Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Puttin' on my rain gear and leavin' tomorrow evening from Chicago (just to get out of the city), taking Halsted Street (IL-1) all the way to the river country on Thursday... hangin' out in Murray/Paris with my sister for a couple days and then it's Memphis! I could not resist the temptation of good music, good food and, of course, the King!

YEAH!!!!!

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
Sounds awesome, enjoy! I guess youll be having a little less conversation a little more action!

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Darn tootin'! Hey, Olive - gimme a shout if yer out an' about!

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
KBO... You're going to have a great time. Great riding ahead for you! Remember Cairo, IL if you're near (Miss & Ohio merging), and see Beale St. in Memphis... food, music, etc.

Speaking of the King...if you have a moment, about 1/4 mile from Beale St. see the Lorraine Motel. It is preserved exactly as it was when Martin Luther King was shot, including the cars in front, the lights in the rooms, the draperies/furniture of the rooms, etc. And across the street is the warehouse window opened up slightly for the rifle. It is all lit up at night if in the area after the sun has set. No cost.

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Saturday night on Beale Street - check
"Walking in Memphis" tour if I can get up Sunday morning - check
Post-tour Sunday brunch at the Peabody - check
Civil Rights Museum - check
Lorraine Motel - check
Graceland - check
Cairo on the way home - check (pray for DRY weather!)
3 hour "greatest hits" tour in the back of a '55 Caddy - definite maybe

"must-eats" (so I've been told):

Interstate BBQ
Little Dix Flying Fish
The Rendezvous

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Froze my a$$ off on the way down... it was a balmy 41 degrees when I left Waukegan at 6 a.m. last Thursday. Abandoned my plans for taking the backroads cuz it was just too cold to be fun, and blasted down I-57. Stopped at my "regular" b-fast place in Gilman (BP truck stop at the junction of 45/24) to get some hot food/coffee inside me then hit rain a few miles later, in Paxton. Put on my raingear only to have the pants 'blow out' and shred just north of Champaign... rode the rest of the way to Effingham leaving streamers of bright blue plastic behind me. It was a coin toss at that point... Wal-Mart for another cheapie suit, or the HD store... whichever one came first. Yep... Harley won. Bit the bullet, let the moths outta my wallet and bought myself a grown-up rainsuit and a sweater off the clearance rack (that suit had better last me the next 20 years!) met some cool folks from central MN and Kenosha who were on their way to Myrtle Beach and other points south, then suited up and continued on my soggy way. Took a potty break near Marion and met another rider at the rest area, he had ridden all the way from Colorado (mostly in the rain) and was headed to M.B. as well. It rained most of the way to Mount Vernon. So glad I was headed south - watching the air temp gauge creep ever so slowly upward :) Made it to the sunny skies of Murray, KY in time to have dinner with my sister and her family. Did lots of family stuff... the graduation ceremonies went on for two days and I didn't make it out of Paris until a day and a half later than planned.

Because of my family stuff, the Memphis itin was seriously abbreviated... started wandering in a southwesterly direction around noon on Sunday, bucking a STIFF headwind as the skies continued to clear (lots of rain/storms the night before). Rode into Memphis on fumes... got gas across the street from Graceland, waved at Elvis then headed to the hotel. I checked into the Peabody in time to have an awesome Bloody Mary and see the resident ducks parade from the lobby fountain into the elevator and up to their rooftop "suite", then got cleaned up for a dinner of BBQ ribs and "award-winning" gumbo at King's Palace (on the recommendation of the bellman). O-M-G. I took a bite of meat and the heady hickory-smoke aroma filled my nose and mouth. Sweet heaven. Spent the rest of the evening wandering up/down Beale drinkin' Yuengling and gettin' my blues on... crowds are thin on a Sunday night... Around midnight, I danced back to my 'slice of Paradise' hotel room on the 11th floor, room service delivered breakfast promptly at 8:30 as promised, after a leisurely meal en suite headed over to the Civil Rights museum, spent over two hours going thru... WOW. The realization that Jim Crow is still alive and well in parts of our great country saddens me. Headed out of town on 51 north enjoying the bright, warm sunshine and followed my nose to some roadside bbq for lunch an hour or so later. Big ol platter of pulled pork, beans, tato salad - the works - washed down with sweet tea and a square of homemade pineapple cake, all for six dollars. I could make a life out of riding my motorcycle, eating my way across America. Jumped off, took the scenic route through NW TN and KY, circling back around to 51 in Wyckliffe dangerously close to sunset. I missed the confluence of the rivers 'cuz I wanted to be a little further north before nightfall (it was gettin' COLD again, too!)

Yep, I'll be headed back that way soon - too much left to see!

·
1,074 Posts
Great read, thanks for that!
Sounds like you had a blast, I'd love to do something like that...someday soon I hope.

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OMG OMG OMG Baby ran AWESOME!!! Not even so much as a burp... and on one stretch, I went 167 miles between gas stops! She's smoooth as buttah, pulls like a freight train... I love my motorcycle again.

Did I mention, there were no bike problems on this trip? (giggling)

·
STAND AND FIGHT!
13,194 Posts
I know this going to make me feel like a real girlie-man biker, but I have to ask, how many miles was this trip?
Added curiosity, how many miles in the rain?

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
OMG OMG OMG Baby ran AWESOME!!! Not even so much as a burp... and on one stretch, I went 167 miles between gas stops! She's smoooth as buttah, pulls like a freight train... I love my motorcycle again.

Did I mention, there were no bike problems on this trip? (giggling)
:dance Celebrate! Celebrate! Dance to the Music!! :dance

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know this going to make me feel like a real girlie-man biker, but I have to ask, how many miles was this trip?
Added curiosity, how many miles in the rain?
Around 500 from where I started to my sister's, then about 145 from her house to Memphis... then about 580 back to Waukegan (or so Mapquest says). Figure a bit more because I did a lil' "meandering" between here and there... so I'd say maybe 1300 or so.

Interesting... Mapquest says it was only 170 miles in the rain... is it just me, or does it seem like FOREVER when you're actually riding thru it?:ride

·
BatRod
502 Posts
You mean nothing fell off? :eek: Its a Harley, babe. Stuff is SUPPOSED to break. You will ruin the image.

Sounds like a great trip. :dance

1 - 17 of 17 Posts