Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Methhead
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm taking extra time with my girlfriend this year after Collision 3. Just curious as to what are some "must see" destinations. I had both states send me travel guides. But sometimes those miss some of the true gems that only locals know of.

I'll be less likely to go far south in Arkansas as I don't plan on hitting much slab, if any. So if it's in the top half of Arkansas, lay it on me. And if it's not please provide some pics so I can decide if I really want to go to your suggestion.

Missouri it won't matter because that's on my way home.

Looking forward to what people suggest!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
163 Posts
In AR, stop by Pig Trail HD in Rogers and pick up some maps. Also, I think AR has a web site where you can plan some rides. My usual is to ride down the Pig Trail, AR 23 from Eureka Springs to I40, and turn around and ride back. Then from ES go east on US 62 to Harrison and get on AR 7 and ride south again to I40, turn around and ride back, but this time cut West on 16 back over to 23.

There are lots of roads. I do north south cuts some times, or east west cuts other times. I put 6600 miles on my bike in 60 days in 2012 during the drought. Live in an RV and stayed just north of Jasper on 7.

Just check out this site and you will find all you want. Motorcycle Rides in Arkansas - Motorcycle Road Trip - Arkansas Motorcycling

Make sure you buy a deer hunting license, and If you will be around Ponca, you will need a Elk hunting license as well. Lastly, make sure you stop for gas and do not wait for your low fuel light to come on.

·
Methhead
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In AR, stop by Pig Trail HD in Rogers and pick up some maps. Also, I think AR has a web site where you can plan some rides. My usual is to ride down the Pig Trail, AR 23 from Eureka Springs to I40, and turn around and ride back. Then from ES go east on US 62 to Harrison and get on AR 7 and ride south again to I40, turn around and ride back, but this time cut West on 16 back over to 23.

There are lots of roads. I do north south cuts some times, or east west cuts other times. I put 6600 miles on my bike in 60 days in 2012 during the drought. Live in an RV and stayed just north of Jasper on 7.

Just check out this site and you will find all you want. Motorcycle Rides in Arkansas - Motorcycle Road Trip - Arkansas Motorcycling

Make sure you buy a deer hunting license, and If you will be around Ponca, you will need a Elk hunting license as well. Lastly, make sure you stop for gas and do not wait for your low fuel light to come on.
Wtf am I gonna need a deer and elk hunting license for? I can't haul back a carcass on my bike with my and my girlfriend's crap strapped to it.

I suppose I should specify that I don't exactly need a motorcycle or road finder. I'm not worried about finding roads. I'm looking for destinations or landmarks that travel guides might not mention.

Or even a restaurant or bar that is epic but somewhat unknown. I know I can find amazing roads in Arkansas and Missouri. I'm not even worried about that. For instance, I know there's an old battlefield area about 2 hours from Eureka Springs that I want to visit. I'm talking things like that, but that's in a travel guide. Hell, that's on the Arkansas website. I want to see things like that, but things that aren't in a commercial travel guide. Those rare MUST SEE types of things.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Dont

Ever

Let

Anyone tell you they saw a saw saw that could out saw an Arkansas saw, because an Arkansas saw can out saw any saw you saw saw.

Arkansas Saws.
---

Every time I see you guys talk about the ride or Arkansas, I hear this ditty ring through my head. It's a mind worm I've had since the 1970s. Not telling how it got there.

·
Methhead
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dont

Ever

Let

Anyone tell you they saw a saw saw that could out saw an Arkansas saw, because an Arkansas saw can out saw any saw you saw saw.

Arkansas Saws.
---

Every time I see you guys talk about the ride or Arkansas, I hear this ditty ring through my head. It's a mind worm I've had since the 1970s. Not telling how it got there.

Thanks for the useful post.

·
On the loose
8,700 Posts

·
Methhead
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri is kinda cool , some twisty roads , some touristy areas , go carts , amusement rides , bars , restaurants , Bagnell Dam , Osage beach, you guys rode pretty close to it coming home last year.

Lake of the Ozarks: Bagnell Dam | Guide to Lake of the Ozarks | go2lakeoftheozarks.com

The Bagnell Dam Strip at the Lake of the Ozarks : Lake of the Ozarks Events and Vacation Guide

We actually rode through there for a little while last year. I totally plan on spending a day in the area!

You sure I don't need a deer or elk hunting license for there???

·
On the loose
8,700 Posts
We actually rode through there for a little while last year. I totally plan on spending a day in the area!

You sure I don't need a deer or elk hunting license for there???
A driver's license is the only one I can think of , and you might not need that.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Wtf am I gonna need a deer and elk hunting license for? I can't haul back a carcass on my bike with my and my girlfriend's crap strapped to it.
Just letting you know there is a high probability you have to make at least one quick stop or direction change to avoid bambi, and near Ponca, I have nearly hit a huge Elk as there is a preserve there. Really gets your attention after dark.

My attempt at humor.

And sorry, I don't care about destinations, as the ride is my destination.

Have a safe trip.

·
Along for the Ride
66 Posts
The elk at Ponca are not in a preserve. They run wild along the Buffalo River. Arkansas Game and Fish have permit elk hunts annually. You might want to check out The Hub at Jasper. It's a motorcycle resort with motel and restaurant. Game and Fish have a wildlife museum also at Jasper. It's free and worth the stop. Both are on Highway 7 around Jasper. Stop at a visitor center in Arkansas and pick up up a Motorcycle Ride Brochure. It has a lot of loops with the distance and number of curves listed for riding around Harrison. Hope this helps..

·
Methhead
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The elk at Ponca are not in a preserve. They run wild along the Buffalo River. Arkansas Game and Fish have permit elk hunts annually. You might want to check out The Hub at Jasper. It's a motorcycle resort with motel and restaurant. Game and Fish have a wildlife museum also at Jasper. It's free and worth the stop. Both are on Highway 7 around Jasper. Stop at a visitor center in Arkansas and pick up up a Motorcycle Ride Brochure. It has a lot of loops with the distance and number of curves listed for riding around Harrison. Hope this helps..

Thanks! I'll look into it!!!

·
Acta Non Verba
2,093 Posts
Copper Run distillery north of Branson is neat, so is Ozarks Distillery, near Osage Beach.

Wilson's Creek battle field SW of Springfield is pretty cool.

Wise Guys is a cool little bar in Ozark, Mo. Best (and cheapest) big burger in the area, very biker friendly.

Sheppard of the hills in Branson is worth the stop to look around.

If you stop by silver dollar city be sure to take the cave tour and visit the saloon.

Ha Ha Tonka is an interesting place, near Osage Beach.

Bass pro world headquarters and "granddaddy of all outdoors stores" is in Springfield, Mo.

Cabelas has a store in Rogers, At

Rosie Joe's in Ozark, Mo is the best place in the area for fried chicken.

Probably lots more, but it's 0427 in the morning and I need a drink...

·
Methhead
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Copper Run distillery north of Branson is neat, so is Ozarks Distillery, near Osage Beach.

Wilson's Creek battle field SW of Springfield is pretty cool.

Wise Guys is a cool little bar in Ozark, Mo. Best (and cheapest) big burger in the area, very biker friendly.

Sheppard of the hills in Branson is worth the stop to look around.

If you stop by silver dollar city be sure to take the cave tour and visit the saloon.

Ha Ha Tonka is an interesting place, near Osage Beach.

Bass pro world headquarters and "granddaddy of all outdoors stores" is in Springfield, Mo.

Cabelas has a store in Rogers, At

Rosie Joe's in Ozark, Mo is the best place in the area for fried chicken.

Probably lots more, but it's 0427 in the morning and I need a drink...
I don't think I could put up enough thumbs up for that!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Pea Ridge battle field isn't that far from Eureka Springs on 62. Eureka also has the big cat refuge. They're open 7 days a week & have "tree house" motel. I've not stayed there but heard it's very nice.
Gaston white water resort. Looks like a nice place to stay; I have not stayed there but the restaurant is pretty interesting. And food is good. Watch out for peacocks.
The Hub motorcycle resort. It's an old motel. The owners are super great!! & he has the best prime rib on Friday & Sat. nights. BYOL.
The Clift house; has a wonderful view of the "grand canon of AR"
Ferry ride across Bull Shoals is cool.
NWA is my favorite place. there's just soo much to visit. It will feel like home anywhere you go.

·
old scoot coot
3,711 Posts
Ok, so I'm taking extra time with my girlfriend this year after Collision 3. Just curious as to what are some "must see" destinations. I had both states send me travel guides. But sometimes those miss some of the true gems that only locals know of.

I'll be less likely to go far south in Arkansas as I don't plan on hitting much slab, if any. So if it's in the top half of Arkansas, lay it on me. And if it's not please provide some pics so I can decide if I really want to go to your suggestion.

Missouri it won't matter because that's on my way home.

Looking forward to what people suggest!

Thanks in advance!
hey andyg. id stay in arkansas going east as far as you can, before going north. those ar roads are nearly made for motorcycles. you will discover for yourself many interesting things you will want to check out while youtake a break or eat lunch. i have two books, arkansas motorcycling guide and arkansas advventure guide. these have photos and maps of routes to attractions. and facilities available for overnight motels, camping ecgt. if you would like just pm me an adress and ill shoot them to you. tommy

·
Methhead
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I have a lot of information to mull over here.

·
Keep on Ridin’
8,054 Posts
I haven't been there lately, but years ago, Lynn and I visited Blanchard Springs Caverns, near Mountain Home. I was impressed because it's a cave where the formations are still wet and active, unlike many of the larger caverns.

+1 on Bull Shoals and Buffalo River. White water activities in that area. Hwy 7 is usually on mosts list of most scenic drives in the country.

--

1 - 19 of 19 Posts