Harley Davidson Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Probably late for this thread but someone searching might benefit. I also have a 2012 Fatboy Lo. Over 50,000 miles now, I've ridden the stocks, a few sets of Commander II's and last a couple of sets of Dunlop American Elite's. For me, there's no comparison. The Elite's are a far better match for this bike. Much more secure on the twisties and considerably better wear than the others. A harder rubber than the II's so you feel the road a minimal amount more, but well worth it for how confidently they corner. I can't speak to how they do in foul weather.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Just a little addition here. Went to the Hells Canyon MC Rally in Baker City, OR in July. I was sporting a Metzler on the back of my '08 Fat Boy (200 mm). After a spirited ride down via Rattlesnake, and one of the rally tours, it was starting to show cord. A local got me an H-D branded Michelin Commander II. I was able to continue to participate in the rally and take the long way home.

After a round trip to Central Oregon, I now have about 2,000 miles on it. Seems to be wearing OK. Today was wet and the tire performed well.

Granted, this bike eats rear tires like crazy. I'm lucky if I get more than 5,000 miles on the rear.

·
American
25,962 Posts
I ordered new AE's last Saturday.....

·
Registered
4,845 Posts

·
Curmudgeon
7,037 Posts
Camander II's rear 14,000 still going strong, just replaced front at 14,000 cupping, mach said may have been belt problem. Replaced with commander II in front. (don't like mismatched tires) I will replace both next time will decide then what to do about brand replacement or not. Handling is ok, I'm not an aggressive rider. Hope this helps.

·
American
25,962 Posts
What 'cha runnin' now?
AE’s.... I like em! 17K on them. Probably could run another couple thousand with no problem. 20% off I decided to go ahead and order..... have them put on in October....

·
Registered
11,039 Posts
Just a little addition here. Went to the Hells Canyon MC Rally in Baker City, OR in July. I was sporting a Metzler on the back of my '08 Fat Boy (200 mm). After a spirited ride down via Rattlesnake, and one of the rally tours, it was starting to show cord. A local got me an H-D branded Michelin Commander II. I was able to continue to participate in the rally and take the long way home.

After a round trip to Central Oregon, I now have about 2,000 miles on it. Seems to be wearing OK. Today was wet and the tire performed well.

Granted, this bike eats rear tires like crazy. I'm lucky if I get more than 5,000 miles on the rear.
The curse of the 200 mm tires. Tried a Metzler 200 once and only. Over all like the CMDR II's.

·
Registered
37,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
You mean for launching? No, but I do a spectacular burnout, even on VHT prepped tracks.

·
Registered
11,039 Posts
You mean for launching? No, but I do a spectacular burnout, even on VHT prepped tracks.
:grin Was thinking over all. Silly me still laughing .

·
weird member
1,924 Posts
I wish I saw this thread before, figure I'll throw my 2 cents since I have a 21" x 2.25 front (or whatever that width is).

At first, it had stock Harley Dunlops. They weren't bad. Tried the Shinko HD (heavy duty) 777 and only got about 7K miles out of them. F*** a Shinko tire, def get what you pay for there, and when you don't pay much, you don't get much. At the beginning, they gripped a little better than the stock HD branded Dunlops, but that was probably just the difference between old and new.

After that, went to the Dunlop AE's. After close to 10K on them before the wreck, they didn't even look half spent and cost about the same as the HD branded Dunlops. Still haven't wore out an AE yet, but I am sold on them.

I tried researching before and it seems both AE and Commander II's have a 70/30 split of "THEY'RE THE BEST TIRE EVAR" and "ABSOLUTE GARBAGE, WILL NEVER BUY AGAIN!". I don't think you could go wrong with either one. They're both multi-tread with a harder center and softer outsides, made specifically for more even wear. I know there's a difference in the width of the hard center between the two, I think maybe the Commander's are a wider hard center, but I don't remember?

I'd imagine you could get relatively the same performance from either, and which one is better would probably be more based on riding style or type of ride?

I haven't tried very many tires (stock, the Shinko's and the AE's), but by far, the AE stomps a mudhole in the other two. Mine grip excellently in all conditions. The reason I went AE over the Commander II's is at the time, the AE had the better deal.

It's been about a month, how do you like the Commander IIs so far?

·
Registered
11,039 Posts
^^^^^^^ Share same front wheel combo on our bikes. Average in the 7K area. With Dunlops and have CMDR II right now close to 4K about 40-50% done. Handles better with II's. About 60# extra pounds on mine with newer frame. Guess depends on riding habits for tire wear. Ride Safe.

·
Registered
37,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
It's been about a month, how do you like the Commander IIs so far?
So far, I really like the Commander II's. Went on a nearly 400 mile trip last week to meet up with Tommy for lunch, and next month I'll be heading to Texas to meet up with some hooligans.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Kainam,

The dealerships "Harley Master Technician" attended our HOG meeting today. Tires were discussed. He claims that it took a long time to figure out, but all of the dual compound tires (ME888's for instance) will cup on the outer sides of the tires. He said he questioned Dunlop about that and was told yes, they do that - perfectly normal on dual compound tires. You shouldn't have a problem on the single compound tires.

Now that you have some miles on the Commander's how do you like them?

·
Registered
37,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Well I just got back from putting ~2000 miles on them during to and from Texas Twister (~3000 miles total), so far they are great!

Handled real well in the twisties.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
TY :thumbsup

·
Registered
823 Posts
I am on my third set of commanders. They do cup a bit. I noticed an improvement on new commanders as opposed to the old ones. I could turn and cut much easier on a new set of tires so I am assuming it was due to cupping. Better wear mileage, Better handling, competitive price. No brainer. I realize tires are like fishing though. Everyone has their own way and preferences so I do think it is important to necessarily DECLARE one tire superior over another. As Dave Chappell said, 'Some people like cucumbers better pickled."

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
I went over to Ormond Beach for the Biketoberfest - downtown Daytona doesn't interest me. I talked to Michelin, Dunlop and Metzler reps about tires in general and the slight cupping or scalloping of the tires. All of them said try 2# more air pressure. The cupping can also come from road and riding conditions. The Metzler guy set me straight on the 888's - they ARE NOT DUAL COMPOUND TIRES. There is a lot of misinformation out there as he said he gets into discussions (arguments?) at all the events over this. Metzler just came out with a dual compound rear called "Cruisetec". A narrower band of hard rubber than American Elites to fit their philosophy of riding. He said the interstate rider is better off with ME888's or AE's. The Cruisetec is for cornering and has max grip. The bonus is that wet grip is phenomenal. Wear is with in 1,000 to 1,500 miles of an AE. He said AE's are the mileage standard that all manufacturers use to gauge their tires. BTW - no front tires manufactured by anyone are dual compound, just the rears. I think my next set of tires will be Cruisetecs, as I'm not a freeway rider.
Also, Michelin has the Commander III's out to replace the Commander II's now.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts