1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past 30 years I've owned Sportsters, and Softails, but never
owned a touring model. I sold my Deuce last year, and have been
looking for another bike for the past three months. I am now looking
for a Fat Boy since I really like the design.

More than one person has suggested that I go with a Road King or
Road Glide type touring model. However I like a firm ride and tight
suspension, and the Softail has that.

Also, I have noticed that Fat Boy models are selling a lot slower
than touring models. Is the "Glide" touring models the hot set-up
now? Are the Softails now the less desirable model?

So are Softails on the out, and go with a King?
Can the suspension on a King be adjusted for firmness?

·
Old Scooter Tramp
1,367 Posts
It does seem that the Glides are THE thing now. Don't get me wrong, they are some nice rides, but they ain't the only harley out there. That would all depend on the individual, do you like the Glides or touring models? or do you like the softails, dynas, sportys, streets, etc..
I myself like it when one or the other is THE desired one cuz usually it ain't the one I'm interested in and so you can find the one you really want, cause somebody has just got to have the latest and greatest and will be willing to deal.
So I say, I could be wrong, if you want a fatboy, by all means of I was you, that is what I would get. I'm purty sure that the ones telling you what to get ain't gonna be helping you pay for it are they?

·
Try'n to behave
6,280 Posts
IMPO, baggers are all the rage right now. That's why you are seeing so many younger guys/gals riding them. They used to be almost exclusively for the older guys; thus the term "Geezer Glide". I can understand why people like them though, lots of convenience.

If you like the Fatboy's, get a Fatboy. I like 'em too and would definitely consider one. All depends on how you like the ride after trying a few different ones out though.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I say, I could be wrong, if you want a fatboy, by all means of I was you, that is what I would get. I'm purty sure that the ones telling you what to get ain't gonna be helping you pay for it are they?
Ha Ha, yea no one has ever helped me pay for one damn thing in my life.
I've paid my own way, the whole way...

Can't go wrong with a test ride on several models.
Yea, taking my brother in-laws King out next weekend, if I don't buy a Fat Boy before then...

·
Old Scooter Tramp
1,367 Posts
Ha Ha, yea no one has ever helped me pay for one damn thing in my life.
I've paid my own way, the whole way...

Yea, taking my brother in-laws King out next weekend, if I don't buy a Fat Boy before then...
Same problem I've had, always had to pay my own way.... Lol

·
because........boobs
57 Posts
I always seem to go in the other direction of what everybody wants or what is trending. I picked a Deluxe for its nostalgic look and old school feel. I like the classic look and that was what I liked, regardless of whats "popular"....that never phases me in my decision.

·
Registered
691 Posts
View attachment 345610 I think it's just a matter of the type of rider you are. Softails and Road Kings are great bikes. I myself had a Fatboy, Road King, and now I'm on my second Street Glide. I like the versatility of the Glides and I can have a city and full blown touring bike in one.

·
Between Eternities
845 Posts
It's interesting to see younger (twenty-somethings) riders on Electra Glides.

Back in the 90s (oh those many, many, many years ago lol) there was a noticeable trend among the same age group of my friends getting into minivans. Seriously.

They all told me the same thing - convenience. Young guys with young families, they couldn't pass up twelve cup holders and electric side doors. Plus the seating position seemed to be popular as well.

I would guess we are seeing the same thing with big Glides. Heck, i could take a np on mine at 90 mph, it's that smooth and comfortable. Like a '72 Coupe de Ville with the swivel buckets and tilt steering wheel. Comfortable and Pimp Daddy cool.

·
Registered
581 Posts
My last bike was a Fatboy. One of the nicest bikes I've owned. Rode nice, looked great, manageable for two up riding. Now I own a Street Glide. It's like going from a car to a truck. More weight, more bells and whistles, better for touring and two up riding. It's a great bike. What I like best about is it that you can do whatever you want with it. Short trips, long trips, solo or two-up, listen to music, etc. I went with the street glide because of the functionality. I do miss my Fatboy because it's rugged and more unique. But at the end of the day it's all about where we are going and how we get there, it's more comfortable on the street glide. Best to get what you want, it's your bike.

.…...........................................

"I'd rather be riding my motorcycle thinking about God than sitting in church thinking about my motorcycle"

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
My last bike was a Fatboy. One of the nicest bikes I've owned. Rode nice, looked great, manageable for two up riding. Now I own a Street Glide. It's like going from a car to a truck. More weight, more bells and whistles, better for touring and two up riding. It's a great bike. What I like best about is it that you can do whatever you want with it. Short trips, long trips, solo or two-up, listen to music, etc. I went with the street glide because of the functionality. I do miss my Fatboy because it's rugged and more unique. But at the end of the day it's all about where we are going and how we get there, it's more comfortable on the street glide. Best to get what you want, it's your bike.
"
Amen to this. I'd ridden a Heritage Classis for 10 years before I bought the Ultra Ltd. It really is like going from a car to a dually truck. However, my wife loves the Ultra and we use it for longer (300 Miles +) trips and use the Softail for local poker runs and such. The Softail is "personalized" with a paint job and every conceivable skull bling I could put on it. It has more personality than the Ultra, but the wifey likes the lounge chair on the back.

Just sayin'...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Here's some anecdotal proof of your theory. See page 17 of the attached from just a few days ago. Even though overall sales are down, touring sales are up and account for almost half of all sales. The big losers are the Customs (Dyna and Softail apparently)...q

Attachments

·
RIP Michael
86 Posts
I like our Road Glide. The fact that we ended up inheriting it from our son kind of gives it a special place in our hearts, but it works well for us middle age comfort types.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here's some anecdotal proof of your theory. See page 17 of the attached from just a few days ago. Even though overall sales are down, touring sales are up and account for almost half of all sales. The big losers are the Customs (Dyna and Softail apparently)...q
Those are interesting numbers, reminds me of when I was working!
LOL!

Seriously, it is interesting to see their analysis and I was surprised
that international sales/effort are as strong as they are...

Yup, it sure looks like the Softail sales are off which confirms what
I've seen in the dealer showrooms. Mostly lots of Glides lined up
front and center in every color, and a Softail or two off to the side
of the showroom...

I think the root of my problem is that I like them all...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts