Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a full fluid change yesterday.

Nothing out of the ordinary on any of the three plugs.

I used the plastic bottle trick for the oil filter.

When I was done I noticed small non magnetic metal pieces in the oil that drained out of the filter.

About the size of an average grain of sand, none of them looked like shavings. Appeared to be aluminium or magnesium or like pot metal.

I'd say about an 1/8th of a teaspoon or maybe alittle more.

Anything to be concerned about ?

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,113 Posts
ima guessin 2008 Street Glide... Anny Copper Pearl and Vivid Black.

I have no guess however on the cam work or miles.

Non metallic... tensioner fragments? <-- another guess.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it is a 2008. 13,500 miles.

Last oil change was at 10,000 done by dealer as part of 10k service.

I'm the 2nd owner, to my knowledge no engine work has ever been done.

2008, hydraulic cam tensioners ?

I stopped by the dealer today, they said "probably" nothing to worry about, so good to go right ?

Realistically how would you know without tearing it down.

btw, bikes runs and sounds great, no odd noises.

·
Registered
139 Posts
If you are running a K&N they are notorious for sucking in dust, you do not get more air without letting in other things.

That filter and riding in dusty conditions could do ot if it all feels the same still. If you need more air I would go with a amsoil air filter. Gets more air with same or better filtration than a stock filter, blows away the k&n. Its the only amsoil product I believe that lives up to their over exagerated claims on just about anything they sell.

Anyway just a question and some thoughts lol. Dump the k&n though if you are a rider and not just a hobby rider that will get along ok with one of them filters.

·
812 Posts
If you are running a K&N they are notorious for sucking in dust, you do not get more air without letting in other things.

That filter and riding in dusty conditions could do ot if it all feels the same still. If you need more air I would go with a amsoil air filter. Gets more air with same or better filtration than a stock filter, blows away the k&n. Its the only amsoil product I believe that lives up to their over exagerated claims on just about anything they sell.

Anyway just a question and some thoughts lol. Dump the k&n though if you are a rider and not just a hobby rider that will get along ok with one of them filters.
Boris, I agree with your assessment of the K&N air filters however I think that there is too much metal and too large in size to be from the dust those filters would let through in 3500 miles. I'm leaning more toward the hydraulic cam chain tensioners myself.

·
Registered
341 Posts
after you fix your problem consider getting a drainplugmagnets.com their magnets in their drain plugs will pick-up a 11/16" wrench.(i checked this out) the OEM plugs suck as far as a magnet.i just found out about their products& ordered some for my '09 t/g.
i also use PFE paste on the drain plug threads.just my experience.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I am going to fess up here and admit I may have induced these particles myself.

Today has been pretty hectic, oil change was last night in prep for an across the state and back poker run leaving Friday morning.

So it wasn't until tonight until I got a chance to do some further looking. I had been thinking about these metal particals all day, and decided to tear apart the oil filter when I got home, which I did an hour ago.

What I found was nothing, nada, zip, inside of oil filter is pristine.

Then I got to thinking, when I used the plastic bottle oil catcher, I struck on an idea. Why not drill a hole in the soon to be thrown out oil filter and let the oil run out the end instead of out the seal end. So that's what I did, drilled a hole in the end of the oil filter and I'm betting that is where these "bits of metal" came from. They metal bits were laying in the plastic drain thing for the oil filter.

I assumed they were "non metallic" because they were not on the mag plugs.

I do know that inside that old filter is clean.

·
Registered
38,953 Posts
That makes more sense.

Recommend getting an oil analysis kit and keep it in reserve just for those cases you'd like to have your oil analized.

The kit is free from Blackstone Labs
Then you pay when you want an analysis done.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One of the shops I supervised before I retired was the jet engine oil lab (JOAPS).

I could get an oil analysis there for nothing, but I'd throw 'em a 12 pack at least.

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
Ok, I am going to fess up here and admit I may have induced these particles myself.

Today has been pretty hectic, oil change was last night in prep for an across the state and back poker run leaving Friday morning.

So it wasn't until tonight until I got a chance to do some further looking. I had been thinking about these metal particals all day, and decided to tear apart the oil filter when I got home, which I did an hour ago.

What I found was nothing, nada, zip, inside of oil filter is pristine.

Then I got to thinking, when I used the plastic bottle oil catcher, I struck on an idea. Why not drill a hole in the soon to be thrown out oil filter and let the oil run out the end instead of out the seal end. So that's what I did, drilled a hole in the end of the oil filter and I'm betting that is where these "bits of metal" came from. They metal bits were laying in the plastic drain thing for the oil filter.

I assumed they were "non metallic" because they were not on the mag plugs.

I do know that inside that old filter is clean.
Great ending. I was a little worried after reading your original post. :thumb

1 - 11 of 11 Posts