Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a website that teaches "motorcycle anatomy 101" (for lack of a better term)? I'm looking for something that breaks down the individual parts of motorcycles, describing what they do, how they work, and how they fit together. I have a basic knowledge of bikes, but am always interested in learning more. Been looking online but didn't find anything close to what I was looking for.

I think it would be cool if there was some sort of interactive diagram where you could click on specific parts, and they would highlight within the diagram, and tell you what they do. (If this doesn't exist, I'm gonna try to create an app for that!)

Anyway, can anyone recommend some sites / apps / info similar to what I'm describing? Or just motorcycle parts breakdowns in general? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
That's an interesting question. I don't know of a one stop site that has what you want. I googled "motorcycle anatomy" and got a few interesting pictures. "How Stuff Works" has some answers to specific mcy. queries (frame, forks, etc.). I'll be following this thread to see what others know. I do have a link to Harley engine animation if that will help.
AnimatedPiston Animated Piston Twin Cam Engine Screensaver - Animated Motorcycle Engines

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Breeze! That's a start. I know there might not be a "one stop shop" but maybe this thread can become something of the sort- where people can post links to relevant articles and webpages. thanks for the start!

·
Registered
485 Posts
you can probably find some on-line service manuals with repair breakdowns that have illustration.
That said, first lesson... the round shiny gizmawidgit on the front is a headlight, it lets you see her face when.... no, no thats something else,
it's for letting cages see YOU during the daytime and helps YOU see the ROAD ( and critters) after sundown
hope this helps

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
Does anyone know of a website that teaches "motorcycle anatomy 101" (for lack of a better term)? I'm looking for something that breaks down the individual parts of motorcycles, describing what they do, how they work, and how they fit together. I have a basic knowledge of bikes, but am always interested in learning more. Been looking online but didn't find anything close to what I was looking for.

I think it would be cool if there was some sort of interactive diagram where you could click on specific parts, and they would highlight within the diagram, and tell you what they do. (If this doesn't exist, I'm gonna try to create an app for that!)

Anyway, can anyone recommend some sites / apps / info similar to what I'm describing? Or just motorcycle parts breakdowns in general? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

This is a great idea. I wonder if it exists. We should start a wiki on it. Eventually, we could add the parts' nicknames and stuff so noobs can learn the lingo. It'd be a great reference.

I thought about starting a forum glossary. Forum Gloss. With all of our slang, etc.

·
Go SEAHAWKS!!
807 Posts

·
Earth-bound Misfit
624 Posts
If you want to go "old school," there is a great little book by Hugo Wilson (UK motor-journalist, I believe) called "Motorcycle Owners Manual." It contains lots of the general-type information you are looking for...and a whole lot more. Geared to all types of road bikes, it is full of useful stuff. $9.00 on Amazon...

Motorcycle Owner's Manual: Hugo Wilson: 0790778161507: Amazon.com: Books

·
Retired citizen
23,209 Posts
Also Haynes, Clymer and H-D service manuals are a good source of info.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Remember in school when your teacher would say that no question is a stupid question? Don't be afraid to ask it because guaranteed, someone else in the class has the same question?

Thanks, Nakleh, you asked the question I also had!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Señor Member
19,667 Posts
Remember in school when your teacher would say that no question is a stupid question? Don't be afraid to ask it because guaranteed, someone else in the class has the same question?

Thanks, Nakleh, you asked the question I also had!!!
Sorry for the jack...rdsaal, check your pm.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
las drogas son malas
3,248 Posts
This is a great idea. I wonder if it exists. We should start a wiki on it. Eventually, we could add the parts' nicknames and stuff so noobs can learn the lingo. It'd be a great reference.

I thought about starting a forum glossary. Forum Gloss. With all of our slang, etc.
Do it! That would be amazing! I think an app would be great too - something interactive. Hmm...

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
Really loving the Ronnie's website. just ordered a new shifter lever, mine is bent from dropping the bike last year. I love how each part is exploded in the diagrams, and you can order each part number individually. very handy, thanks for the link!
Wish I woulda knew. I have a spare and found one on the road last week. When I bought my Shop manual, I discovered they parts manual too and bought it as well. It has great exploded views and all the part numbers you need.

·
Banned
681 Posts
Do it! That would be amazing! I think an app would be great too - something interactive. Hmm...

Wikipedia for Bikes - fantastic idea. If someone who knows how to drive this forum can set it up I'll gladly contribute what little I know - including English versions of slang terms.

In the meantime, if you can find a copy this was my bible back when I was an ignorant teenager.

MODERN MOTORCYCLE MAINTENANCE: Amazon.co.uk: Bernal Osborne: Books

You won't find anything about fuel injection and you might give the sections on carburettors and magnetos a miss but the rest is probably still pure gold.

·
Go SEAHAWKS!!
807 Posts
Really loving the Ronnie's website. just ordered a new shifter lever, mine is bent from dropping the bike last year. I love how each part is exploded in the diagrams, and you can order each part number individually. very handy, thanks for the link!
:thumbsup

1 - 20 of 23 Posts