Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Softail Street Bob FXBB
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all I'm new to this forum and just got my first Harley!

2019 StreetBob with 10,000 miles

I just had a few questions about my brand new used bike and I'm hoping y'all could help me out with it.

So just after 1 day of ownership of the bike, she started to misfire and ran a little weird, I pulled over and checked the oil level and she was down 3 QT! I filled her up and continued on, and she ran like she's suppose to, no problems. The next day I rode to work and shit cut out on me on the highway, luckily i was able to merge over to the right lane, as soon as i started to slow down, my initial reaction was to fire her up again ( I did not want to be stranded on the side of the highway) and she fired right back up and ran fine until I got 2 blocks away from work. She had died on me again, and this time a check engine light came on. My first thought was "oh crap, I ran her dry for too long, must've blown the motor or something" but i got her safely to work.

I checked the oil level and she was good on oil. Looked up how to check the code on Harleys and found that the codes were P2300 & P2303 (Ignition coil driver low/open (front)) & (Ignition coil driver low/open (rear)).
I used to be a car mechanic so my first thought was spark plugs, wires, and ignition coil. I replaced all of those and cleared the code, rode for about an hour and she wasn't having any issues.

So but question is, looking at the picture provided, is this normal for a M8 motor? F1 & R1 are the same (looks like its running lean), and F2 & R2 are the same (rich?). Is this possible?

Also, how often do you guys check your oil on a Milwaukee 8?
What RPM do you guys shift at? My biggest fear is lugging it too hard (I live in the city with stop and go traffic, not a lot of room to lane split, unless I'm on the highway, its much more wide.) I've heard this will destroy a Harley's motor

Some more information i would like to provide is that the bike is a stage 1 tune
The original owner said he did it at the dealership with a Screamin Eagle Pro Street tuner
It has Two Brother 2-1 exhuast and Screamin Eagle Ventilator Extreme air filter

I'm wondering if the tune could have messed up the ignition coil pack?

Thank you in advance guys!

Fastener Font Household hardware Money Currency

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Not sure I buy oil being down 3 qts. That's pretty near empty, which of course is a bad thing. I would think the dealer (or whoever you bought from) would have it full of oil before selling. Something else going on there IMHO.

Great that you added the pics of the plugs but that is not going to tell the whole story. Smarter people than me might need more info. Assuming the first plugs were original at 10,000 miles, when was the stage one done? Out of the showroom or 500 miles before you bought it? You say you changed plugs and I assume that's the F2/R2 plugs in your pic. How many miles on that second set?

Could be, the tune was done shortly before you bought it. Out of the box they run lean and that might explain the first plugs. If the tune was done and a little on the rich side it would explain the second set of plugs. Also, it might be me, my monitor or who knows, but neither of those plugs look terrible bad. Again, smarter people might have a different opinion. Lets see what others chime in with.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for replying @Wiredog

I'm not sure if original owner ever changed spark plugs, he's told me that he has everything done at HD dealership. The tune was done I believe right after he installed the exhaust which I'm guessing around the time he bought the bike brand new. I know that out the showroom floor, the only upgrades that had made on there were fairings, lights, and the Screamin Eagle air filter. Later down the road he installed the exhaust and tune at the same time.

As for F1/R1 F2/R2, the new Milwaukee 8 motors uses 4 spark plugs instead of 2 like previous generations.
So (F)ront and (R)ear have 2 spark plugs on each cylinder. Which is why it looks confusing to me that spark plugs #1 on both front and rear looks lean, and spark plugs #2 looks like they are rich. I should've mentioned that.

For the oil being low, it was honestly my fault. When I bought the bike i should've checked oil level, previous owner told me that he checked the oil before selling me the bike and he had checked it with the bike straight (with the fxbb, the correct way to check is with it on the jiffy stand). So my guess is that the bike must've been about 1qt low to begin with. I bought the bike and rode 2 hours home (about a little over 100 miles).

The next day is when all those problems started happening.
Since replacing all the parts, I rode her for about an hour and no check engine light or ignition issues, the oil seems to be at a good level, half way mark on the dip stick.

Only thing that concerns me is how much noise Harleys make hahaha so much vibrational noise, its hard to distinguish between normal and problematic noise, but I guess thats all part of getting used to and learning owning a harley hahaha

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Forgot about the 4 plugs on the M8s. Weird, interesting to see what the smart guy says.

Reactions: RJ64

·
V-Twin Junkie
1,100 Posts
I don't get what you're saying about that other 2 quarts of oil. First of all, even being a quart low is immediately visible when checking the dipstick on a warmed up bike. Secondly, if it was one quart low and it consumed 2 more quarts in 100 miles, you need a new motor, brother. That math just doesn't add up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't get what you're saying about that other 2 quarts of oil. First of all, even being a quart low is immediately visible when checking the dipstick on a warmed up bike. Secondly, if it was one quart low and it consumed 2 more quarts in 100 miles, you need a new motor, brother. That math just doesn't add up.
It doesn't add up. I'm just putting the information that I know because it happened. Appreciate your input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts