Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is still in the "planning and maybe I'll get to do it this year" stage. The purpose is to be in PA and maybe speak at a planned memorial for a fallen shipmate.

I don't plan to hurry, and do intend to stop a lot and visit folks I've know both in real-time and virtually for the past 40 years, and see some sights. I'm going to avoid slab as much as possible.

Here's the planned route. It is a shot from the HOG ride planner and is still being fine tuned. Will continue to fine tune until late April or so. Plan to be on the other end on Memorial Day.

Attachments

·
Registered
326 Posts
Looks like a great trip for an awesome purpose...your buddy will be smiling down on you...you can remember the good times on the trip...
If you want some variety on the way home, I have a place in mass. And one in the white mountains of new hampshire...you would be most welcome at either place on your trip...
The riding in the white mountains is sweet...I always have trouble going home when I go up...I'm retired but the wife has a couple years to go...when I finally show up a couple days late, she always reminds me nicely (she's a keeper...LOL) of when I was supposed to be home...LOL.
Ride safe on the trip and thanks for your service and your friends.

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,328 Posts
Let us know when you will swing past Chicago. Would meet and ride for a while; do some lunch/dinner.

I'm sure there are others in the area that would join you for a while too.

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
Let us know if you come toward WNY also

·
Registered
827 Posts
Looks like a great trip. Near stop 15 you can hit the flight 93 memorial near shanksville. If I ever get a tattoo it will say "93" along with "Let's Roll". I plan to visit there as soon as the weather breaks. Enjoy your trip. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As mentioned, the route will probably change quite a bit. After chat with buddy in NY, I'll head there, then go down through PA. After the service, I may go to The Wall, and I have some folks in NJ I'd like to see before turning back.

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
Let us know when you will swing past Chicago. Would meet and ride for a while; do some lunch/dinner.

I'm sure there are others in the area that would join you for a while too.

And we'd actually show! :rollin

Looks like an epic ride, man. Make sure you start a thread so we can follow along with you.

·
Lost in Space
6,859 Posts
Looks like you will be going right through my area in eastern Ohio. Let me know when you are coming through and dinner is on me.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Very cool ride. That's a trip that will always be remembered. I rode very close to same rout and will do it again. If anywhere near flight 93 you should do it. At the archway to the rock where plane hit ground is a overwhelming spot. I'm not an emotional guy by no means but when you stand there in silence lets just say there is a lot of feels and sadness for the lives lost at that spot. Have fun ride safe.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay, planning continues. I've done some more tweaking on the route. I'll have dates and times more ironed out soon. Basically, I'm planning to leave on May 17, run between 400-600 mile days. I'll stop quite a bit for pics and take in some of the sights. Would love to have company at any point on the way, if any of you want to wander through some of these places. I've tried my best to stay on US or local highways, with no more than a couple hours total on freeways. I will be stopping at Wounded Knee to pay respects. It has been a long time.

The return trip may be north or south. Haven't decided, yet. I'm meeting my old shipmate (haven't seen him in 41 years but we have phone conversations like we've never been apart) in East Concord, NY, and we'll be heading to Lancaster, then Springfield, PA, together. Maybe with one or two more outlaws (note lower case). I'm looking forward to that run across northern PA. Always wanted to do that.

Attachments

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
East Concord is about 45 mins. from me.

·
Lost in Space
6,859 Posts
If your going through Canton Ohio, you will be right by me. Look forward to meeting up with you.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
As mentioned, the route will probably change quite a bit. After chat with buddy in NY, I'll head there, then go down through PA. After the service, I may go to The Wall, and I have some folks in NJ I'd like to see before turning back.
Rapier,
I'm in NJ, about 25 minutes from NYC. If you have time on your run through I'd be up for a meet and greet.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Gampa, Johnny and I will have to connect.
peanut, that is a "fur sure."
duecedog, there are possibilities. I won't go into Manhattan again, but have a friend I wanted to connect with in NJ, so might work out.

As said, I will keep the forum posted. And, anyone who wants to keep me company on any part is welcome.

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
I'm sure we can round up a few local members when you come up this way.

·
Hard Member
3,238 Posts
If you happen to drop down into Virginia and DC area and I am free I will try to meet you

1 - 20 of 25 Posts