Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, I just bought a 2004 sportster 883c. The man had it listed as having less than 10,000 miles. The previous MOT's was in 2013 at 7,549 miles. I didn't find out the current mileage until the courier brought the bike and paperwork. This MOT says the bike has 5,423 miles. LESS than last test. The guy gave a couple of reasons it could be, 1st was that inspector made a mistake.. no because I have looked at it myself when delivered. Now he's saying that the battery went flat (replaced battery in Jan) and that has messed up the mileage on odometer. Is that possible?? I see that he changed the stock speedo housing for another to use with mini ape bars. He said he hasnt changed the speedo. I'm asking him to take the bike back since I think I would have a hard time selling it on not knowing the correct mileage. Can an odometer reset it self after dead battery? Thanks

·
Just Ride
3,265 Posts
Harley can hook it up to their computer and get the correct mileage from ecm.

·
Registered
39,573 Posts
Now he's saying that the battery went flat (replaced battery in Jan) and that has messed up the mileage on odometer. Is that possible??
No. The mileage is stored in non-volatile RAM within the odometer for that year.
I see that he changed the stock speedo housing for another to use with mini ape bars. He said he hasnt changed the speedo.
If the mileage indeed gone down from one MOT to another, the speedometer was swapped out. The dealer is supposed to order the speedometer with the correct mileage already programmed into it, but that doesn't always happen.

·
Registered
476 Posts
A dead battery won't change a stock odometer's reading. Altering the mileage reading on a motor vehicle is a felony in the USA. Don't know about the UK. Tell him that and no matter what, get your money back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks, after doing some research he seems to be buying and selling a few bikes. The only person who says that harleys can do that with a dead battery is the place where he gets the bike(s) MOT tested

·
Registered
811 Posts
I swapped out my speedo myself for a new one with a tach. Upon plugging in the bike mileage was written into the new speedo from the bikes pcm, the new speedo is now married to the bike

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
39,573 Posts
I swapped out my speedo myself for a new one with a tach. Upon plugging in the bike mileage was written into the new speedo from the bikes pcm, the new speedo is now married to the bike
What year bike?

·
Registered
39,573 Posts
That's the difference.

His is a 2004.

I believe it was 2008 when HD went to HD LAN where the mileage is stored in the ECM.

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
that may be possible

·
Registered
39,573 Posts
I believe the dealer can switch it from mph/kph.

Need to hook up their computer to it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did it! I held in the button for seven seconds with the key off and it changed it over to 8,563 kilometers which is what it must have been read in previously since last MOT reading was 7,562

·
VA Fender Bender
5,551 Posts
bravo!

·
Registered
39,573 Posts
Cool! :thumb

1 - 20 of 23 Posts