Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading to vegas, grand canyon and Colorado the first week of june.
Wondering if anyone had any info about hwy 550 aka million dollar highway this early in the season, snow, weather etc.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Heading to vegas, grand canyon and Colorado the first week of june.
Wondering if anyone had any info about hwy 550 aka million dollar highway this early in the season, snow, weather etc.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Very dangerous road, water trucks will run over anyone and everyone . :eek

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
It should be open they plow it year round just pay attention as there are a few spots no guard rail and 1000 foot drop but its a great ride

you can make a loop and ride the lizard head also its a long day ride loop from Montrose or Durango

I would check with road dept. on the lizard head they some times have rock slides
if you stop in Silverton there are some touristy shops there

·
Resist Tyranny
1,881 Posts
It's open year around but I wouldn't suggest it between Oct and April. Beautiful ride, good food in Ridgeway, Ouray or Silverton. Take the time to see the narrow gauge in Silverton, ride it if you can get a ticket. If Web scared ya off there's always Telluride, Flora Doras is my favorite eatery in Tride, then Lizard Head Pass to Dolores (where I live).

later, dozer

p.s. have fun and be safe
p.p.s. give a shout if you need a rescue

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's on like donkey kong......I aint afraid of no water trucks!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
It's open year around but I wouldn't suggest it between Oct and April. Beautiful ride, good food in Ridgeway, Ouray or Silverton. Take the time to see the narrow gauge in Silverton, ride it if you can get a ticket. If Web scared ya off there's always Telluride, Flora Doras is my favorite eatery in Tride, then Lizard Head Pass to Dolores (where I live).

later, dozer

p.s. have fun and be safe
p.p.s. give a shout if you need a rescue

this might look familar if you live in Delores

·
Asylum Inmate
12,397 Posts
Road is no problem this time of the year.

In Durango stop at the Diamond Belle.

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info....should be an awesome ride.

·
Resist Tyranny
1,881 Posts
I took a trip to Crawford CO yesterday to decorate my Dad's grave. We returned Via the Million Dollar Highway. Raining in Ouray, snowing farther up, near the top saw an Electraglide and a Road Glide headed the other way.

later, dozer

p.s. wondered if it was you

·
las drogas son malas
3,248 Posts
I'll be riding the MDH in two weeks (en route to C3). Thanks for starting this thread - I've been wondering about this myself.

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I took a trip to Crawford CO yesterday to decorate my Dad's grave. We returned Via the Million Dollar Highway. Raining in Ouray, snowing farther up, near the top saw an Electraglide and a Road Glide headed the other way.

later, dozer

p.s. wondered if it was you
Not us....leaving Friday should be there Tuesday the 2nd.

·
Imperial Wizard...
4,956 Posts
I love this road.....no matter the time of year, odds are good you are going to hit some kind of weather...I suggest doing from Durango to Ouray..on the real bad shit you will be on the outside most of the way....no guardrails and no shit the white line then a 1,000 feet straight down....but still a must ride, will be there the last week of July..my son lives in Telluride, be sure and go by the Alpine Wellneess center and sample some of my son's good growing...and there are some good places to eat in Telluride and be sure and check out the New Sheridan cool place...and if you can ride the Red Rock canyon and go to Gateway and see the car museum ...and in Durango go by the HD shop and see the Billy Bike from the movie Easy Riders........but...just ride it ..you have to do it once in your life...

·
Dirty Member
1,142 Posts
Just check the weather report before you go. Dont want to get caught up in slush or ice unless you are carying tire chains.
It can still be stormy this time of year but it can be beautiful too.
Good Riding.

·
Asylum Inmate
12,397 Posts
Just do yourselves a favor and pull over at the overlooks. Don't get to rubber necking it to see.... the bike will follow where you look!

I am sure you know that, but on Red Mtn Pass the cost of going off the shoulder is little higher than most places... literally and figuratively!

End of April three years ago...

·
Asylum Inmate
12,397 Posts
Rode it today to see how it was.

No major problems.

When your are coming down to the Idarado mine works the 270 switches are gravel covered but mostly in the lanes heading toward Silverton.

The slide shelter has live water seeping in it. So watch the traction opening the butterflies coming out of it.

With all the rain this slight drying is seeing the racks sliding. Lots of little ones... More than normal

Coming by the snow plow driver memorial there is a lot of sand on the two switchbacks from up above.

Coming down to Ouray there is a lot of wash off on the edges.

·
Asylum Inmate
12,397 Posts
Also if you are riding 50 East the paving and widening is done all the way from Cicero summit to Gunnison.

The 114 cut across is also in great shape.

I took a right to Del Norte since we were heading to Pagosa Springs for the weekend, but to the junction it is real nice!

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A few pics from the ride.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts