Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Flat Land Redneck
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was watching this race on tv today. Those guys have incredible skills. Maybe I'm just easily impressed. They literally hung off the side of their bikes in the corners, with elbows and knees dragging the pavement. They said the tires had different compounds on each side, due to the track. They were turning at extreme lean angles. I'm confused a little, their top speeds were around 211 mph. I was under the impression that showroom stock bikes could run in that neighborhood. Does anybody on here have experience with these bikes?

·
Flat Land Redneck
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That would be awesome to watch!
Watching it on tv isn't the same as seeing it in person, but you get a lot better view of the whole track and the benefit of slow motion. I got interested in this kind of racing after watching some videos of the Isle of Mann TT. This race had a lot more wheel to wheel racing, where as the Isle of Mann was a more timed event. There were several wrecks but everyone was able to walk away. Watching these guys in a turn wheel to wheel while the bike was all but on it's side just amazes me.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Coot, I rode a Yamaha FZ1 and a Hayabusa for 6 years before getting back onto Harleys. During this time I made a few track days and a good number of Superbike races at Barber, VIR, and Road Atlanta. I agree, these guys are highly skilled. MotoGP is the top of the line in motorcycle racing.

·
Flat Land Redneck
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is a realistic top speed on a stock bike like those? A dealer told me the new bikes have a 100mph first gear. Seems like he may have been blowing a little smoke, but I've known this man for a long time and he has always seemed like a pretty straight shooter to me. He was telling me about some hand made bike( Kaw. I think it was), that puts out around 250hp or 350hp(I forget), cost somewhere in the $50,000.00 range. One man builds it, start to finish. To get a replacement part, you have to send in the broke part.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I know the Yamaha R1 would redline in first gear at 92 mph. This was a few years ago so I wouldn't be surprised if he's telling the truth now. The Hayabusa, at one time, was the fastest production motorcycle in the world. Out of the box was realistically a 175 mph motorcycle. With just a few modifications it was a 200 mph motorcycle. The Kawasaki ZX-14 is giving it a run for its money now.

The stock motor in the Hayabusa gets about 160 hp. I would assume the ZX 14 is about the same. Some claim 200 hp but most of the time when you see that it's at the motor instead of the rear wheel. The Gen 1 Busa engines carried a bit more hp. You can get a bit more with porting and polishing along with a PC. I've seen claims of 210 hp but you're going to spend some money to get there. I've got a couple friends on the Gulf Coast that drag race them and he says that kind of hp gets expensive fast, lol.

The Yamaha FZ1 has a de-tuned R1 engine with a heavier crank to keep a more wide open powerband. The R1 has to be wound pretty tight in rpms to keep it in the powerband. The FZ is built more for everyday street riding with a more relaxed seating position.

I had my Busa to 140 mph with little effort. Since it was on the street I stopped there, lol. After 5 years I figured it was time to slow my fat butt back down before I wound up in a smoking hole somewhere. While on occasion I ride my Glides a bit faster than I ought I behave myself a lot more than I did on the Busa. They don't call it a Hyper-bike for nothing.

·
Registered
529 Posts
There's a video on this FB page of Marc Marquez laid over on his side in a turn. I can't imagine the sticking power of that tire to get him to that angle and still stay attached to the pavement. Impressive.

MOTOCLUB MATTI DI CORINALDO

During qualifying his primary bike broke. He RAN back to his pit, grabbed his back up, and made the pole in just one timed lap.

·
Flat Land Redneck
2,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info. That's carrying the mail on a two lane highway. I agree about the lean angles, the only part of the body still on the bike is a leg thrown across the seat. Tires have to be expensive. They said each side had a different compound to fit the track. I think Marco won Sun.. You don't see any old fat guys racing those bikes. All those guys are small and fit. They impress me to no end. Sunday's race was part of the Circuit of America. I'll be looking for the next race this Sun..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts