Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was in the closet yesterday and noted a brand new, never used suction tank bag for H-D's I've never used. It fits over the tank console, providing storage. An accessory I've never used.

Once put quiet baffles in the V&H Big Shots Staggered exhaust. While some report a fine improvement. Very marginal for me. Wouldn't have done it in retrospect.

Oh, I could list others, and oh the $$$ spent.... like a jacket never/rarely used. You have any mods/accessories that just didn't do it for you or work out?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Speakin of jackets rarely used, I'm starting to see the beauty of a half-helmet now that the weather has warmed up. I bought a nice full-face helmet when I bought my bike because it was cold, for one, but also for the peace of mind it gave me as I was learning the bike and getting riding experience. Now, it's kind of like putting a toboggan on and walking into a sauna. I got a good price on the helmet but now it seems a waste. I bought one of those "not so legal" brain buckets but, apparently, it doesn't fit my head so well as my wife just laughs at me when I put it on. Now I need to find one that fits right.

Was beginning to feel like I went wrong when I let a parts guy talk me into a permanent sissy bar instead of the detachable one as I really didn't like the look of it compared to without it. But, now that I've added the thick sundowner seat, it looks much more like it belongs.

I'm happy with everything else. I'm sure glad I bought the detachable windshield though. With warm weather and backroad riding, I love riding without it unless absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wideglide Mini Apes. I put them on my softail but they had me reaching
to much. Now they are collecting dust in my closet.

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Chrome passenger floorboard covers. I removed the passenger floorboards in anticipation of installing a solo seat.

Of course, I was glad I still had the floorboards themselves when the BF came out.

·
Super Moderator
12,742 Posts
The tool holder that replaces the cloth hinge on the inside of the right saddlebag. The tools fall out and now the elasticity is shot. Cool idea, just poor design. Fortunately it was only $25.

·
Registered
188 Posts
2 different windshields, a tail light lens, V&H phuel pak. I'm sure there's more but most of it went on ebay. I don't like to be reminded of my phailures.

·
2007 Ultra Classic
1,285 Posts
I have a huge pile in my garage.

Some are what is left from an accident. I plan to hang them on the wall as a visual reminder of the idiocy in the world.

Some are new parts or take offs that just didn't work out right.

It will make for a good garage sale.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Not to create confusion, but I'd like to offer up the 'other' end of the spectrum. "Mods" in my line of work are often more permanent in some senses. Frame stretch, rake, etc. Changing the stock shape of sheetmetal, putting lights, gauges, etc. in places where you wouldn't typically find them...

I'm just curious if anyone has had such 'permanent' mods (not necessarily bolt ons) that later they decided to change, and if so, what was the outcome?

Granted tins can often be considered bolt on but it is often a more drastic change to a scoot than just purchasing something designed to fit over/with stock.

Speaking for myself, had my 'prototype' girder front end all built, and fitted. Didn't seem to feel right to me even though the math was all correct. Sold it to a guy with a trike of similar rake and he's very satisfied. Later on I went back and learned I'd made a very simple error and could have run the girder comfortably, but by then I'd come up with a new design anyhow. So no regrets on the sale.

Who's next? :D

Badger

·
COB
1,984 Posts
Was in the closet yesterday

So basically you are saying that you came OUT of the closet yesterday? :eek:

I put a fibreglass body kit on a 350 Kawi Triple back in "the day". All it did was hit resonance at 70 MPH and scare the willies out of me.

·
On a ride
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh, what else have I never used? Suddenly I remember Steve Martin's great debut comedy album when he notes wasting some money... the fur sink, the $300 pair of socks, and the electric dog polisher. :)

Going back to the closet I can see a jacket or two bought years ago and rarely ever worn.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts