Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
luv the low country
21,074 Posts
Very tragic, hate to hear this. Prayers out for this whole group. I love group rides, but every safety precaution must be observed. Not saying it was or was not it this incident, don't know, but we all have to be vigilant out there.

All you going to ES, that's a good size group ride, be careful. All members of this forum, its that riding time of the year, enjoy, have fun, but ride with care.

·
Mississippi Cajun
25,211 Posts
Pickup crossed the centerline. Any bets about how long the text message was?
Totally sucks that this happened and people got hurt or killed. Prayers for all of them.

·
Old Scooter Tramp
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hope they charge the hell outta that sorry SOB that was driving the pickup. Until they start hanging their @ss out to dry, crap like this will continue.

·
Old Scooter Tramp
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was hit while riding alone. I believe a group of thirteen would be a safer ride, at least the cager could not say that he did not see them.
I agree, ya think it would be safer riding in a group. But when ya got all these idiots out there paying more attention to their damn phones than that 5000 lb piece of machinery moving at 70+ mph it ain't gonna make any difference how many are riding together.

·
Mississippi Cajun
25,211 Posts
How many times have any of you been tempted to make a Ueee and run some cager butthead off the road and beat the crap out of him (or even her) for nearly ending your ride with their head stuffed up the a-hole of their cellular device? I was almost killed by one of these useless oxygen thieves back in April, '07, and rode a wheelchair for quite a long time, and believe me, I notice this crap a lot more than most as a result.

·
Registered
356 Posts
PRAYERS for all the families involved. I hope the folks in hospital ... all come out OK.

WHAT IS IT ABOUT pickups and curves?
So many times, ... I always here about some old pickup that is way across the centerline on a curve.

Maybe we need to appoint a special DOOMSDAY squad of Harley riders that goes around the country ... ANNIHILATING pickups that have strayed over the centerline. Each bike could have a 50-cal, or an anti-tank rocket.

Just sayin'.

dT

·
Try'n to behave
6,433 Posts
Prayers sent!

I am going to lay my money on the cell phone theory. Not that the reason really matters, people are still hurt/dead.

I notice that there is absolutely no mention of charges being filed against the truck operator. They may just be waiting until they find out why he/she crossed the center line.

·
Registered
946 Posts
With the technology available I don't know why they don't make cell phones so they don't work at a speed over 2 mph. We did without them before and we can dam well do without this instant connection now. If a call is that important then pull over and stop then make the call. Someone should sue the cell phone maker if a person is hurt or a family member killed by someone using one of these useless things while driving. After all if someone can sue because their coffee was hot when it got spilled then it should be a no brained to sue the cell phone manufacturer for making a machine that causes the driver to drive in an unsafe manner

·
Old Scooter Tramp
1,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
With the technology available I don't know why they don't make cell phones so they don't work at a speed over 2 mph. We did without them before and we can dam well do without this instant connection now. If a call is that important then pull over and stop then make the call. Someone should sue the cell phone maker if a person is hurt or a family member killed by someone using one of these useless things while driving. After all if someone can sue because their coffee was hot when it got spilled then it should be a no brained to sue the cell phone manufacturer for making a machine that causes the driver to drive in an unsafe manner
Yeah, you would think so, but apparently someone up top likes to use theirs while driving. I do use mine but I have an ear peice and all I have to do is say answer or ignore. And I don't like the texting much less when I'm driving. Figure if it's that important they will call.... Or not....

·
Mississippi Cajun
25,211 Posts
I look at the cell phone as an electronic leash. I don't consider myself that important that I have to be in constant contact with the rest of the world. Never have sent a text message because the little crapola phone I have seems to know better what I want to say and changes everything before I can even type it in. I'm one of those dinosaurs who'd rather sit at the ham radio station in my house and converse in Morse Code.

·
Try'n to behave
6,433 Posts
Don't see why someone couldn't. It would be along the same lines as shooting victims suing the firearms manufacturer's for producing "an inherently dangerous" product. The same argument could also be made against the automobile manufacturer. It would be an uphill battle, but might be worth the effort if effective changes could also be made.

https://www.press.umich.edu/pdf/0472115103-intro.pdf

·
Asylum Inmate
12,770 Posts
They can... It is coming been collecting data on it for the class action for almost two years.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts