Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking I would switch back to Mobil 1 on my next oil change for my 97 evo motor. The previous owner ran synthetic, then switched back to conventional. I do have a small leak from somewhere, havent figured out exactly where yet. I'll get 1 or 2 drops of oil on the ground after a ride. I know if I switch back to Mobil 1 that it will probably get worse, but my question is how much worse? The engine has 50,000 miles on it. Runs great other than the small leak. The other question is does everyone run synthetic in trannie and primary also?

·
Registered
39,451 Posts
I run Mobil-1 synthetic in my motor (15-50) and transmission (75-90). HD oil in my primary.

·
Large Member
173 Posts
I run Amsoil in all 3 cases.20-50 in the engine,20-50 in the primary for the summer and 10-40 for the winter,though we don't get lasting cold here in N Central Florida the 20-50 drags the clutch in the cold weather causing real clunky engagements and it will pull the bike for the first 2 or 3 revolutions when starting it in gear w the lever pulled.I run the 75-90 severe gear lube in the tranny.

I have heard tales of engines that ran dyno oil since day one and leaking not to long after synthetic was used.I've been told the reason is,the synthetic cleans the old deposits that are helping seal the engine from the inside.
No proof on this,just hear-say.

·
Just passing thru
6,636 Posts
I run Amsoil in all 3 cases.20-50 in the engine,20-50 in the primary for the summer and 10-40 for the winter,though we don't get lasting cold here in N Central Florida the 20-50 drags the clutch in the cold weather causing real clunky engagements and it will pull the bike for the first 2 or 3 revolutions when starting it in gear w the lever pulled.I run the 75-90 severe gear lube in the tranny.

I have heard tales of engines that ran dyno oil since day one and leaking not to long after synthetic was used.I've been told the reason is,the synthetic cleans the old deposits that are helping seal the engine from the inside.
No proof on this,just hear-say.
Well yes it will leak more for the reason mentioned above and because it is slipperyer then regular oil. Both reasons are why you should switch. You have three seperate oil compartments. Do you know which one is running low? It is probably a drain plug leaking, anyway good luck and let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Dark oil fears

Has any other Mobil 1 users noticed dark oil in the later miles of the professed 5,000 mile life?

SE Road King
'02FLHRSEI

·
Señor Member
2,384 Posts
I have recently changed to Mobil 1 V Twin 20-50 this last summer because of the heat in my new home state of Texas. I am sure that the synthetics stand up to the heat better but I am concerned over the Mobil 1 claim that I can run the oil for 5,000 miles with confidence of full protection aginst viscosity shear. I have the scavenger system installed and do feel good about how much clearer and purer my oil is at change intervals, but, even with that I notice that the color becomes quite dark at just 3,000 miles and now at 4,000 I feel that I cannot let it go any further. In my previous envrionment of the Northern Rockies I used only HD 360 oils based on the season and never let it go beyond 2,500-2,600 miles and most of the time much less miles because of season changes. I 86'ed the chiains very early in this bikes life so I know there is no tensioner degradation.

Has any other Mobil 1 users noticed dark oil in the later miles of the professed 5,000 mile life?

SE Road King
'02FLHRSEI
This thread is from November, 2007.
I sure hope he has gotten the oil changed on his bike by now.:laugh

·
Registered
39,451 Posts
Zombie oil thread!

·
Banned
152 Posts
Well yes it will leak more for the reason mentioned above and because it is slipperyer then regular oil. Both reasons are why you should switch. You have three seperate oil compartments. Do you know which one is running low? It is probably a drain plug leaking, anyway good luck and let us know how you make out.
Ha. It is not more slippery than regular oil. Friction modified oil is however those types of oil carry a symbol that says "resource conserving". 20w-50 is not resource conserving from any brand.
This more slippery nonsense is just that. Nonsense.
Use whatever oil you want and change it at regular intervals. Your engine won't know the difference. I use amsoil because I got cases of the stuff for free but if I had to buy oil it would be the VR-1 by valvoline or regular pyb 20w-50.
Synthetic oil will tolerate longer oil change intervals but I am OCD with oil and change it as soon as it has the faint smell of gasoline.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Ha. It is not more slippery than regular oil. Friction modified oil is however those types of oil carry a symbol that says "resource conserving". 20w-50 is not resource conserving from any brand.
This more slippery nonsense is just that. Nonsense.
Use whatever oil you want and change it at regular intervals. Your engine won't know the difference. I use amsoil because I got cases of the stuff for free but if I had to buy oil it would be the VR-1 by valvoline or regular pyb 20w-50.
Synthetic oil will tolerate longer oil change intervals but I am OCD with oil and change it as soon as it has the faint smell of gasoline.
"Energy Conserving"

Synthetic oil molecules are a room full of golfballs, where dino oil is a room full of golfballs, beachballs, baseballs and marbles.

Synthetic created a better barrier, a more consistent barrier and is in contact with more surface at a molecular level, then organic oil eber can be.

Synthetic oils claim to long life is due to resisting sheering effects on the molecules, where as organic oil will sucumb to breakdown, much quicker. Hence synthetic oils lasting longer and not having to be changed as often.

·
Retired firefighter
341 Posts
oil in my 96 evo

i currently use mobil 1 syn 20/50 in the engine and mobil syn 75/90
in the trans and hd+ in the primary,everything runs cooler,quieter,shifts smoother than it did when i first got the bike,who knows what was in it before me.:know

1 - 10 of 10 Posts