Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Mile Maker
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So.... I have an 08 stock FLHTC that will be getting a set of slip-ons (probably Kerker) and a fuel manager (probably Techlusion TFI) before riding season starts. I know I need to get more air flow and am trying to decide if a SE or Arlen Ness Air Cleaner kit are worthwhile. I am considering only a K&N filter since I have been reading that the Stage 1 Air Cleaner kits have little effect until you hit 4500RPM (which I seldom do).
Also, do the kits do anything other than allow more air to get to the filter? If nothing but that why not just modify the stock backing plate by drilling a few holes or opening it up some other way.
I have lots of other places for that $100 if the Air Cleaner kit is going to give me little benefit.
Thoughts and opinions welcome!

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
My opinion:

You could modify your air cleaner backing plate to get more air, but will it flow more efficiently ot enhance any performance?

Also...the factory air cleaner backing plate is designed to vent oil vapors INTO the air cleaner area, where as Arlen Ness' aircleaner units have internal ports that vent vapors into the opening of the ventiri areas of the carb/throttle body intake, and there's less chance of oil vapor drippage coming out of the unit, as it does with a modified stock one.

I modified a stock unit and used it with a K&N stock replacement filter, and I was getting constant oil drips/vapor. I replaced it with an A-N unit.

Most aftermarket airfilter units are a "cone" designed filter, which also gives you more intake area by volume, then a stock filter, even if you're using a K&N insert with your stock canister.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
try the doherty powerpacc www.dohertymachine.com by far the best air cleaner out there
Really? Define "By Far The Best"....

Does it produce more HPs then any other airfilter?

Does it allow for more flow, yet filter as much dirt as say.....a K&N?

Does it last longer then any other reusable airfilter?

Do you have Dyno sheets showing your product, as compared to K&N, Stock, Arlen Ness, or any other brand filter?

Curious where you make your claim, as "The best" unless you're the one selling them, and lining your pockets with false claims........:confused:

Spam...........

·
Registered
40,782 Posts
The powerpacc is a nice piece, but it better be for $300!

Basically it is a billet version of the SE - AN backplate with a raised venturi similar to a S&S.

I'd be interested in seeing some dyno comparisons of it vs the SE or AN setup. I wonder how much of your money is going for bling and how much is going for performance.

Not a big fan of the "dingleberry" rockerbox breathers that Doherty uses on the powerpacc tho.

·
Registered
25 Posts
When you can purchase the Ness A/C for around $100, And it performs comparably to the Doherty, why would you pay $300? Im with Dave63.

·
Trade School Alumnus
502 Posts
So.... I have an 08 stock FLHTC that will be getting a set of slip-ons (probably Kerker) and a fuel manager (probably Techlusion TFI) before riding season starts. I know I need to get more air flow and am trying to decide if a SE or Arlen Ness Air Cleaner kit are worthwhile. I am considering only a K&N filter since I have been reading that the Stage 1 Air Cleaner kits have little effect until you hit 4500RPM (which I seldom do).
Also, do the kits do anything other than allow more air to get to the filter? If nothing but that why not just modify the stock backing plate by drilling a few holes or opening it up some other way.
I have lots of other places for that $100 if the Air Cleaner kit is going to give me little benefit.
Thoughts and opinions welcome!
How do you know THIS? : >> "I know I need to get more air flow"

AL

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Ness for $109.

I paid $109 for my Ness at Eastern Performance.:)

·
Registered
1,270 Posts

·
The Northern *******
7,170 Posts
Most all of your quality aftermarket filters use the K & N filter as they trap dirt SO well, my EFI is clean enough on the inside to eat off of with a K & N...( I'm running an Arlen Ness Sidesucker /K & N filter, stage l upgrade, and a Thunderheader with the non EPA cam...Next stop is an Andrews 37G gear drive with adjustable pushrods and a Feuling oil pump & cam plate)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts