Harley Davidson Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
I bought a Sears jack today for 99.00 regular price. It picks up my electra glide without any difficulty. Once it is locked into position, release some of the pressure on the jack and the bike sits very securely without any straps being used. The jack is very stable and will handle up to 1500 pounds of weight.

·
09 Ultra Classic
120 Posts
Is everyone referring to a regular car/truck jack or a motorcycle specific jack? I have a 2 ton hydralic jack but the lifting plate on it is too small to balance the bike on. Does Sears have a motorcycle jack? Just wondering what specific kind everyone is buying.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My wife got me a Craftsman for our anniversary. So far it works great on my 07 Heritage, but it won't fit the lift point on her 07 Streetbob....no frame to speak of to be able to jack it up.

·
Fla Cajun
25,353 Posts
I bought one from harbor freight, damn thang leaks down, spend the extra money and git a good one. :mad:

·
Registered
101 Posts
I used a buddy's about a month ago - it looked like the second Craftsman, but a cheaper knockoff - and you have to be very careful. I was laying on the floor of my shop and jacking and my Ultra went over - luckily it went the other way. I thought it was on the frame but the jack pads have a little 1/4 inch round piece on each end to keep the frame from sliding off. Obviously I didn't have it set right. It landed on the side and the tour pak hit a bench and scratched it badly. The rest of the bike landed on some rubber padding and I bent the clutch lever. I was able to rub the scratch out with some help from a body and fender friend. I will be very, very, very careful from now on. It could have been really ugly since no one was around and I may not have been found for a while. Now I start jacking and triple check to make sure it is on the pads.

I guess I am a Swede so it takes a while to get these things right!:faint

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I went out and bought the Sears red one. The yellow just looked like it would not be stable enough to hold all that weight. Have not had a chance to jack up my Fatty, but hopefully will try this weekend. I did notice that the clearance seems REAL TIGHT. It looks like I will have to hold my Fatty up right to slide the jack under. ALso, with the bike leaning on it stand, the jacks first point of contact is the primary cover. A concern.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Got one of those $80 cheapo`s been working fine for the past 5 yrs or so. if it leaks bottle jacks are cheap . now i want a full lift .

·
Registered
685 Posts
I used a buddy's about a month ago - it looked like the second Craftsman, but a cheaper knockoff - and you have to be very careful. I was laying on the floor of my shop and jacking and my Ultra went over - luckily it went the other way. I thought it was on the frame but the jack pads have a little 1/4 inch round piece on each end to keep the frame from sliding off. Obviously I didn't have it set right. It landed on the side and the tour pak hit a bench and scratched it badly. The rest of the bike landed on some rubber padding and I bent the clutch lever. I was able to rub the scratch out with some help from a body and fender friend. I will be very, very, very careful from now on. It could have been really ugly since no one was around and I may not have been found for a while. Now I start jacking and triple check to make sure it is on the pads.

I guess I am a Swede so it takes a while to get these things right!:faint
If in doubt strap it down

21 - 34 of 34 Posts