Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
FOG :-(
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DNM...my bud and I were riding today and met you just south of 2410 (kinda SW of Nolanville) about 2:55 PM. You playing hooky? We waved, as did you, but there was too much traffic to turn around and run you down to say hi.

T113

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
I'll be darned. I didn't recognize y'all.

It was just too nice today so I left at lunch to clean the bike up and get in a few miles.

After I came back home, I put on a few things like the footpegs, a backrest, some chrome trim on all of the speakers (front and back) and around the radio and put on the windshield bag. Then I went back out and tested the pegs for about 50 more miles.

I wanted to mount my satellite radio and add another power socket but it got dark and I got hungry. I just don't feel like pulling the front of the fairing off tonight.

I started to call you from the Harker Heights HD, Ft. Hood HD, to see if you were on the golf course and wanted to meet me at the Alley, but I obviously wouldn't have got you.

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
no kidding?!
those ultras really do have everything, don't they?
They don't call them "Ultra" for nothing.

The defroster for my windshield wasn't working right this morning in the fog. I guess I'll have to have my air conditioner checked.:rofl:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Jim,

The 'air conditioner' on an Ultra works much better after you install ape hangers....... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

The defroster for my windshield wasn't working right this morning in the fog. I guess I'll have to have my air conditioner checked.:rofl:
My stock windshield fogged like a biatch when I went to Boerne a couple weeks or so ago. I've since installed a lower, wider tinted windshield I can actually see over.

T113

·
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll be darned. I didn't recognize y'all.

I started to call you from the Harker Heights HD, Ft. Hood HD, to see if you were on the golf course and wanted to meet me at the Alley, but I obviously wouldn't have got you.
Nope out and about...nice two hour or so ride. I'm not playing golf now.....low back (L5-S1) is too screwed up. Riding with a backrest is okay, though, unless it's a bad pain day. I've already had my new MRI....appointment with Rahm in about 10 days.

T113

·
Registered
188 Posts

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Jim,

The 'air conditioner' on an Ultra works much better after you install ape hangers....... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
i got ape hangers. how hard is it to install the phairing, and lowers, and hard bags, and tour pack, so i can get an air conditioner, and cigarette lighter?

:rofl: :rofl:

·
Registered
47 Posts
I wanted to mount my satellite radio and add another power socket but it got dark and I got hungry. I just don't feel like pulling the front of the fairing off tonight.
What kind of satellite radio are you installing? The HD XM unit or something else?

I never thought I'd go for a sat radio but my truck came with Sirius and I listen to it all the time. I don't know if I want to spring for the big bucks it takes to install the HD supplied XM unit though.

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
I'm running a Roady 2 XM. I just got a direct antenna connection to plug into the back of the radio. On the SG I just hung the radio on the mount and transmitted to the HD radio.

This time I am going to hardwire the wires. I'll still be able to take the radio off and on and move it to the truck or the house. Everything but the radio itself will be inside the fairing. HD wants way too much money for what is, in essence, a CD to reprogram your radio to receive XM. Someone will take care of that eventually.

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

i got ape hangers. how hard is it to install the phairing, and lowers, and hard bags, and tour pack, so i can get an air conditioner, and cigarette lighter?

:rofl: :rofl:
It is actually a piece of cake. Take that child's toy of yours to the dealer with a checkbook and about $20,000 and you'll have a man's bike.:rofl:

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm running a Sirius 'Starmate' satellite radio on my Ultra. Have the external FM transmitter on top of the radio under the fairing, that way it transmits directly into the radio on frequency 88.5 without any FM stations breaking in. It also has the capability to pick any frequency I want in case I am in an area where 88.5 is in use.

Head unit is on the laft handlebar, RAM mounted and removeable any time I need to. Just unplug the wires and take off the RAM mount. I also use the combo mount that allows the new style micro antenna to be mounted right behind the head unit on the left handlebar, saves running a lot of extra wire that way.

Only reason I chose Sirius over XM is because I already have a Sirius in each vehicle, so adding on additional units after the first one are just $5.95 extra a month each.

Here's a picture i took while riding on my last outing:

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Only reason I chose Sirius over XM is because I already have a Sirius in each vehicle, so adding on additional units after the first one are just $5.95 extra a month each.
Hmmm, good point. I already have Sirius so maybe that would be, subscription wise, cheaper.

It doesn't seem that anyone uses the AUX input on the HD radio to connect. Why not? I figured that would be a better signal and simpler than FM transmission.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Tom,

The only reason I chose not to go with the input jack on the front of the H-D radio was the thought of having a wire dangling there, blowing about in the wind, etc.

The Starmate by Sirius is pretty popular at Circuit City stores, was less than $100.00. My son bought it as a Christmas present for me a year ago. I previously had one of the very first satellite units mounted permenantly on the bike, big receiver mounted inside the tour-pak, cables under the gas tank, antenna on top of the center console, etc. The newer technology of the Starmate allowed me to remove all that old stuff and clean things up a lot.

The Starmate also has a couple of pretty neat features that I like: It has a replay button where you can replay a song that you like; and most importantly, it has a feature that allows you to adjust the brightness and contrast of the display screen. That way it can be fully visible in bright sunlight like the picture I posted above, but adjusted down so it does not blind me at night. Also has larger than normal buttons on the right side where you change channels or access the menu, easy for use with gloves on. On the Starmate, I can also adjust the size of the type on the display screen..... so I can read it without glasses, LOL !!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts