Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems my new to 2014 ultra limited is a lot hotter then my 2011. I know more cubic inches but even with the shower heads it's really hot. Kicks the back cylinder out at every light. If it is in the high 80s to mid 90s. Does anybody else feel the same.

·
Asylum Inmate
11,568 Posts
Have that water pump checked!

·
American
26,353 Posts
103 is hotter than 96.... Remove cats, replace air intake, tune it in some form to richin A/F mix! Makes a difference! All it takes is $$$. Rear cylinder hasn't shut down since I made the changes.

·
Outlaw
562 Posts
Go get yourself a Harbor Freight infrared digital thermometer, it's cheap but gives you a reference other than thinking.

And jpassh2o hit the nail on the head, keep in mind new bikes have to meet noise and emissions specs so they come constipated and lean. Get it dialed in to perform and it will run cooler. The only thing to fear is voiding the warranty if any.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Seems my new to 2014 ultra limited is a lot hotter then my 2011. I know more cubic inches but even with the shower heads it's really hot. Kicks the back cylinder out at every light. If it is in the high 80s to mid 90s. Does anybody else feel the same.
If EITMS is enabled, the rear cylinder will kick out every time you come to a stop when the ambient air temperature is 80 deg F or higher.

·
Registered
21,839 Posts
Install an oil temp gauge , you will notice over time the temp goes down after the engine is broken in...... then if there is a sudden increase you will know somthin's not right internally, especially if you have loud pipes that might drown out engine noise.

·
Registered
93 Posts
X2 what Murf said. Doesn't matter what temp your engine is it will kick out that rear cylinder at 80 degrees or higher. It's much easier to prevent high Temps than it is to lower it after.

·
American
26,353 Posts
Go get yourself a Harbor Freight infrared digital thermometer, it's cheap but gives you a reference other than thinking.

And jpassh2o hit the nail on the head, keep in mind new bikes have to meet noise and emissions specs so they come constipated and lean. Get it dialed in to perform and it will run cooler. The only thing to fear is voiding the warranty if any.
The mods I did retained warranty. I verified with HD prior to doing. Of course I had a HD dealership do the work to make sure! Just a FYI to OP ambient air temp of 80 does not trigger EITMS system.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Is there a quick easy way to check the water pump
Pump and fans can be checked using bleed mode of operation.

Turn ignition switch on, don't start engine.
Turn throttle to greater than 50% and hold for at least 3 seconds.
Coolant pumps and fans start, release throttle.
Pump and fans will remain running until ignition switch is turned off.

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
Get a pair of XIEDS, bump your fuel mixture one point richer. Cut 20+ degrees on my oil temps.

·
Registered
429 Posts
The mods I did retained warranty. I verified with HD prior to doing. Of course I had a HD dealership do the work to make sure! Just a FYI to OP ambient air temp of 80 does not trigger EITMS system.
I do know that if I have the EITMS enabled on my 16 RGU, the rear fuel injector is shut off (EITMS Active) if all of the following conditions are met:

1. Ambient air temperature as measured by the sensor in the fairing is 80 deg F or higher.

2. Throttle is at idle.

3. Vehicle speed is less than 1 mph.

4. Engine rpm is less than 1200 rpm.

EITMS does not activate within the first four minutes of starting the vehicle.

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
The only thing to fear is voiding the warranty if any.
BUZZZZ!!!!!!!!

It is much harder to void a warranty than you think. They have to prove what you did broke what you are trying to get fixed.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mine does all this over 80 degrees sitting at stop sign or light under 1200 rpm drops back cylinder. Don't much care for this sounds like crap but just something else to live with.

·
Call me Gig.
3,964 Posts
Mine does all this over 80 degrees sitting at stop sign or light under 1200 rpm drops back cylinder. Don't much care for this sounds like crap but just something else to live with.
I notice you live in MD. If you don't want it on it can be turned off. It is easy on a Rushmore with the 6.5 stereo (don't know about the little radio bikes.) I think the Pre-Rushmores the dealer had to do it.

·
Registered
429 Posts
How do you do it through the 6.5 radio
The vehicle status screen is only going to tell you if the EITMS is disabled, enabled, or active. You get to the vehicle status screen display on the 6.5 radio by pressing the vehicle information switch.

EITMS is enabled or disabled by the following procedure:

Turn ignition switch on, push engine OFF/RUN switch to run position. Note: procedure can be done either with engine running or not running.

Push throttle to roll-off position and hold.

In about 3 seconds, the cruise indicator lamp will either flash green (EITMS enabled) or orange (EITMS disabled)

Another note: A flashing cruise control lamp indicates the EITMS setting, a solid non flashing lamp indicates the cruise control setting.

·
Non Linear
154 Posts
EITMS (had to get those letters before I forgot.

the 80 degree air temp, with the other conditions met) will not trigger the ETIMS on my 2011 FLHTK

Perhaps the actual triggers for ETIMS are different for the various years and models. (??)

Check the Owners manual. I may have to re-read that part but I remember engine oil temp was checked
but not air temp.

I try to not ride in 100+ temps, but in high 90s my ETIMS will not kick in whilst stopped in traffic.

It is activated, maybe it is not working. Time to sweat some and check it out before summer ends.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts