Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was planning on a 4-5 day ride this summer with my dad. My idea was to ride from Calgary to Missoula Mt the first day and then head west into Idaho via the Lolo pass. My question is can anyone suggest a scenic ride after the Lolo pass. I would like to not head too far south and stay off interstates and be able to make it back to Alberta in that 4-5 day window.

Any suggestions would be great thanks guys.

·
On Probation
2,205 Posts
Did Lolo pass from Missoula to Lewiston, one of the best rides ever.
I would go back and do Lolo again!:think

·
TGPNW
640 Posts
Take a look at

Lewis and Clark - Idaho Scenic Byway

follow rt 12 (Lolo pass) to old Idaho Rt 7 to Deary than follow RT 8 RT 3 (truns back to just Rt 3) to Fernwood and on the St Maries continue on Rt 3 to RT 97. Rt 97 will take you to I 90. I 90 to state road 95 north toward Sand Point than up Bonners Ferry and continue to Canada.

Pulled this from memory and I acknowledge is is a little fuzzy.

For additional route look at

http://www.idahobyways.gov/guide.asp

Good luck, safe trip

Traveled LoLo several times,,,, one of the greats roads,, 99 miles of twisted road... watch out wold life

Try to give you and your Dad a few more days,,,, will be worth it.

·
Village Idiot
2,300 Posts
Take a look at

Lewis and Clark - Idaho Scenic Byway

follow rt 12 (Lolo pass) to old Idaho Rt 7 to Deary than follow RT 8 RT 3 (truns back to just Rt 3) to Fernwood and on the St Maries continue on Rt 3 to RT 97. Rt 97 will take you to I 90. I 90 to state road 95 north toward Sand Point than up Bonners Ferry and continue to Canada.

Pulled this from memory and I acknowledge is is a little fuzzy.

For additional route look at

http://www.idahobyways.gov/guide.asp

Good luck, safe trip

Traveled LoLo several times,,,, one of the greats roads,, 99 miles of twisted road... watch out wold life

Try to give you and your Dad a few more days,,,, will be worth it.
Plus one on that, every one of those is a beautiful stretch of road.

·
TGPNW
640 Posts
Another thought. Take a look at

About Us

they have a great map of SW Washington / Idaho with most the roads I have mentioned.
Can be found in bike shops and HD Dealers within the area of the maps.

You will pass through Kamiah Idaho (lower end of Lolo pass) and the Hub (406 Main St Kamiah) has great food and is very friendly place.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks 93. Here is the loop I came up with using your suggestions. I avoid B.C like the plague on long weekends so that's why I went back through Montana. Thanks again for your help and I let you guys know how it works out.

Link: <http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=17+Ave+SE&daddr=US-12+W%2FUS-93+S+to:US-12+W+to:ID-3+N%2FID-8+E+to:ID-3+N+to:US-2+E%2FUS-95+N+to:W+Idaho+St+to:AB-8+W&hl=en&geocode=FW_GCgMdMZoz-Q%3BFXR5yQId1D4z-Q%3BFbmFxQIdCB4R-Q%3BFaL8ygIdzuYP-Q%3BFSxz0wIdwWwM-Q%3BFWsZ5wIdIDQR-Q%3BFUZ_3wIdBKMv-Q%3BFQsbCgMdfpcz-Q&sll=50.485474,-113.653564&sspn=3.655954,10.755615&vpsrc=6&mra=mi&mrsp=7&sz=7&ie=UTF8&ll=48.414619,-112.543945&spn=7.627857,21.51123&t=m&z=6&dirflg=d>

·
TGPNW
640 Posts
Looks like a great route.

I have plans to spend a two or three week trip with Banff as a midpoint stopover and may go to Calgary or turn northwest to Alaska.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
i would get off of 93 in kalispell and go thru the swan valley on 83, then the 200 over to missoula . its a much nicer ride with less trafic by far. i ride all these roads that are in nw montana and i try ta stay off of 93 when i can.. but, the east side of the flat head lake is nice, but the posted speed is around 35 the whole way down.. the swan/seeley is the way ta go.....

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i would get off of 93 in kalispell and go thru the swan valley on 83, then the 200 over to missoula . its a much nicer ride with less trafic by far. i ride all these roads that are in nw montana and i try ta stay off of 93 when i can.. but, the east side of the flat head lake is nice, but the posted speed is around 35 the whole way down.. the swan/seeley is the way ta go.....
Thanks I will check that out as I have been the other two ways and agree 93 is busy and the east side of the lake is pretty slow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts