Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, A little bit different of a question from what ive been seeing asked on other threads but I cant seem to find what I am looking for. Anyways my bike is a 1999 Low rider and I have been thinking about a mid glide conversion for awhile. Ive found the kits online to do this and from what I seen hawg halters was the cheapest unless im missing a company somewhere out there.

my first question is, how difficult is this install and by that I mean do the fork tubes just slide out of the narrow trees and slide right back into the mid trees or do the fork sliders have to be drained and removed and reinstalled. I had the front tire and all that off early this year so I feel like i was already half way there if its as simple unbolting as sliding things in and out and bolting parts back together then onto the bike. If it is that simple I am just planning on buying the trees for now and tearing the bike apart over the fall/winter then getting the conversion kit later.

My second/ last question is that I have been looking on ebay for complete front ends from a wide glide as Ive consodered that as well, I just think the mid glide would suit my bike better. what years and models are compatible? Im hesitant about wide glide because I dont want to change my rake and in turn throw off the trail. I want the bike to ride just as is now.

Thank you for your help!

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
Rake is determined by the angle of the neck.
Changing the front end will not change the rake.
If you get the same length tubes you have now then nothing will change at all. A longer tube will of course raise the front end. A popular look back in the 60`s/70`s.

Of course shorter would drop the front end. Not a desirable condition without lowering the back an equal or greater amount.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what years and front ends would work? like could i put a street bob mid glide on or a newer 49mm if i came across a good deal or would I have to stick to my 39mm and a conversion kit or 41mm from my year wide glide?

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
Can not say for sure what year(s) would work.
If all you are looking for is the triple trees then they would need to match your forks.
Believe HD went to the 41`s in 2000.
You will also need to verify neck bearing size. Unsure if/when HD changed them or which models are the same.
Installing should be slide out, slide in. Of course after you have determined proper axle spacers.
And. IMO. Cheapest is usually just that. Something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was going to just get the conversion kit hawg halters has unless it was cheaper and easier to put a front end off another bike on. I was planning on starting out just getting the 39mm trees then tear apart the bike get it all put together then buy the rest of the wheel parts

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
I need see where there is raked version of the trees available.

Raked tress are fairly new on the scene AFAIK.
Have not heard much about them one way or another.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes those are the trees. I was going to get them in the raw material and get them powder coated locally and save myself some money that way. I was thinking the 0 degree rake is probably what I want to keep the wheel where it is now?

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
Yep. 0 is what you want.

One thing to keep in mind. Yes. They are less expensive then others.
But have you started pricing out the other parts you will need?

Seems I have seen complete kits available. Do cost more. But getting the conversion in kit form pretty much guarantees everything fits and works together.
Can eliminate a lot of guess work and research later.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well this place sells the trees and the actual conversion kit is seperate for another $200 and some I believe it was.

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
Did not really look around that much.
I am guessing the kit includes neck bearings, axle, spacers. Not sure what else.

Have you priced out other complete kits from different Vendors?

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
Try Vulcan Engineering and consider a 3 degree neck cup kit.
He seems to have pretty much decided he wants to maintain the stock rake.

But why go with the cup kit when he can have it built right into the triple tree?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I actually just came across vulcan and they seem to have the whole kit for the same price as just the trees from hawg halters. I didnt see a mid glide kit that works with my dual front brakes however but the wide glide kit did give that option so I might have to go that route.

Is vulcan a decent brand? I have 0 knowledge on aftermarket trees so naturally I have a lot of questions. I appreciate the help though!

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
Never dealt with them.

Something to keep in mind as you are deciding just what you want to do.

A slight increase in rake will help the bike track straighter. And with the slightly extended wheel base may have a bit better ride.

Now. If you are into carving corners then you probably not that interested in a straighter track.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
See I love the way my bike rides and handles right now cause im used to it I just want the wider front end to set it apart from the sporster front end. I feel like the mid glide would just look right for the little bit bulkier bike as compared to the sporty. I've never rode a wide glide with rake to feel a difference in handling or cornering.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay so I think I actually decided to go the vulcan 39mm wide glide route as it comes with a dual disk setup option and the mid glide doesnt. I also dont think I would notice much of a difference in center to center distance going from narrow to mid but itll be very noticeable going from narrow to wide. I just hope it doesnt look too wide for the bike. Im thinking it should look just like a 99 wide glide unless there are some differences there im not aware of.

This kit also gives the option for a 16'' wheel mounting kit and 16'' front fender...I do not know what size wheel im running up front but cant I just mount that wheel back in there?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts