bike. The stock configuration might sound a little stuffed, but the bike accelerates just fine.

The question for you is, what's your end-game? If it's just to be kewl, lose some weight at the gym to catch girls. If you just want to rattle the sewer covers, maybe you should re-think the plan. If the mufflers are part of an overall engine build, then pick the right ones for your individual goals.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Removing the baffles will change how the engine runs. It will usually cause the engine to run leaner (less fuel), and a lean mixture burns much hotter that can cause damage. Removing the baffles will also mess up the power curve of the motor. If you remove them i suggest at least ad lollypop baffels. Just put a bold from the inside so its not seen and attatch a washer to to bolt so it looks like a lolly pop. Will allow ya to keep the back pressure needed on a harley buy still get the sound your looking dor.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts