Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have only had my 2006 Fat Boy for a little over a month and it's been quite some time since I had a bike so I have what might seem like a basic question. The one time I rode in a little rain and whenever I wash my bike I get moisture in the fuel gage window and in some of the indicator lights. If I let the bike sit in the sun long enough the moisture eventually evaporates.

But my previous experience with gages of any type is that moisture and gages don't mix well. Is there possibly a bad seal somewhere that I could replace or do I just have to wash the bike and be careful not to hit these directly? Or is there some relatively easy way to dry them out after I'm finished?

Thanks,

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Harley gauges are not hermetically sealed. Even a humid night can cause fog on the inside of the lens.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, so I'll just be reasonably careful and not worry about it. Thanks.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Yes...it's a feature...LOL. Mine does it sometimes also...just annoying short term, long term I suspect it would be better dry in there...
Ride safe.

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
Ya, my '05 Heritage does that too. I think it's an option that I got for free.

·
The Fighting Chicken
4,006 Posts
Ya, my '05 Heritage does that too. I think it's an option that I got for free.

I got the foggy gauges option too. Pretty cheap, they fog up every time I wash the bike. I think they're working as they're supposed to.

Yep not a big deal to have a bit of moisture. The lights in the gauges will clear it up after a few miles. It's a nice excuse to go on a 100 mile ride. "Honey my gauges fogged up again, I gotta go for a ride to clear them up!"

·
HowardH
109 Posts
Yep. Around here, parking the bike outside on a summer day = rainstorm in the speedo.
Agreed. Here in Fl. it is a daily thing if bike is outside. Even without rain the humidity in the evening (I work nights) will fog up usually the outside rim of the gauge on my Dyna. And yes, it will burn off the moisture even on my short 15 mile ride home in the wee hours. But, as others say, it does concern me about long term speedo health with moisture inside and what really bugs me is that the moisture leaves a filmy, translucent edge all around the gauge. Wish I didn't have this option.

·
Acta Non Verba
2,093 Posts
When I first read the title to this thread, my brain read, moisture in garages...

I was like, oh boy, here we go again.

·
Outlaw Nipple Poster
2,872 Posts
I got the foggy gauges option too. Pretty cheap, they fog up every time I wash the bike. I think they're working as they're supposed to.

Yep not a big deal to have a bit of moisture. The lights in the gauges will clear it up after a few miles. It's a nice excuse to go on a 100 mile ride. "Honey my gauges fogged up again, I gotta go for a ride to clear them up!"
Excellent! I gotta use that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts