Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Bros, I'm new to the site and have a question that will make or break a bike deal... I'm looking at an '04 Softail Standard that a local used bike dealer has. Nice looking scooter,clean and runs an rides great. The only thing is the plastic over the odometer is melted so you can't tell the mileage. And then the guy says this is the 5th or 6th bike he has bought with this same problem.
Have any of you ever heard of this (or had it happen) ? Nobody I've ask has ever heard of it.
I have a couple of riding partners who have bought bikes from this guy and have not had any problems, and the price on this bike seems to be fair ($6995) but I gotta bad feelin ....
What do Ya'll think ? Thanx for the feedback !

·
Retired citizen
22,051 Posts
I've seen something odd like that happen already. Bike was parked at such an angle that the sun reflected in the rear view mirror and shined a hot spot on the tank, blistered and melted the paint !!! Another one, a Buell, same thing but it melted the seat !!!

·
Bird Whisperer
1,739 Posts
Years ago I had a Honda Pacific Coast. The top edge of the windshield worked like a magnifying glass in the sun and melted a line across the dash panel.

·
On the loose
8,674 Posts
Wondering ...... is the mileage held in the ECM ? If you put a different speedometer on will it display the correct mileage ?

·
Registered
36,935 Posts
Wondering ...... is the mileage held in the ECM ? If you put a different speedometer on will it display the correct mileage ?
Depends on the year. '04 was held in the speedometer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanx folks, Its an '04 and the odometer is plastic and looks like its raised up above the speedo. It could have been done by the sun somehow,but with this guy saying he has seen it 5 times in his shop is kind of a red flag. The search continues ...
Hey Lab, what part of East Tex are you in ? I'm from Sulphur Springs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts