Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '04 FLSTC. I don't use my rear brake much so i was surprised to hit it the other night and had no pedal. I got home, popped the top on the MC and she was dry. I filled it, bled the brakes and although I had something I'm not really happy with it. I'm 99% sure it's the MC and my question is this. Is it easier to just get another master cylinder or just put a kit in it. Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
MC rebuild kits are inexpensive and easy to do. Just be super careful you don't knick the seal on the piston when you put it in.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Breez3at. I've rebuilt a MC in the past so no problems there, I just wondered if it was worth it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Totally worth it! Took me about an hour and a half with the learning curve but all back together and working great. Took a few minutes to prime it but once it did and I bled it down we are all good.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Good job! Now you have good brakes AND some jingle left in your pocket. The self satisfaction is just a bonus. :thumbsup

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK guys, problem returned and I don't like the pedal I'm getting. Any thoughts on if there may still be air in the line or possibly a bad caliper as well. I'm sure this problem all started because of my lack of using my rear brake.

·
Just Ride
3,255 Posts
Bleed again.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fritz I refilled the reservoir twice. I'll run a whole bottle of fluid through the lines if I have to.

·
Registered
556 Posts
you probably have a bad seal at the caliper. You could also have pads that are not gripping well. Are they oil soaked. Or even have brake fluid on them.

·
Registered
236 Posts
FYI there is a recall for softail brake light switch in line leaking fluid we changed out my brothers prior to the recall have it checked out at your local shop for free replacement.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The pads are newer and dry, I'm just not getting much of a pedal. I'm going to try doing the caliper next Thanks XLReturnee. mcaccamise I'll get that checked....thank you.

·
Banned
71 Posts
The fluid was used when I bled the line. Nothing was leaking beforehand.
If your pedal is spongy, you still have air in lines. If the pedal bleeds off , the master cylinder rebuild did not fix it. Replace the master cylinder in that case.

:coffee:

·
Banned
71 Posts
Barely, enough so that it drops a little when bled but it's not getting up to where I think it should be.
Is the master cylinder piston getting a full stroke each time ???

If it is, is the pedal going half way or more before it firms up?

If it is, the master cylinder is not primed fully yet .

If it is not, and it will not pump up to a full pedal ; master cylinder needs to be replaced as the rebuild kit did not fix the problem. Cylinder is worn out of spec's.

:coffee:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts