Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do we have any members who do this?
It would be great to learn of your experience as just looking at pictures leaves me in awe.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Never did this, but used to watch them up in Michigan as a kid. Something about riding around a tight track on the middle of a frozen lake with 4 inch nails protruding out your tires makes me a little nervous.

·
I break stuff.
1,669 Posts
Very fun stuff - I've wanted to try this for several years now. There are a number of CCS racers who hit the ice in the off season to keep their skills up. In January, there is a big race on Lake Koshkonong in Wisconsin that benefits the Steel Shoe Fund (a benefit fund for injured flat-track racers). It's a pretty big draw, both for professionals and amateurs.

·
ther·a·peu·tic
349 Posts
Closest I ever got to that was when I lived in Illinois. We would screw sheet metal screws in to the knobbies on the three wheelers and ride on forzen lakes and creeks. I agree with ptschuma...Having someone else's tire run up my leg is not a pleasant thought

·
Registered
411 Posts
Oh yeah!!!

I lived in Canada for 5 years, and I did my apprenticeship at Fairview College in northern Alberta. There is an annual event called "The Numb Bum 24". Being as it is usually around -40(C and F) and it is a 24 hour endurance race on a frozen over lake - as well as they carve a different track every year, and usully quite long.

Loads of fun, and many teams participate - its not so much a race as a very social event.

When I did my HD training there, we had a bored and stroked Sporty motor with KX front and rear. After only 4 hours, the whole rear wheel had been detroyed by the monster torque, and fantastic grip on the ice.
Not spikes, but screws specially designed for ice - and the theories behind difffering screw patterns being guarded secrets and a source of lively discussion!!!

It was a load of fun!

·
Registered
39,514 Posts

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1 - 10 of 10 Posts