Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seen several motorcycle jacks out there. Sears, Farm & Fleet, HD, etc. From what I read, alot of em end up with an oil leak from the bottle jack used on them.

Any GOTCHAS I need to be aware of?

Any recommended brands for an HD Fatboy ?

·
"Ain't quite right"™
11,205 Posts
I've got a Harbor Freight one, but I have to lean the bike from side to side to get that sucker under it.

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
I have a Sears Jack. Works fine, even when lifting my friend's Kawasaki 1600 Nomad, that weighs about 700 lbs.

·
Motor boating
5,255 Posts
i borrowed the sears jack from a buddy a few months ago and it worked real well. i may purchase me one when he comes back after it............:rofl:

·
"Ain't quite right"™
11,205 Posts
did you have to rock your bike to get it under?

·
Motor boating
5,255 Posts
did you have to rock your bike to get it under?

i have to stand it up off the kick stand and roll the jack under it.

·
Curmudgeon
7,037 Posts
Role my bike up onto two 1x10s under each wheel, gets it off the ground just enough to slide Harbor Freight under it.

·
"Ain't quite right"™
11,205 Posts
It's just barely wide enough to fit the entire width of the frame on it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Went out and bought the sears red one. Have to hold my fatty upright so the jack will clear the buttom....>S>U>C>K>S :mad:

·
Registered
623 Posts
I've got a Sears jack as well - workes well EXCEPT - when letting the bike ddown (releaseing the pressure in the jack) it jumps, somethimes severly and inrapid jums (not just one jump). Why? I've asked this question before but didn't get an answer, I think it probably has some air in it and needs to be bled, agree?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Seen several motorcycle jacks out there. Sears, Farm & Fleet, HD, etc. From what I read, alot of em end up with an oil leak from the bottle jack used on them.

Any GOTCHAS I need to be aware of?

Any recommended brands for an HD Fatboy ?
I use the Sears aluminum model, works great and fits (without rocking) under my 08 Road King.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have the Sears Model, and lifts the FXDL quite well.. I did have to buy adapters for the frame bottom, to help with leveling and clearing low hanging items..

It works great..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Greetings,
Harbor Freight has a couple, one for 69.95 and one for 79.95 (probably on sale..)
I bought the 79.95 one as it was a little wider where the frame sits and the safety catch and notches it engages in are more robust.

Works like a charm and has tiedown loops on each side so you can secure your scooter to it if you need to after it's jacked up.
Once the bike is up on it, it is more stable than the old cinder block that I used for years and way easier on the "too many miles on that rigid frame" back!

A bonus is the fairly heavy duty wheels and handle.
You can move it around the shop pretty easily if the floor is smooth and clean.
With the Wide Glide sitting on the side stand, you can roll it in from the right side and start jacking (with your foot) as you hold the handlebars and it will sit straight up, then raise off the floor fairly effortlessly.

The only catch is the lever to let it down as it works differently than normal - if you push it down a little, the thing drops pretty quickly but if you push it down fully, it eases down slowly - opposite of what you would normally think.
Luckily, I actually read the instructions BEFORE I used it.

It's been under 20 or 30 different bikes ranging from 125CC dirt bikes up to a full dressed wing and worked well with all of them.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts