Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever heard of a brake pad breaking where the pin passes through so that the pad is missing on the piston side of the caliper?

I was the last person to touch that caliper, about 22 months ago. When I had a new tire mounted I r&r,'d the wheel myself. 65% tread left and I caught a nail. Shop now r&r's the wheel for no added charge if you buy the tire from them, so I let them. They discovered the missing pad. Bad enough but the pistons had hyper-extended and could not be reseated. But miracle of all miracles the rotor was not damaged. Still new caliper, new pads etc and a few other surprises and instead of 300 out the door it was now 750.

So, do pads break in this way? I am interested if anyone else has seen this.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Retired citizen
23,391 Posts
IMO, it's more likely that whoever put the pads in missed the hole when putting the pin thru the caliper.

Reactions: FritzHD

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well Schmidty, 2 things, your opinion is esteemed in my own, and that would be me as the installer. How I would have made that mistake baffles me, the pad would have been obviously askew. But would not be the first mistake I ever made but I do learn from them.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Retired citizen
23,391 Posts
The reason I mentioned is because I've seen that mistake already. Not on the later model brakes tho. The anti rattle spring clip in the top of the caliper must hold the pad in place well enough until the bike gets moved around.
I could understand if there would be a piece of the old pad left behind, like if the pad ear broke off and left hanging on the pin or something.
I'm thinking the pad might be laying around close by where it got installed. Look around in the gutters or alongside the road near your house !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts