Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading another thread about software updates, I noticed there were comments regarding the Maps Updates. I searched the Touring General Discussions Forum but didn't find anything (I appologize in advance if I missed a previous thread on this).

I purchased a 2016 Ultra Limited last year and assume the Maps were updated at the time of purchase. How often does Harley-Davidson offer Maps updates and how much does it generally cost? Do they offer the update the same way the other updates are offered - through the webpage, and does Harley-Davidson let us know when a new release or version is out? I've never owned a GPS before so I am not familiar with how often Navigation software is updated.

Thank You in advance for any information you have to offer.

David

·
Registered
490 Posts
I think what you are referring to is the dealership update for the mapping software...you more than likely have the most current map in your navi...

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Jimmers! I've always kept the dealership locations updated but didn't know about the maps updates.

·
Road Junkie
1,852 Posts
After reading another thread about software updates, I noticed there were comments regarding the Maps Updates. I searched the Touring General Discussions Forum but didn't find anything (I appologize in advance if I missed a previous thread on this).

I purchased a 2016 Ultra Limited last year and assume the Maps were updated at the time of purchase. How often does Harley-Davidson offer Maps updates and how much does it generally cost? Do they offer the update the same way the other updates are offered - through the webpage, and does Harley-Davidson let us know when a new release or version is out? I've never owned a GPS before so I am not familiar with how often Navigation software is updated.

Thank You in advance for any information you have to offer.

David
The most current mapping for North America is xx-MY2017 (xx = region, such as NA). You can check your map version on the Infotainment system and determine whether you have the latest. If you need to upgrade, go through Naviextras.com and follow the instructions to the letter. I recommend saving a copy of your digital fingerprint on your hard drive in case you have to re-download the map, as I had several failed download attempts and got tired of running back and forth between the computer and the bike to re-issue the digital fingerprint. Also, Naviextras requires a computer with Microsoft OS, it does not work with a computer running iOS. This one takes some patience, so good luck and have liquor nearby.

·
8,584 Posts
In case your looking for your map database version follow this in your Boom Box:

Push Home->Setup->page down to System Information->page down to Navigation->Map Database...here you will see your Map Database version. Right now mine is "NA-MY2015". Just sayin'...

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In case your looking for your map database version follow this in your Boom Box:

Push Home->Setup->page down to System Information->page down to Navigation->Map Database...here you will see your Map Database version. Right now mine is "NA-MY2015". Just sayin'...
Thanks again Jimmers!!! I will see what version I have and then go from there. How often should Maps typically be updated . . . once a year, every couple years, etc. Probably personal preference I guess. I don't use Maps too much, but it's nice to have when I need it. Been impressed so far.

Thanks,

David

·
8,584 Posts
Thanks again Jimmers!!! I will see what version I have and then go from there. How often should Maps typically be updated . . . once a year, every couple years, etc. Probably personal preference I guess. I don't use Maps too much, but it's nice to have when I need it. Been impressed so far. Thanks,David
You're right it's really a personal preference! I will update mine in 2018 if a 2018 update is available.

·
Road Junkie
1,852 Posts
Thanks again Jimmers!!! I will see what version I have and then go from there. How often should Maps typically be updated . . . once a year, every couple years, etc. Probably personal preference I guess. I don't use Maps too much, but it's nice to have when I need it. Been impressed so far.

Thanks,

David
There is no defined schedule for map updates. I bought a 2014 Ultra Limited in Sep 2013 and never saw an update available until January 2017, but by then I had already upgraded to a 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra. It may have been available a couple of months sooner, but that is the general timeframe.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There is no defined schedule for map updates. I bought a 2014 Ultra Limited in Sep 2013 and never saw an update available until January 2017, but by then I had already upgraded to a 2015 CVO Road Glide Ultra. It may have been available a couple of months sooner, but that is the general timeframe.
Good Information - Thanks!

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The most current mapping for North America is xx-MY2017 (xx = region, such as NA). You can check your map version on the Infotainment system and determine whether you have the latest. If you need to upgrade, go through Naviextras.com and follow the instructions to the letter. I recommend saving a copy of your digital fingerprint on your hard drive in case you have to re-download the map, as I had several failed download attempts and got tired of running back and forth between the computer and the bike to re-issue the digital fingerprint. Also, Naviextras requires a computer with Microsoft OS, it does not work with a computer running iOS. This one takes some patience, so good luck and have liquor nearby.
Might sound like a dumb question (I always tell my students that the dumbest question is the question that was never asked) . . . I'm assuming that "NA" means North America version versus "EU" meaning European. Is that correct? I was looking through Naviextras web page and saw a couple different options. Obviously I would choose NA, being live in Minnesota.

Thanks Again for all your help . . . It's very much appreciated!

·
8,584 Posts
Might sound like a dumb question (I always tell my students that the dumbest question is the question that was never asked) . . . I'm assuming that "NA" means North America version versus "EU" meaning European. Is that correct? I was looking through Naviextras web page and saw a couple different options. Obviously I would choose NA, being live in Minnesota.

Thanks Again for all your help . . . It's very much appreciated!
Not a dumb question...you are correct NA = North America...etc.

·
old scoot coot
2,916 Posts
please,while we are here i have a question. i bought my 2014 limited in december of 2015. it was used, 2800 mi. i got an extended warranty with it which expires in april of this year, i think the 17th. when i got the bike on dec 8th 2015 they said the did the annual update to the infotainment system, gps i assumed. they said they would do it every year free of charge until out of warranty. i've never taken it in for an update and it still works fine, i use it all the time. should i take it in for one more update before warranty expires? or should i just blow it off. thanks in advance and forgive me, i am a techno botard.

·
8,584 Posts
please,while we are here i have a question. i bought my 2014 limited in december of 2015. it was used, 2800 mi. i got an extended warranty with it which expires in april of this year, i think the 17th. when i got the bike on dec 8th 2015 they said the did the annual update to the infotainment system, gps i assumed. they said they would do it every year free of charge until out of warranty. i've never taken it in for an update and it still works fine, i use it all the time. should i take it in for one more update before warranty expires? or should i just blow it off. thanks in advance and forgive me, i am a techno botard.
Tommy...if the Dealer said they would update it during warranty, then I would take it in and let them do it. The most current map software for North America is NA-MY2017. It normally costs $149.95 for the upgrade if you do it and I'm sure the dealer would charge a labor charge in addition to that upgrade price.

Yes...I would recommend you get the maps upgraded asap. Let the dealer absorb the cost!!

·
old scoot coot
2,916 Posts
Tommy...if the Dealer said they would update it during warranty, then I would take it in and let them do it. The most current map software for North America is NA-MY2017. It normally costs $149.95 for the upgrade if you do it and I'm sure the dealer would charge a labor charge in addition to that upgrade price.

Yes...I would recommend you get the maps upgraded asap. Let the dealer absorb the cost!!
ok jimmers, thanks. i'll be shure and get her in for the update. i hope y'all are getting some riding in down there.:grin

·
Registered
642 Posts
I updated my "14 Ultra with a 2012 database with the new current '17 update. It also said it had some system software updates. I followed the instructions exactly and everything went well. Just rode @1700 miles in the last week. I set avoidances of unpaved roads, highways and toll roads. Preferences set to Twisty. I loaded my first destination and we took off, and it put us on side streets and once out of town I was directed to turn onto dirt roads. I thought I screwed up so I stopped the navigation, reset to Scenic and started out again. Again, I was directed to dirt roads. I cleared and reset all avoidances, and set my preference to Fastest, and yep dirt and gravel roads. It also directed turns when there was NO road to turn on to. I went back to my MADMAPS and turned off the nav. I no longer trust it at all. Anyone else having issues with the latest Nav update? I feel like I just got robbed of $149. I'll be calling them on Monday.

·
8,584 Posts
Did you delete the route before resetting the preferences? I've noticed the NAV will keep the current route until you delete it. Delete your route and then set your preferences again and it should give you what you want. :dunno

Would really like to find out WTF happened!! My update is NA-MY2015 and I don't have any problems like you described. I do have an occasional warning that my route may involve unfinished roads (I guess meaning dirt roads) but I never experienced them.

Please keep us posted on this as I am planning to update in 2018 if one is available. Thanks...

·
Road Junkie
1,852 Posts
I updated my "14 Ultra with a 2012 database with the new current '17 update. It also said it had some system software updates. I followed the instructions exactly and everything went well. Just rode @1700 miles in the last week. I set avoidances of unpaved roads, highways and toll roads. Preferences set to Twisty. I loaded my first destination and we took off, and it put us on side streets and once out of town I was directed to turn onto dirt roads. I thought I screwed up so I stopped the navigation, reset to Scenic and started out again. Again, I was directed to dirt roads. I cleared and reset all avoidances, and set my preference to Fastest, and yep dirt and gravel roads. It also directed turns when there was NO road to turn on to. I went back to my MADMAPS and turned off the nav. I no longer trust it at all. Anyone else having issues with the latest Nav update? I feel like I just got robbed of $149. I'll be calling them on Monday.
Did you use waypoints in your route planning? They are critical to ensuring the GPS adheres to your intended route. That said, you have to be careful with the placement of waypoints, especially when using H-D Route Planner. I have found that it's best to be zoomed-in to the lowest possible level when placing the waypoint, otherwise RP will randomly place it on a side road or in the oncoming lane of traffic which makes for some very strange diversions to satisfy the GPS' demonic sense of humor. I have since converted to a different route planner (MyRouteapp.com) that I find to be much more consistent and accurate.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts