Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
37,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just about due for a tire change, and not happy with the Metzler 888 that I got last time due to cupping issues.

So looking for suggestions, specifically those of you that run a 21 x 2.15" front.

·
Asylum Inmate
11,436 Posts
Ran Dunlop American Elites on my FLSTFB. Not a 21 inch front. But I switched from Avons to them. Very good tire IMO.

I ran michelins on it first. Squared off and wobbled. Then I ran Avons, but in the end three sets of Elites before the bike was trade for the RGS.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
IMHO Avon is the way to go. Also on the lighter bikes Shinko performs very well and sticky enough to climb up the side of a building!

·
American
25,980 Posts
I will be buying American Elites again..... but mine is an Ultra, so you may not care! :laugh

·
Wayward Son
23,076 Posts
Avon Speedmaster.
Back in the day on my 83 Shovel.

:D

I know > :spank:

·
Hit it she goes boom
5,075 Posts
Switched from stock Dunlop to the American Elites, won't be buying them again. Lost way too much traction in the rain, went from feeling stuck on the road to squirrley in the rain. I also don't appreciate how much you feel the road snakes too. Might be up for the Commanders the next go around, or back to stock. Tread wise they are holding up nicely, I just don't like how they feel in the rain.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I have the commanders and the bike turns very nice, I get very good mileage, and they are a fair price. I prefer them to the dunlops that come on the stock bike. just my 2 cents, your experience may vary

·
Road Junkie
1,852 Posts
I have run both. Just installed my second set of Elites. You won’t go wrong either way.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I've run Dunlops, Metz 880's and 888's, Continentals, and I'm 10k miles into my 1st set of MCII's and am actually pretty damn impressed with the way they have handled and especially the wear. Of the 10k miles, 3.5k was 2 up with luggage for an 11 day ride around the western US a few weeks ago. After 10k on any other tire and I'd be on Dennis Kirk's or Bike Bandit's website looking for a good price on a replacement. Like I said, 1st set of MCII's but I'll get them again for the SGS. I can't use them on the RK cause I HAVE to have WWW's on that bike and Michelin don't sell those.........

·
Registered
649 Posts
I came across this video last year and it had a lot of good information comparing the two tires . . .

·
Registered
649 Posts
Decided to go with the Michelin Commander II. Went ahead and ordered the front from Revzilla. Good prices there.
Not sure if this will help . . . I saw this ad from Michelin in the newsletter I get from one of my local dealerships.

Attachments

·
Retired citizen
22,291 Posts
I'm a Dunlop fan. Thru the years I've literally ridin hundreds of different Harleys with different combinations of tires and prefer the OEM Dunlops.
The main thing is keeping the tire pressures monitored and rebalance the front tires when having the rears changed. One of the reasons for front tire cupping is out of balance tires. YAY Dunlop !

·
Registered
37,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not sure if this will help . . . I saw this ad from Michelin in the newsletter I get from one of my local dealerships.
Those are for Scorchers, not Commander II.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had commander 11 on a 99 wide glide now on 2016 ultra best tire I've ridden. Changed the feel of the old ride. Great grip dry/wet or in between got over 20 thousand on the lighter glide 15 on ultra rear. Time to change. Front will always get 20 thousand. Only tire I will buy.

·
Veteran
24 Posts
I ran Dunlops on my 2017 Street Glide for 10,000 miles and changed them to Commanders which lasted 12,000 and did not like the Commanders so went back to the Dunlops even though I will get less miles, the ride is better. It feels like the rubber is stickier on the Dunlops.

·
Registered
37,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got the Michelin Commander II in the mail today. Will have to wait a bit before I order the rear.

·
Registered
11,059 Posts
I liked the CMDR II first tight freeway off ramp. Run same on rear 200 better all around. Ride, handling yada yada.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 2012 FatBoyLo, tried Michelon, Metzler, and went back to the Dunlop, all tires handled about the same, but I got the best wear from the Dunlop.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts