Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday, I leave for a Memorial Day event to honor one of my shipmates who did not make it home. Joseph Grisafi was one of 20 people killed in a turret explosion on our ship (USS Newport News CA-148 -- heavy cruiser) on Oct. 1, 1972 in Vietnam.

I was contacted in November by his older brother. Turns out the American Legion is honoring Joe in his home town of Springfield, PA, with a parade and some speakers.

Turns out, my friend and former shipmate from western NY (John) and I will be in the parade on our bikes and I've been asked to speak.

I'll have some time to think about what I want to say on the trip.

Here is my planned route, by day. If anyone wants to ride along for any part of this, feel free. I plan to start most days around 7 am, and will stop as fuel, rest and photo opps require.

Day One, May 16 - Spokane to Bozeman

Map Line Ecoregion World

Day Two, May 17 - Bozeman to Custer

Map Text Line Ecoregion

Day Three, May 18 - Custer to Grand Island

Map Line

Day Four, May 19 - Grand Island to Savanna

Map Text Line Ecoregion Diagram

Day Five, May 20 - Savanna to Lafayette (breakfast in Rockport)

Map Text Line Ecoregion Atlas

Day Six, May 21 - Lafayette to eastern Ohio

Text Blue Line Map Diagram

Day Seven, May 22 - eastern Ohio to East Concord

Map Text Ecoregion Atlas Line

I'll stay at John's for a day, then we ride together to Lancaster. We ride to Springfield early Monday morning for the parade and memorial. Afterward, John and I will head to York and Gettysburg.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Good Luck Rapier. Long ride but for a good cause.

If I get fired before then I'll meet you in Grand Island.

·
Registered
219 Posts
This is what Memorial Day is truly about, honoring a fallen warrior. Have a safe trip my brother. Just realized you live in Washington State. I was in a Rapid Deployment Force stationed out of Ft. Lewis

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is what Memorial Day is truly about, honoring a fallen warrior. Have a safe trip my brother. Just realized you live in Washington State. I was in a Rapid Deployment Force stationed out of Ft. Lewis
After the Navy, I did about 10 years in the Army Reserve. One of my jobs in the 80's was planning the defense of South Korea in the days leading up to the Seoul Olympics. As a member of the reserve elements of 9th ID in those days, we were nothing like a rapid deployment force. ;-)

We're all brothers in service, bagger.

·
Banned
2,466 Posts
You will be near me on the 22nd, I may be able to get down near the PA. border to ride up to East Concord with you.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Great ride for a great cause.
I'll be prayin' for you a safe journey.
Peace to ya, and thank you for your service. You represent all that is right with our country.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Had to bail on the Grand Island KOA, due to weather and getting a bit behind. I rerouted and made Mitchell, SD tonight. Will head toward Dubuque, IA, tomorrow. After that, things should be back to the previous planning.

Got some pics today. I couldn't upload a couple due to size limitations. If you want a more complete description of today, check the Day Three post at www.rapier57.com.

Thanks for your support.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
If you are talking about the Sunday-Monday storm that came through here you did well to avoid it.

·
Hard Member
3,256 Posts
Had to bail on the Grand Island KOA, due to weather and getting a bit behind. I rerouted and made Mitchell, SD tonight. Will head toward Dubuque, IA, tomorrow. After that, things should be back to the previous planning.

Got some pics today. I couldn't upload a couple due to size limitations. If you want a more complete description of today, check the Day Three post at www.rapier57.com.

Thanks for your support.
Awsome rapier57! Keep us posted.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts