Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

First off the bike is an 06 883 custom.
Stock everything except straight pipes. The carb was previously jetted by Harley Davidson for the pipes. When I first take off, the bike will misfire at low rpms. Wether the bike is warm or cold it does it. Only at low rpms though. I can be in first or in fifth but if the rpms are low enough it does it. This has been driving me nuts since I bought it. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction before I start putting money in it.

Thanks guys

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
60 Posts
I don't know if our problems are the same but my new to me 97 1200 does the same thing. According to my friend and also the shop manuel I'm not leaving the enrichener (choke) on long enough. Again we may have different problems but they sure sound the same. How far do you drive before you push the knob all the way in?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I get on the bike start it with the knob out, i sometimes leave it out for about a mile but sometimes I push it in as soon as I get moving. But it does it when it's warm or cold. It makes no difference. I'm thinking I am going to just try to clean up my plug wires at the plugs and at the coil. Maybe get new wires if they are badly corroded and if that doesn't fix it I guess I should have the carb re jetted and tuned.

·
Registered
612 Posts
It is customary around here to go the the new member thread and introduce yourself first before asking for help. Once your done with the intro is bet you get a lot more help. There is a wealth of knowledge here.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I wish someone would chime in on this but my friend and manuel say that the knob should still be halfway out for two or three miles. I was pushing it in before I got out of my neighbor hood. which is way to soon according to some. I can't wait to try it using the knob half out much longer to see if I loose the cough at low speed. I'm not trying to steel your thread but just thinking we may have the same problem.

·
Registered
41 Posts
my '98 1200 does the same thing, just kind of let it warm up a bit and it goes away, happens from time to time still but not very often

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I doubt my issue has anything to do with the enrichener because like I said it does it warm or cold. I just try to keep the rpms up a bit so it won't do it. Also every so often when idling it will cough and stall, but the idle is high enough. If I raise the idle anymore the lope goes away

·
Registered
864 Posts
Adjust the air/fuel mixture, your idle circuit is too lean and you may need to increase the size of your slow jet.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
First go through the normal troubleshooting process, eliminate any vacuum leaks, in there are any. If no vacuum leaks, make sure the accelerator pump is working properly and that it'd jet isn't partially blacked. Then try adjusting the pilot screw out another 1/2 turn.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've never messed with a carb before. I'm fairly mechanically inclined though I do all the regular maintenance on the bike. I just have no experience with carbs. I will check for vacuum leaks though and make sure all the electrical components have good connections. If that doesn't fix the problem then I will probably just have someone adjust the carb. I know nothing about jets to change them either...

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Also make sure the idle is set to 1000+- rpm, if set too slow it will always stumble off idle. 1000 rpm might sound high to you if you are comparing it to a "big" Harley, that really lopes.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I'm not sure what its set to I don't have a tach. But I don't think it's set too low if I raise it at all from where it is it sounds like I'm holding the throttle. It would have no lope at all if I raise it. Probably a dumb question but hey you don't know till you ask. Is there any other way to tell the rpm without a tach?

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
No, not really. After you get used to a certain idle, you can make a fairly good guess, but you need a tach to set it right. Get a cheap test tach, meter etc. You'll have to interpolate a cheap tach, because it won't have a 2 cly setting. But you can check it after having it set to 1000 the first time, and compare what the cheap tach reads.

·
Poser Member # 99
17,151 Posts
I think scmhidty just help some one with the same problem something that the slid goe's into was put in upside down I think . go to Forum section and look thru the carb section . It' was in the Last couple of days

·
Registered
308 Posts
Same issue I had with my '06 - 1200L. You are running way too lean.

Best way to tell for sure is to pull the spark plugs. When I took mine out, they were so clean, they looked like they just came out of the factory. I ended up doing quite a bit of carb work on mine. Re-jetted and idle adjust. If you are going to go to the trouble, I would recommend: EZ-Just Mixture Screw - On Sale - CV Performance

It works really well. Carb adjustments aren't hard and you will get the hang of it pretty quick. After awhile you'll be able to tell if you're in tune from the sounds and feel of the bike.

Cheers. :)

·
WrightStuff
26 Posts
Isn't bad to run on your choke?? I am fairly new to Harleys but it seems like alot of folks do leave the chock out for a few miles. I have always heard that it is better on the carb to only use the choke to start it and then hold an idle. Just wondering if it really hurts anything.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Isn't bad to run on your choke?? I am fairly new to Harleys but it seems like alot of folks do leave the chock out for a few miles. I have always heard that it is better on the carb to only use the choke to start it and then hold an idle. Just wondering if it really hurts anything.
Well, on the '06, we don't have a choke, we have an "enricher". What's the difference? I think the enricher just dumps more gas straight into the jugs. The result of running with it on for too long could cause plug fouling and excess deposits in the system. It's pretty easy to know when to shut it down, the engine idle creeps up as the engine warms. So, if you're stopped at a light and you're engine is racing, turn it off/down. If you're up on the highway and running with the throttle open, turn if off as well, you're already getting plenty of gas to the jugs and odds are the engine will be plenty warm by the time you get where you're going.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Well, that's not exactly correct. The enrichener is a whole separate circuit within the carburetor, that allows a rich mixture of gas and air into the intake. While you don't want to run with the enrichener on all the time, the Sportster needs it for the first mile or so. As per the owners manual, cool/cold start full enrichener for 2 miles, then 1/2 enrichener for 2 miles, then off. Warm weather start, full enrichener for 1/2 mile, 1/2 enrichener for 1/2 mile, then off.
I have found, that even with a warm engine, unless it's really warm, you still need a little enrichent at times.
I won't get into re-jetting the carburetor and resetting the pilot screw, but there are plenty of people here that will provide information, (and be careful, sometimes mis-information) about doing that.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts