Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dose anyone carry one of those micro jump boxes. The one's that are a little bigger than a cell phone but you can jump around 10 cars before it needs recharging. I was thinking about getting one to keep in my saddle bags just in case I ever need a jump or need to help out a fellow biker . Any recommendations? Thanks Mike

·
Super Moderator
12,561 Posts
Tommy Tailspin had one at Texas Twister (from Lowe's I think) and it was a bust. Doc had a dead battery and that thing did nothing.

·
Retired citizen
22,259 Posts
IMO, better off with a set of jumper cables.
Also if the battery is dead and there's a charging system problem jumping the battery ain't gonna help.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I was thinking of doing the same thing. But as Roy (GtrMan) said, I've seen some negative results. Would suck to spend from $60-$300 on one of those things and then it won't even get a bike started.

looking to hear some positive results to this question here.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks I wasn't sure about them and don't know of anyone who has one. It's a lot of $$ to put out for something that may or may not work I ride all winter I do keep it on a tender but I would hat to get stranded when it's in the singe digits if it needs just a little boost.

·
Registered
632 Posts
The Sheriffs around here have them in there bikes, no bigger then a cell phone , I have seen them jump car's and one his bike after sitting at an accident with his lights going, I was impressed, plus you can recharge you phone , PC , and other things with it on the road

·
Super Moderator
4,102 Posts
All I know is that I fear the day that I have to push start that 110! :eek:

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I'll have to check some reviews I was hoping that a few on this forum had some experience with them I know when we surf fish someone allways needs a jump from leaving the radio on to long that would be cool to have around.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Personally, I do not invest in a battery powered device to be used as an emergency battery. Instead, I replace my battery with a new one every three years, despite the fact that I keep my bike plugged-in to a battery tender whenever I do not ride.

Never did I use a car/motorcycle battery until it is in the throes of death and never did I need a jump box or jump cables. IMHO, a fresh/healthy battery is cheap insurance. :wink

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Personally, I do not invest in a battery powered device to be used as an emergency battery. Instead, I replace my battery with a new one every three years, despite the fact that I keep my bike plugged-in to a battery tender whenever I do not ride.

Never did I use a car/motorcycle battery until it is in the throes of death and never did I need a jump box or jump cables. IMHO, a fresh/healthy battery is cheap insurance. :wink
my buddies Brand New 2015 Ultra had to be jumped on our Colorado trip this summer. So new battery or one 4 or 5 years old might still need some help.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not using it as a spare battery I have once or twice shut the bike off but not the key and the battery got a little drained, I only want one for emergency use I've had car battery's go bad for no reason but I did required a jump the last one was an 84 month that died after 25 months.

·
Registered
298 Posts
As the saying goes, lead/acid batteries on our motorcycles are like muscles: we use them or we lose them. New ones are no exception. If we lose even the one we are supposed to use frequently, chances are the one we do not use often would already be lost when needed. To the micro jump box's defense, they usually depend on lithium battery chemistry. Therefore, their self-discharge rate is much better than lead/acid. On the other hand, stand-by at full charge is detrimental for them. So is heat. So is overcharge. So is over discharge. I mean; they also need to be spoiled, albeit in a different manner. My personal choice is to spoil the heavy-duty battery on my bike, rather than spoiling the cell-phone sized one on my saddlebag.

Silvereagle; I don't deny the handiness of a jump box when the starter does not crank. My point is that if a brand new bike needs it during a long trip; either the charging system of the bike is at fault or the battery was already damaged before the trip. The remedy is either a repair, or a new battery, or both. The jump box is only a temporary, if not momentary fix, provided that it is in good condition. I am not against a jump box. I simply cannot trust myself for being able to keep it in tip-top condition at all times so as to benefit from it whenever I may need it. Thus, trying to make sure that it is not needed at all seems to be more realistic (or less unrealistic) to me.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
to the defense of the new bike and its new battery, the guy had been using his heated grips the day before and forgot to turn them off. (you would think that turning the bike off would cut the power to the grips but apparently not) The next morning it was to dead to start the bike. So its for cases like this that I think the micro jump box would be a handy thing to carry.

On the other hand, i do realize once a battery is compromised, its time to change it. whether its 6 months old or 6 years old.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
There was a conversation about these earlier this year and they peaked my curiosity and I did a little research then... Coincidentally, my S.O. and I were talking about Christmas presents last night and we looked a few of these little devices up on ebay. I think they'd be a little extra piece of mind and wouldn't mind having one.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll probably end up getting one, hope I don't need it but just like the other tools I keep one my bike , they make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside lol.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts