Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spoke with friends yesterday and one of them told me that synthetic oil in harley engine was not recommended , mostly in southern states due to hot temperature the oil pressure would go down , does anyone experienced that kind of issue?

Myth or reality?

·
Poser Member # 99
17,648 Posts
Go to Forum in the black stripe running across the top of the page click on it and search for oil threads there's 2 million of them

:spank:....:spank:

Welcome to the Forum

·
Registered
163 Posts
All oils will thin when hot. Your oil pressure will be fine. It does go down significantly at idle.

This summer I rode from central Texas to Dodge City KS for the Dodge City 300 commemorative race. It was 105 when I crossed Oklahoma. My fresh fill of dino 20w50 could not handle the heat and the bike sounded like hell with all the top end noise.

When I got to Dodge I change the oil and it looked like black water even when cold. I put in Redline 20w50 (expensive) and continued on my trip. That oil saw 4000 miles of hot summer riding including Kansas, Arkansas, Tennessee and even a long Washington DC traffic jam. Still never sounded like the dino.

I have since found a much less expensive alternative at less than $50 delivered for a 5 Liter jug:
LIQUI MOLY - Motor Oils, Additives, Car Care - Products - Synthoil Race Tech GT1 10W-60
I get it from an eBay seller in Texas.
So far I really like it.

Attachments

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
Your friends don't know jack sh!t about oil!
Syn will hold up way better in the heat.

·
Wayward Son
23,313 Posts
Go with a quality syn. Forget the additives. Change oil and filter at regular intervals....and ride.

·
Registered
39,442 Posts
Your friends don't know jack sh!t about oil!
Syn will hold up way better in the heat.
X 1000!

The whole reason synthetic oil was developed was to handle the heat!

Tell your friends to kick themselves in the jimmy for being stupid.

There might even be a sticky in this very sub forum that goes into detail all about synthetic oils.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
im in cali temps here are hot. sitting in traffic HOTTER yet. i love m1 20-50 great stuff.
handles heat way better. lowered my temps just a bit.
want hot run through death valley during peak temps 120 + and see if the oil holds up .

·
Registered
39,442 Posts
want hot run through death valley during peak temps 120 + and see if the oil holds up .
Harley has their proving grounds in Yucca AZ.

Be interesting to see what oil they actually use during the torture tests, and and oil analysis of the oil following those torture tests.

·
Mississippi Cajun
24,449 Posts
I've been all over the country mountains to deserts to shorelines and have been using synthetic the whole time. Never a problem.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Just finished reading some info on the Bob is the oil guy website. He has quite a bit of info there, including comparison between synthetics and "regular" oil. From that article:

"A main advantage that the synthetic has over the mineral based oil is the ability to lubricate at startup. Both types of oil have the same specifications at 104°F, 212°F and 302°F. It is the startup viscosity characteristics that separate these oils. Synthetic oils do not thicken as much on cooling. They have better fluidity as the temperature drops."

This is supposed to translate to reduced wear during startup.

Finally, unless I read the manual wrong, Harley recommends synthetic for my 2006 Fatboy.

Motor Oil 103 - Bob is the Oil Guy - Bob is the Oil Guy

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Harley has their proving grounds in Yucca AZ.

Be interesting to see what oil they actually use during the torture tests, and and oil analysis of the oil following those torture tests.
yes it would be. maybe we could coax somebody to get that info hummmmmmm:tinfoilhat:

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,328 Posts
When I switched to synthetic 2 weeks ago, the top end clatter went away.

·
old scoot coot
3,675 Posts
When I switched to synthetic 2 weeks ago, the top end clatter went away.
first time i rode my 96tc road king, i wheeled her out of garage and started her up. man i couldnt believe all the upperend noise. turned my hearing aids off, that baby has been smooth and quiet ever since. i love my quiet harley. tommy:biking:

·
Registered
161 Posts
You guys do realize that you can eliminate some of the voodoo here right? Get a sample of your used oil and have it tested!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I do this for my diesel trucks.

Get a Blackstone report -> Blackstone Labs

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
You can`t use synthetic oil in a Harley, it is too slippery and will allow the bearings to skid.

Everybody knows that.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
man you guys are ignorant- harley has used a sealed muffler bearing for over 20 years now-

if your trying to lube a sealed bearing you have bigger issues than bad muffler bearings

1 - 20 of 62 Posts