Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't be the only one who has managed to eff up the "Media door, latch or compartment" on the inner fairing! I searched the forum prior to posting, no results.
I busted something on that.. It worked just fine until Sundays ride... I glance down and see my phone attempting to exit the bike while cruising at 65 mph. The door opened and now it closes crooked, I can get it to latch closed but, it wont hold. Suggestions please!
2014 FLHTCU... I know someone will ask what bike!

It seems that the inboard hinge has let go... Which part of the media compartment gets replaced? The door $65 from Ronnie's, The latch $15 (but that kinda works). Or am i screwed... The media compartment on Ronnie's $0.00 I assume this means "not available"?

Looking at the manual, the spot lights, outer faring and faring brace all come off to get to it.. I don't want to disable the bike to "look" for the bad part. I'm OK with tearing it down for the repair, but just to see which part is effed up, not so much. TIA !

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
WTF? When i posted this, the site came back with: "oops something went wrong please try again later"... I did, it posted twice? Would one of you fine Mods please fix this...Thank you!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am re-posting the solution that i came up with: From "what did you do with your bike today" Just in case someone else looks it up at a latter date:
Today i turned her Sportster around to make enough room to get between the bikes.

Then i decided to take a look at that problem i had with the "Media Compartment".. It gave up staying shut and tried to toss my cellphone during the last ride. The latch is working? But the door closes crooked. Wont stay shut, even empty...

Removed the passing lights, windshield, front faring and the radio support bracket.. All to get to just one screw.:oops:
Once i got the media compartment removed from the Inner Faring, the problem was easily spotted.. The inboard hinge arm had broken. I priced a replacement from my dealership $135. :whistle: I decided to try ye ole' "stitches in a bottle" (super-glue). I figure at worst case i will have to pull it again. It seems to be holding just fine! :p Thanks to that very convenient spring applying pressure on that arm. We will wait and see if it holds...

I cleaned up all the dirt and grime that was hidden under the faring and got it all back together. Then decided to give her a well needed bubble bath. Got everything all bright and shinny again. View attachment 781917

I decided to add this pic because I am impressed how well these products perform! That S100 just took off 6 years of grey from this motor (y)
So far, so good! It still works a day later anyway...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts