Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife and I are planning to be in Surprise, AZ for a couple weeks in March and I thought it would be better to just rent a bike there than try to haul or ride mine out of here.

Looked at Arrowhead H-D in Peoria, and Street Eagle in Scottsdale. Any thoughts? Any experiences? Would just like to get a bike for some AZ riding while there.

·
Registered
140 Posts
We use and recommend Chandler HD for all things. You are still looking at over $100 per day to rent a bike.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Just got corrected, Chandler doesn't rent anymore. But the prices are pretty much the same at all places.

·
Red and White
2,237 Posts
Yeah, prices are about the same no matter where you go. I check Sierra Vista HD and they were around 100 a day too. If you were going to be closer to me I would let you ride my Road King while you were here.

-Rohan

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, thanks! Most of the rentals look like about $130 a day for a Fat Boy or Road King. Some want a $3,000 deposit, too. Turns out I can trailer mine for a lot less. Hmm ... Have to think this over.

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts
I was going to rent a bike when I was in Orlando two years ago. It wasn't just expensive, they would hold you liable for a new tire if you picked up a nail. They wanted a big deposit too. If you use a credit or bankcard, you essentially sign away that you will let them charge up to the deductible for any damage to the bike.

The agreement was a typical Harley dealership line of BS that would let them charge you first and ask questions later. I passed.

It would have been less expensive to trailer my Dyna from NC to Orlando and it certainly would have been a lot less hassle.

Pete

Hey, thanks! Most of the rentals look like about $130 a day for a Fat Boy or Road King. Some want a $3,000 deposit, too. Turns out I can trailer mine for a lot less. Hmm ... Have to think this over.

·
Asylum Inmate
12,241 Posts
Look into Eagle Rider (480) 970-0120 in Tempe AZ. About 96 bucks a day for a Street Glide.

Also if you are an AMA member they have discounts.

Call your insurance company and they can usually cover the supplement for 25 bucks or so under your own policy.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Look into Eagle Rider (480) 970-0120 in Tempe AZ. About 96 bucks a day for a Street Glide.

Also if you are an AMA member they have discounts.

Call your insurance company and they can usually cover the supplement for 25 bucks or so under your own policy.
Good info !

Its alarming how often people just pay rather than check to see what coverage they already have in place. "Rental Cars" are an excellent example of this. Folks regularly pay $20 - $30 per day extra for coverage they already have under the credit card they're using or their own auto policy. I've put a claim through my CC. Easy as pie and no deductible.

Anyhow, thanx for the heads up bro :D.

·
las drogas son malas
3,248 Posts
Look into what your insurance covers vs what their coverage offers. Also -and this is really important- inquire what their policy is regarding repairing damage. When my wife dropped a rental Road Glide Special in our driveway and caused this minor damage:

ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1423418793.472239.jpg
ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1423418807.143199.jpg
ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1423418819.202675.jpg

...they (House of Thunder in Morgan Hill, CA) charged us full retail REPLACEMENT cost for the inner fairing, outer fairing and saddle bag. $2400. They offered no insurance on the bike (yes, you read that right; if the bike gets stolen you owe them $26,000) but our insurance covered it after we paid the $500 deductible. Our rates will go up over the next 4 years, costing us an additional $1200, so in the end we will have paid $1700 for a one day rental. Renting is a great option, just be aware of what you could be in for financially.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have very good insurance and I've checked on the coverage of rentals in the past. I'm good for it all. We have an umbrella policy, as well, because of the farm and all.

Still thinking about it. Will check Eagle Rider. I may only get to do a day or two, anyway, so it won't be too bad.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Look into what your insurance covers vs what their coverage offers. Also -and this is really important- inquire what their policy is regarding repairing damage. When my wife dropped a rental Road Glide Special in our driveway and caused this minor damage:

View attachment 313850
View attachment 313858
View attachment 313866

...they (House of Thunder in Morgan Hill, CA) charged us full retail REPLACEMENT cost for the inner fairing, outer fairing and saddle bag. $2400. They offered no insurance on the bike (yes, you read that right; if the bike gets stolen you owe them $26,000) but our insurance covered it after we paid the $500 deductible. Our rates will go up over the next 4 years, costing us an additional $1200, so in the end we will have paid $1700 for a one day rental. Renting is a great option, just be aware of what you could be in for financially.
I have very good insurance and I've checked on the coverage of rentals in the past. I'm good for it all. We have an umbrella policy, as well, because of the farm and all.

Still thinking about it. Will check Eagle Rider. I may only get to do a day or two, anyway, so it won't be too bad.
Yep, you get what you pay for. Time and experience have taught me that lesson and taught it well. I no longer premium shop for insurance. I carry "All Perils" replacement coverage only and pay the piper. On any claim, I pay 50 bux and walk. If I haven't had an at fault accident during the previous 6 years, my premiums don't go up.

As I posted above, I claimed for damage to a rental car 2 years ago, using the insurance provided with my gold card. There was no deductible and no premiums to increase in the first place. I made a phone call, signed some forms, provided my car rental agreement and my credit card bill verifying I had used my card for the rental. That was it !

I rent a car for approximately 100 days in any given year. My election to refuse the rental outfit's insurance saves me over $2,000 a year. That more than pays for my entire automotive "all perils" coverage on my personal car and makes a substantial payment on my MC premium too. To be accurate, I'd have to include the $200 service fee for maintaining my Gold Card in my costs and though this covers a package of bullshit services I rarely use, it would be fair to call it an insurance premium. The important thing for most carriers of such cards is NOT to forget the automatic coverage they provide when you use them to rent a car. "It works" !

·
Asylum Inmate
12,241 Posts
Don't forget you Medical on your own policy. When I get a rider for rental I pay like three bucks more for my medical (I pay for higher limits for myself and passenger and it kicks in if the motorist is under insured or uninsured) to follow me on a rental.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts