Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I want to lower and narrow up the front of an HD Sundowner Solo on a Road King Classic there are a few questions I have:
How do I fix the leather (or whatever the seat material is) back to the pan once done? Will it have to be cut?
If anyone has done this sort of project before, are there rules-of-thumb about the tolerance the seat has to modification? How far is too far?

Here is the seat

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
I've done this to the stock seat on a shovelhead.

The first thing I would say is if you have a pro locally, take it to them. They will do it for 50 or a hundred.

If, like me, you don't care and just want to learn how to do it, then you need to accept that you are going to screw it up and lose the seat.

That said ...........

First thing to do is see how the leather is fixed now. In my case it was stapled in to the fiberglass base with an air gun. Not nice. 200 staples later the seat cover came off :D

Next thing is what kind of filling is in there. In my case it was foam. You would think that the way to cut foam would be with a knife. 16 failures later, I figured out the best way is with a 12" hacksaw.

Then putting it back together.

Absolutely DO NOT cut anything off the cover. Fold it. Use the excess to give you more strength.

I figured since I couldn't staple the cover back on - needs an air gun - I would drill the leather and the seat base and pop-rivet it.

That's hard to do, and also bloody hard to undo when you realize you've got it wrong :D

So the second time around, I put brass grommets in the holes, and laced the cover from underneath with parachute cord.

Sounds hokey, but it worked for me. The para cord allows you to pull the seat cover up exactly where you want to, and if you need a particular section to come up tighter, you can use a separate piece of cord to pull it up.

Plus which, any time the cover comes loose, you can pull that section up.

If you think about it like a corset - you can make the front (top) of the seat look pretty much like anything you want by tightening the strings on the back (bottom) of the seat.

So now I have a very slim waist - for me to sit on - and a big fat ass - for Mrs Pete to sit on :D

Who says those Victorians didn't know what they were doing :rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
No guarantees, Lil :D

·
Registered
187 Posts
If I want to lower and narrow up the front of an HD Sundowner Solo on a Road King Classic there are a few questions I have:
How do I fix the leather (or whatever the seat material is) back to the pan once done? Will it have to be cut?
If anyone has done this sort of project before, are there rules-of-thumb about the tolerance the seat has to modification? How far is too far?

Here is the seat
You will need a staple gun/ 5/8" staples, electric knife or disk grinder with no backing plate. For what it sounds like you want to do start at the front, and leave as much of the rear of the seat cover attached as possible.

Pull the cover back to trim and shape, just take your time. Once you have the shape pull the cover back over the horn and attach with 1 or 2 staples. Then go back the the rear of the seat and start stretching it back on from back to front stapling as you go.

It is more scary than hard.

·
Official Ass Tweaker
1,804 Posts
See - I knew if I stuck my sorry ass far enough over the cliff someone who actually knows what they are talking about would step up :rofl:

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You will need a staple gun/ 5/8" staples, electric knife or disk grinder with no backing plate. For what it sounds like you want to do start at the front, and leave as much of the rear of the seat cover attached as possible.

Pull the cover back to trim and shape, just take your time. Once you have the shape pull the cover back over the horn and attach with 1 or 2 staples. Then go back the the rear of the seat and start stretching it back on from back to front stapling as you go.

It is more scary than hard.
And we all know how much of a chicken I am!
Thank you. You do make it sound do-able.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
See - I knew if I stuck my sorry ass far enough over the cliff someone who actually knows what they are talking about would step up :rofl:
Your sorry a$$ is always appreciated around here, though Pete. :D

·
Registered
187 Posts
And we all know how much of a chicken I am!
Thank you. You do make it sound do-able.

You should also push the palm of your hand hard into the seat where trimming to make sure you are not taking of to much foam.

If it were to get a little low you can add some upholstery batting this will firm it up a little.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You should also push the palm of your hand hard into the seat where trimming to make sure you are not taking of to much foam.

If it were to get a little low you can add some upholstery batting this will firm it up a little.
So, do you think I should try this on my brand new seat or go for the work of a pro and learn on something less risky at another time?

·
Registered
187 Posts
So, do you think I should try this on my brand new seat or go for the work of a pro and learn on something less risky at another time?
If you are not comfortable in your ability to it do wait till ya get another seat.

Find a good deal on Ebay and try it on that one.

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you are not comfortable in your ability to it do wait till ya get another seat.

Find a good deal on Ebay and try it on that one.
Yeah, you are right. I just may be chickening out on this one. I wouldn't do my living room furniture for my very first upholstery project so why should it be ok to try the Road Queen first?:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts