Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting low on oil and am about near where I should add. I have Amsoil 20 50 in the bike now and generally get it from a distributor I know from a local event. Won't see him again though till next month and wondering if I should make a special trip to get more or if another OTS brand would suffice just to add until the next change. Thoughts?

·
Glad to be anywhere
4,335 Posts
Its better to have enough oil in the system with a little of another brand than not enough for too long. Stay with a synthetic. My opinion.

However, I defer to Kainam's knowledge. You could also search (here) for the Oil Guy. They would know.

·
Banned
71 Posts
I'm getting low on oil and am about near where I should add. I have Amsoil 20 50 in the bike now and generally get it from a distributor I know from a local event. Won't see him again though till next month and wondering if I should make a special trip to get more or if another OTS brand would suffice just to add until the next change. Thoughts?
Add to it.... it'll be fine..don't try to over-think your oil . :thumbsup

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
You can use Mobile 1 V-twin from Autozone with no worries at all or pretty much any MC oil for that matter -- synth or dino.

·
Registered
42,085 Posts
Yup, just stay with the same viscosity. Youll be fine.

·
Registered
272 Posts
+1 ^^^
And IMO stick with syn with syn and dino with dino.

·
Banned
181 Posts
Me no understand, you are choosing to save a buck and not go to another amsoil place?

·
Registered
42,085 Posts

·
Banned
181 Posts
Personally i would go out of the way if it was not a emergency to get amsoil.
Not so much that another will hurt anything, Its just a better oil according to real experts.
I do not pretend to be one, But i can read a lab report.

·
Banned
181 Posts
YES, seals are very good at lab reports. Better then a lot of people in a lot of oil wars on a lot of forums.:)

·
Banned
181 Posts
I do not do them, but recommend everyone get their own version of a education.
Then they will have something to say.....

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
Personally i would go out of the way if it was not a emergency to get amsoil.
Not so much that another will hurt anything, Its just a better oil according to real experts.
I do not pretend to be one, But i can read a lab report.
That was not and does not answer the OP`s question.

Odd. Am a life long Friend of an expert. He has conducted tests on Mobile 1 as well as seen reams and reams of data on wear tests.
Will not use anything else in his vehicles.

·
Banned
181 Posts

·
Poser Member # 99
18,137 Posts
With Todays oils there all pretty close in composition and generally wont compromise engine parts or seals if mixed or matched for a short time . Syn and syn oil would work for a short time or dino and dino for a short time . I wouldn't mix syn with dino that a big no no .

The bike don't care what it has in it Mobil 1 . Redline, Quaker state or Valvoline it just needs oils to lube every thing to keep it from seizing . I'm not arguing that red line is better then Mobile 1 or Dino . I use Dino oil in my old bike and its been doing fine for quite a few years . Super tech 20w 50 Wal-Mart brand or Valvoline for these that don't know that's what's in the Super Tech bottle

Just saying

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
If there were any issues associated with mixing oils of any kind -- synthetic, dino, this brand, that brand, etc. -- 95 percent of all Harleys would be dead on the side of the road.

Every time you change the oil, you're leaving a half quart or so of the old oil in there, so anyone who's ever decided to change brand or from synth to dino, has mixed.

If it's motorcycle oil rated for the bike, it's fine. It won't hurt anything.

·
Wayward Son
23,864 Posts
Although I've never bought or used any, you can buy "blended" motor oil that is a mixture of dino and syn.
True. But the blending of it would be different then just mixing the 2 in your oil tank.
Have read that there are no benefits to it either.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts