Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help as to what to do, I put my bike in winter storage every year at the same Harley dealer to get it out of my garage and to keep it warm and safe for the next riding season. Today I picked my bike up and after getting home find out there are 180 plus miles put on my bike while it was put away? Now I had service work and tires put on so i understand the 11 miles they put on to test ride it after the work was done. Aprox. 3 or so miles for the 35K service then I had them put new tires on and they test rode it again for 7 or so documented on service order but now they tell me they don't know where the extra miles came from? I was back there in 45 minutes so I could no way put 180 miles on in that time and they agree. They said they will investigate and get back to me tomorrow but said they would have known if an employee was missing for three plus hrs. to put that kind of miles on. How do I handle this? Not going to bash the dealer because I'm happy with everything they have always done but 180 miles on my bike when in storage?

·
Registered
419 Posts
You should at the lease be compensated for the "rental" of your
bike while in their custody/shop. Talk to the owner about it directly if
others don't answer to your satisfaction.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Wow. That's ridiculous. Gives new meaning to the term "stealership". I'm not sure what needs to be looked into. I mean if u know how many miles you had on it and there are that many miles added, something is not right. I'd write a letter to the owner.

.…...........................................

"I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle"

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thinking of talking to owner today as he is there quite a bit and I just spoke with him Saturday when I was in the dealership. I don't know what to think yet but I would like an honest answer as to how this happened.

·
Curmudgeon
7,043 Posts
Difficult to prove, thats your problem now. It's a he said he said type of thing. Personally I'd say something and see what happens?

If they do nothing, they just lost a customer that's about all you can do.

·
Kicking Rocks...
11,145 Posts
I would assume there is a condition and mileage inspection done pre and post storage... If not there should be.

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
If you had work done on it while being stored, they have a record of the mileage on it when the service was done (that's Standard Operating Procedure for dealerships). Flash that in their faces and ask why it takes 180 miles to see if they did the service properly.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
This sadly isn't the first time I've heard of this, both with bikes and cars.
Happened to a buddy of mine and he's a big crazy big mouth bass-turd and he went nuts at everyone in the place

They called cops on him

They denied his claim

and he denied them any future business

I don't think they cared in the slightest

They probably should have cause word got around and any problem any one had with this dealership was known

This dealer pretty much has to rely on new customers now and a few older customers that owners chums with

which there is no shortage of.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Miles where reported when dropped off and after service work was completed. They are looking into it and I'm going to talk to owner later today. Keep you all updated.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
burn the place to the ground hardy har har..... thats bull shit man . get answers and paid for rental of YOUR scoot too. never take your scoot to a dealer there all out to get you.

·
Mississippi Cajun
25,208 Posts
I'm hoping I'm repeating what I have understood to have happened here, but it seems there is a written record at the dealership of the mileage at "check-in", mileage added because of service is documented, and still there is unaccounted mileage.
Difficult thing here is that there is insufficient damage to justify litigation, but if the stealer won't do right by all of this, I'd be finding all sorts of things wrong now that weren't bad when ou left it with them. If they do not take care of this problem, go someplace that will take better case of you. Make sure every one you know and that those you know know know. Bad news travels fast.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
, but it seems there is a written record at the dealership of the mileage at "check-in", mileage added because of service is documented,
yup this would an should be proof enough. but then again they will prov that wrong too. i just dont like dealers . and this is more proof that you just cant trust them or any one.!!!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts