Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the Dealer to talk about changing out the bars on my 2012 XL1200 Custom. My left hand hurts like crazy after about 15 miles and so I was thinking of getting the reach about 4-6 inches higher would eliminate the pain. Parts guys were telling me that the total cost would be about $1200 for a change-out if the dealer did it. I suspect I could save $800 doing it myself. Anyway the parts guys are great helpers at our Caliente Harley Dealer. They took me to a new 2015 Dyna Low Rider and was showing me the bars and how they are adjustable. So I sat on a new bike and love the arm and hand positions but I hated the positioning of my legs with the mid controls. So, along comes a couple sales people and the took me over to show me the same bike but a 2014 model with 680 miles on it. This bike had Forward controls and the extra seat extension missing. I sat there and loved the hand and arm positions, again but a bit far out there but I could not hardly reach the controls as well as I liked although my leg positions were better to my liking. Then the sales manager comes along as suggest they take the seat off the new bike and put on this bike. What a huge difference. They talked me into test riding the bike and I fell in love with it. And bought it. The ride was great compared to the Sportster. Mirrors were crystal clear, power out of the 103 engine was more than I expected. Fit was great. My 5' 7" body was comfortable and most important my hand did not hurt riding that bike. The sad thing. I had put so much extra in that sportster and now have to start all over.

·
Breaker of Things
3,358 Posts
Congrats on the new scoot! Pics??? And it doesn't matter what bike it is, the add on addiction is never satiated!!!

·
Registered
39,558 Posts
:nod Pics or it didn't happen.

·
Registered
11,053 Posts
Congrats! Sounds like your dealer is one who will work hard and tries to be accommodating in order to suit you and make a sale. That's better than the "here it is wanna buy it" lackluster attitude so many have today.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Congrats on the new ride. Like Louisville said sounds like your dealer wants to make sure the bike you buy is one that fits you and your needs. Ride safe.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Pics!!! We wanna see.

FWIW if you can't be comfortable on your scoot you shouldn't own it. I'm glad you took this step. Sounds like it was the right move at the right time. And even though the fine folks at the dealership were looking to sell you a bike, they also were concerned about your comfort on that bike. Amazing what happens when two groups pursue their own self interest and in the end great satisfaction is achieved for both parties. This is the only way to do business.

·
Banned
71 Posts
Went to the Dealer to talk about changing out the bars on my 2012 XL1200 Custom. My left hand hurts like crazy after about 15 miles and so I was thinking of getting the reach about 4-6 inches higher would eliminate the pain. Parts guys were telling me that the total cost would be about $1200 for a change-out if the dealer did it. I suspect I could save $800 doing it myself. Anyway the parts guys are great helpers at our Caliente Harley Dealer. They took me to a new 2015 Dyna Low Rider and was showing me the bars and how they are adjustable. So I sat on a new bike and love the arm and hand positions but I hated the positioning of my legs with the mid controls. So, along comes a couple sales people and the took me over to show me the same bike but a 2014 model with 680 miles on it. This bike had Forward controls and the extra seat extension missing. I sat there and loved the hand and arm positions, again but a bit far out there but I could not hardly reach the controls as well as I liked although my leg positions were better to my liking. Then the sales manager comes along as suggest they take the seat off the new bike and put on this bike. What a huge difference. They talked me into test riding the bike and I fell in love with it. And bought it. The ride was great compared to the Sportster. Mirrors were crystal clear, power out of the 103 engine was more than I expected. Fit was great. My 5' 7" body was comfortable and most important my hand did not hurt riding that bike. The sad thing. I had put so much extra in that sportster and now have to start all over.
Today will be a good day to ride that new toy. :thumb :)

·
luv the low country
19,251 Posts
Congrats on the new Dyna Low Rider. That's the way to sell a product, to the customers needs, not the dealership's. Enjoy that new scoot and post some pics hen you can.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:nod Pics or it didn't happen.
It happened. They got my $1500 deposit. I delayed pickup so I could take some things off the Sportster. Items removed, windshield bag, J&M CB and antenna, Tire Pressure Monitor, hidden garage door opener with remote switch, Wireless helmet brake light module and Leather Tail Bag.

I left the saddlebags, luggage rack and backrest.

In addition, I did not want to ride it home without the quick release windshield, and seat extension. So, the Sales Manager says they will give me the extension off a new bike and when mine comes in they will just put it back a new bike. Len, Chance, and Virgil are just great to work with. Plus the parts department is always so helpful. I really appreciate my dealings with Caliente Harley of San Antonio. Been a customer there for only 3 years but gotta love em.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Nice to hear a good dealership story.

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
Congratulations on the new bike. Accessorizing is part of ownership. Have fun!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Got any pics of her yet? :D

Your story is encouraging for me. I'm about THIS close to pulling the trigger on a 2009 FXD. Been a Sporty rider for the last 3 years, no regrets. But I need something that's got more comfort for the longer rides.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Congrats on the new bike hope you enjoy every minute with her.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts