Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys
I am a brand new rider and would like to get a 750 as my first bike. The dealer has a 2015 demo for sale
- less than 2000 KM
- two options have been already installed, the engine guard and passenger seat kit, which are worth CAD$1200 in total.

The sales rep told me a new 750 would be CAD$9300, I was offered to buy this demo bike at this price with the installed two options included

1. Would this be a good/reasonable deal?
2. Should I get the extended warranty?

Many thanks!!

·
Retired citizen
24,277 Posts
I'm not sure about the Canadian prices but the extended warranty is a smart move.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Extended warranty is good if you intend to keep the bike for a long time. As a new rider you may look at something else sooner rather than later. How much would it be w/o the warranty? Though you would get a credit for for leftover time on the esp you may never need it and are paying up front.

·
Registered
186 Posts
It doesn't sound like too bad of a deal, but then you're the only person who's opinion truly matters. If you feel that it's a good deal, or if it's a deal that you can live with, then I don't see anything wrong with it.

Personally I would stay away from a new bike, mostly because you said that you're a new rider. I made that mistake too many years ago to count, and as a result I had a fairly expensive bike that have several bumps and dings on it from where I dropped it a few times.

I believe that most here would agree, the majority of new riders will drop their bike at least once, perhaps even a few times. I think a new rider would be better off with a cheap metric or if you can find one a cheap HD, etc.

When I first started riding, I was told by someone who's been riding for 25+ yrs at the time to buy a relatively inexpensive bike that is the largest bike that I could comfortably handle, spending as little money as possible on it. This would not only give you a "beater" that you don't worry too much about dropping, but it'll also give you some experience working on it, even if it's just routine maintenance. After a couple of years, upgrade to the new bike that you want, safe in the knowledge that you've got some miles and experience behind you.

I didn't follow this advice. I bought a $10K sport bike that I dropped twice in the first 2 weeks that I owned it. I then dropped it about six months later. I finally sold the bike after almost 3 yrs and I don't believe that I even got $3K for it...

good luck

Exco

·
Asylum Inmate
12,377 Posts
I own an XG750. You will like it. My son is a new rider....matter I put 500 miles on it he and his wife "borrowed" it for their first trip. I have not seen the bike since, save the occasional visit to borrow tools to change the oil and such. It have 8800 miles on it now.

Make sure the fuel pump recall has been completed

Make sure the warranty count starts the day you buy it

Don't get the warranty extension... Engine is solid.

Offer 8100 Canadian for it. Get it for less than 8800 and you did good.

If you are over 5 foot 11 inches have them put in the tall boy seat as part of the deal.

·
Rocker Chik
3,317 Posts
I think its a great bike for a new rider. Take good care of it and it will take care of you. Be careful not to be cocky because thats when you might drop it and get all bummed out. When you do, try to fix it right away and keep it nice.

·
Registered
638 Posts
The bike is a demo so it probably has never been titled. When you buy you should have full factory warranty. Check on this. Find out if the extended warranty includes factory warranty time or is in addition to factory warranty time.

Reactions: Slandrew

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you very much to your all for all the great valuable comments!!!
I will request a further discount, make sure the fuel pump is done, will get more details about the extended warranty to see what it covers. (BTW, the quoted price does not include extended warranty)

Thanks again and you all have a nice evening!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts