Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my quest to figure out my low mileage issue, I removed the K&N, (just cleaned and oiled last week. Removed carb, cleaned and documented a 48 pilot and 180 main jet. Bowl was spotless. While carb is off, looked at intake, aluminum, looked to be oily/damp where it meets jugs. So, hey, i'm this far, may as well replace intake gaskets.
Once i removed the intake, i looked at the tops of the intake valves with flashlight.....nasty crud buildup.
What causes this? Too rich? Is there a way to clean them without further disassembly?
I'd like to put all back together and just run a couple doses of seafoam. Will that do the trick? Thanks

Oh, no windshield, tires are good psi, brakes are not dragging and no parachute!!

·
Banned
71 Posts
In my quest to figure out my low mileage issue, I removed the K&N, (just cleaned and oiled last week. Removed carb, cleaned and documented a 48 pilot and 180 main jet. Bowl was spotless. While carb is off, looked at intake, aluminum, looked to be oily/damp where it meets jugs. So, hey, i'm this far, may as well replace intake gaskets.
Once i removed the intake, i looked at the tops of the intake valves with flashlight.....nasty crud buildup.
What causes this? Too rich? Is there a way to clean them without further disassembly?
I'd like to put all back together and just run a couple doses of seafoam. Will that do the trick? Thanks
You could use some carb cleaner, and then using a strong stream of air, blow all the crud out the exhaust pipe . Make sure all the valves are closed before you start . :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes may try that. Thanks.
The bigger question is why is it there?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the Kuraken hypercharger, that sucks the crankcase/head vapors directly into carb. I guess that would allow it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts