Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 fxdwg3 that the guy I bought it from did not run since 2010 and left it sit with gas in it. Bike has 3400 mileson it and when I drove it home was spitting at half throttle through all the gears and would backfire some slowing down and down shifting. I got it home and pulled the carb off and cleaned it real good, it did not have any significant crudin it, jets in it are 200 and 40. I know someone was in the carb before cause all the screws on diaphragm cap were stripped out but bowl screws were ok. Bike has stock air cleaner and pipes. Does anybody have recommendations on what to do next? Jet sizes etc.

·
Super Moderator
4,288 Posts
In line filter. Did you check the filter on the petcock? My 97 heritage got gummed up bad when 06-2010. 4 deployments back to back and probably only about 1200 miles in those 4 yeaars. Corrosion in the tank caused the carb to be very intermittent and the petcock filter was letting stuff through. I thought it was the carb being bad all along.

Does sound fishy about the carb HW though.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking about taking the petcock off and checking that but I was not sure if I would need to replace a gasket when I put it back together. I did drain gas into a clear glass when I removed the carb and did not see anything with the naked eye in the fuel. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just wanted to update the post and let you know the bike is fixed. Took it to JTs cycle shop in Speers Pa. And they rebuilt the carb, rejetted with the correct jets and re tuned. The bike is running awesome now. Shout out to JTs for great work, friendly service and fair prices!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts