Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks of the harley davidson forum. I come here seeking input from a well known community and forum. Several years back (6 years) the proud owner of a 2003 dyna super glide (my father) passed away. It has been sitting ever since he died. Now since am at legal age of driving this bike, i figured to put the rmz-450 away and start riding a real mans bike. I want to work on the bike myself. I just drained the oil. However, i need input on what should be done to this bike to prepare it for the roads and pass inspection. Any suggestions will be considered and appreciated. Thanks bikers:) :feedback:

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,145 Posts
Get the service manual...
But right off the top of my head tires
Battery
Gas

·
Registered
43,113 Posts
Drain the fuel, put fresh gas in it.
Add some seafoam in the gas.

Pull plugs, squirt some WD-40 in the spark plug hole.

Drain oil tank, primary case, and transmission, and put fresh oil in there.

Check if battery needs replaced.

Check tires for dry rot.

Get service manual, and basically go over everything that is in the major service (10K, 20K etc)

·
Mississippi Cajun
25,195 Posts
Start with tires. They've been sitting probably in one position for 6 years, and even in the garage are subject to chemical deterioration. Replace 6 year old battery.
Drain the gas tank. refill and use Sea Foam. Take carb apart. Clean/replace parts as needed. Repack wheel bearings. Might even be better to replace them because again, sitting in one position for 6 years could have them with flat spots.
Above all, get a HD service manual for that scoot and go through the entire service procedure. That will definitely cover the stuff I ain't thinking of sitting here. Good luck and enjoy the riding.

·
Registered
43,113 Posts
That service manual is your bible..... Provided you have the MoCo service manual, not Haynes or Chiltons.

·
Registered
43,113 Posts
Since the bike was sitting for quite a while, all of the chrome is slightly spotted. What kind of polish do you recommend to get that chrome shinning again
NevrDull works great, you can get it at WalMart.

·
HawgDawg
265 Posts
Mother's Chrome Polish. Tires are most likely deteriorated, even though it may not be visible to the naked eye. Check the sidewalls, not the tread. They may still be o.k., but I'd begin budgeting for new ones, hell, they're not that expensive and your life depends on them.

Replace the plugs without even looking at them. 5 bones apiece and 4 minutes to change.

I'd think about taking the tank off and flushing it, then check the inside for corrosion.

Rubber goes first, so look for cracks in rubber lines, and the belt too. To check the belt, take it off, curl it up under a very bright light or out in the sun and look for hidden cracks.

I recently bought a bike that sat for almost 15 years, put a new front tire on it and everything else is fine.

·
Asylum Inmate
12,733 Posts
Please bleed your brakes through a complete flush!

Chrome......

·
Registered
795 Posts
If you need tires, learn to do them yourself and mail order the tires if you want the parts cheaper too.There's always someone around to help with stuff like that. Crap if you;re in the Richmond ares a would help with my (limited) skills.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.