Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone,

I have an 08 ultra classic and I'm looking for a new set of tires. I'm
considering putting on Metzler ME880 tires. has anyone run these tires and if so how what type of mileage did you get, did you notice any change in handling, braking etc. also how about driving in wet weather, what change in air pressure if any did you make because i have heard the mention of needing to increase the pressure by 10 psi. i have 11,500 miles on my original set and should be able to get another 4000 or so. headed to sturgis in august so will need to change out by then

thanks and be safe

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I run metzlers on my classic,they are better in the rain than the dunlops IMHO. How did you get 11,500 miles out of a set of dunlops? I only got about 5,000 before i had to change back one and 8,000 for the front> Just wondering

·
Registered
18 Posts
Tire wear

I have an 08 883 and so far have gotten almost 13,000 on the original Dunlops. I will be changing them soon as the rear is getting close to the wear bars (not there yet, though). I ride fairly easily, no burnouts, little hard cornering (Don't drag the pipes too often). I am two up most of the time. I have progressive shocks on the back and intiminators in the forks with the stock springs and 5w oil.

I am debating whether to put Dunlops back on or try something else. I would like something that does not follow the tar snakes quite as much, but am retired and would like to get as much mileage as possible as the funds are a bit more limited than in the past.

·
Bikeless....for now!
5,111 Posts
I run metzlers on my classic,they are better in the rain than the dunlops IMHO. How did you get 11,500 miles out of a set of dunlops? I only got about 5,000 before i had to change back one and 8,000 for the front> Just wondering
Good question Ruby, i was wondering what mileage i should get outta my stock dunlops myself!! Keepin an eye on this one!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am debating on tires myself and have thought of the Metzler or the pirelli tires. does anyone know of a grittier tread pattern in a 16 inch tire for the rear??

thanks
Sam

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts
hello everyone,

considering putting on Metzler ME880 tires. has anyone run these tires and if so how what type of mileage did you get, did you notice any change in handling, braking etc. also how about driving in wet weather, what change in air pressure if any did you make because i have heard the mention of needing to increase the pressure by 10 psi. i have 11,500 miles on my original set and should be able to get another 4000 or so. headed to sturgis in august so will need to change out by then

thanks and be safe
Comparing Metzler Me880's to Dunlops is like comparing an F-16 to Cessna. I have them on my Dyna and they do everything better than Dunlop tires. I just destroyed the rear Metzler ME880 on my Super Glide this weekend. I ran over some trash on the road and that was the end of it.

The tire had 3k on it and it looked like it was brand new. These tires handle so much better, especially in the corners, that once you ride on them you will want to sue Dunlop for masquerading as a motorcycle tire manufacturer.

·
The Northern *******
7,170 Posts
hello everyone,

thanks and be safe
No comparison... like comparing a McDonald's hamburger to a ribeye steak.... My original Dunlop front tire was cupping out at 4k miles with proper inflation...The set of ME880's on my scoot right now have 11K miles and will probably go another 8-10 K.....and the handling is day & night difference....worth every penny they cost...:thumbsup:thumbsup

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts
No comparison... like comparing a McDonald's hamburger to a ribeye steak.... My original Dunlop front tire was cupping out at 4k miles with proper inflation...The set of ME880's on my scoot right now have 11K miles and will probably go another 8-10 K.....and the handling is day & night difference....worth every penny they cost...:thumbsup:thumbsup
There tread on my original Dunlop rear tire was gone at 4k miles.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Rob,

I've been running Metz now for about 22k miles (my 2006 UC has 30K on it now) and I really like them. Mileage is going to be a function of how you drive your bike, how much psi you run and other factors, but I usually wind up changing out my Metz rear around 11-13K miles, and I don't go much below 3/32nds tread.

I think the Metz are better handling, especially in the turns. I don't, however, think that the Dunnies are bad tires and I know lots of folks who get great mileage from them and who've had no trouble with them.

I run 40-42psi in the rear and 40psi in the front.....and I check them OFTEN.

·
Señor Member
2,384 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i do not ride it hard and constantly check the air pressure which i run at 40 psi rear 36 psi in the front and 80% of this mileage is with the wife onboard. mostly highway miles, mostly in the north east.

·
The Northern *******
7,170 Posts
Tire inflation is important..tires usually loose about a pound a week just sitting..I air both of mine to 41 psi...have an air hose piped into my garage from the shop for this reason only....

The compounds in the Dunlop tire are too hard making for not very good handling compared to Metzlers or Avons...I have always had excellent lifespan and superior performance running the ME880 Metzler....

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
When ever this subject comes up I recommend trying out a different brand of tire for yourself. It's like getting a new and improved bike but there is only one way to find out for yourself. The mileage that you get from the tire is important but IMHO it's the least important spec.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Just keep in mind that this is my opinion... and you know about opinions.

I am a fan of Avons, they have a very aggressive tire pattern, and that's why "I think" they are one of the best in the rain.

The Avon cross section is "O" shaped, were the Metzler is more "U" shaped. This is why "I think" the Avon steers easier, leans easier, and is a better handling tire. Avons have a very good speed rating and a high load rating. Avons may get a little better mileage, but that may be due to the deeper tread.

Dunlop has their new tire on the market and the stats look good.

I like Metzler's, I prefer Avon's and the jury is still out on the new Dunlop's.

·
"Nervous Tick"
11,271 Posts
i'll tout a dunlop's performance for a minute...my last set went almost 12 k, and were changed because of age issues..they began to get hard, and i could feel it..

the new dunlops feel, well, new.....and i have no issues with dunlop tires...they work well, are affordable, and are certainly "not" the bottom of the barrel tires...

my .02, if harley puts their name on it, i'll give it a go, and so far i have had no traction problems, wear problems, or cupping problems..

and i'm not kind to my tires.......g

'05 xl883l progressive rear shocks, racetech front springs, emulators, and fork brace, running 41 PSI front and rear...bike is on 2nd set of dunlops at 14K miles...

Reactions: Wooduck1954

·
09 Dyna Super Glide
1,691 Posts
Rob,

I've been running Metz now for about 22k miles (my 2006 UC has 30K on it now) and I really like them. Mileage is going to be a function of how you drive your bike, how much psi you run and other factors, but I usually wind up changing out my Metz rear around 11-13K miles, and I don't go much below 3/32nds tread.

I think the Metz are better handling, especially in the turns. I don't, however, think that the Dunnies are bad tires and I know lots of folks who get great mileage from them and who've had no trouble with them.

I run 40-42psi in the rear and 40psi in the front.....and I check them OFTEN.
\

Dunlop tires lack consistency, among other things. The original rear Dunlop on my 2009 Dyna was virtually treadless at 4k miles. It should have been replaced sooner. Dunlop had a lot of problems with tires cupping. Then you find someone who got 12k out of their rear Dunlop.

For the same money you can buy a much better handling, better wearing tire than Dunlop.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Tire inflation is important..tires usually loose about a pound a week just sitting..I air both of mine to 41 psi...have an air hose piped into my garage from the shop for this reason only....

The compounds in the Dunlop tire are too hard making for not very good handling compared to Metzlers or Avons...I have always had excellent lifespan and superior performance running the ME880 Metzler....
Blackdog....this must be common on tubeless tires only, because on my UC (laced wheels with tubes) my tires PSI was almost dead on after sitting all winter (and I'm very anal about maintaining proper tire pressures). I think I might have added a pound or two each tire.

·
The Northern *******
7,170 Posts
Blackdog....this must be common on tubeless tires only, because on my UC (laced wheels with tubes) my tires PSI was almost dead on after sitting all winter (and I'm very anal about maintaining proper tire pressures). I think I might have added a pound or two each tire.
My front is a tube type...looses air just like back....

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.