Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried this wind screen on a soft tail, any opinions feed back? Thinking about it for my fatboy on longer highway rides. It's detachable
:think

Bullet Fairing

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
You going for look or function?

If the denim black Fatty in the avatar is yours, it ought to look pretty good. But, I don't see it actually doing a whole lot functionally.

·
Delusional43
43 Posts
Memphis Shades Bullet Fairing

I have a 2012 Fat Boy Lo and I've put the bullet on my bike. I love the looks of the fairing however I am a little disappointed with the fairing performance. It keeps a lot of the wind from hitting my body but seems to direct the wind into my forehead. If you are really short it may work fine. I'm only 5'8" and even with the curve on the top of the fairing I still get hit in the head mainly on the highway in town it's fine. It is also quick release and even though the clamps to hold on the fairing are really tight it still buzzes when I get up there in RPM's and I've checked and rechecked my fasteners to ensure they are tight. I would not buy the same one again though. I am thinking about the batwing fairing now and would like to get the one with the radio... I must be getting old. I would go with the plain old Harley style fairing or a batwing next time around.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You going for look or function?

If the denim black Fatty in the avatar is yours, it ought to look pretty good. But, I don't see it actually doing a whole lot functionally.
Yes it's my bike but,
I was going for function but after reading both your and mhuff posts I don't think it's for me. Just didn't want full blown wind shield but on long highway 70+ mph rides , wind is getting to me.
Thanks for the feedback it helps

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I was going for function but after reading both your and mhuff posts I don't think it's for me. Just didn't want full blown wind shield but on long highway 70+ mph rides , wind is getting to me.
Thanks for the FB it helps
Just get the quick release set up. I had it on my Heritage. It works great. You can yank the shield off instantly, and it takes about 10 seconds to put it back on. You can just use it when you want to.

Careful though. Once you get used to a windshield, it's hard to ride without one! :)

·
Senile Member
1,710 Posts
I'll tell ya one thing, getting something is going to greatly reduce the buffeting and rock hits. It will greatly reduce your fatigue from the wind blasting you. I've gone half most my life or riding without a windshield. Then in 98 I rented a Heritage with no shield and rode with a buddy and his RK. We did 600 miles one way and on the way back, I tried his RK that had a wind shield. It was like night and day, the fatigue from the wind was gone and I could enjoy the ride allot more. Doo look for a detachable so you can remove it for round town riding.

I had a Dyna with a removable and it was great, but I did notice I rode more and more with it on because I always hoped up on the freeway and wished I had it. But it was nice to take it off to toodle around town.

·
Go SEAHAWKS!!
807 Posts
so you're going for function meaning you want wind off your chest, head and arms? If so like others have said a quick release windshield would be the way to go. BUT if you are just wanting the wind pressure off your chest then the bullet fairing should work fine. Just depends on what type of functionality you want.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wanting to reduce the wind from my head and face, I like the looks of the fairing but after reading all the posts it doesn't seem like it will accomplish that. One poster said he has it on his FB and it didn't work as well as he thought it would either. Didn't want a full wind shield tho. Guess I have to just crank up the tunes and deal with it....

Thanks for all the responses def answered my question, I prolly would have bought it and been disappointed

·
Registered
105 Posts
you can purchase memphis shades batwing and windshield for your bike i use it when its cold or for long drives on my fatbob works great.

·
Registered
105 Posts
by the way they have quick release kitsfor them to remove when not in use. would post pics but need to take the coarse first.(dont have url links for my pics)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts