Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moderators please move if this is posted in the wrong section

I have searched till I can't stand the word jack.
Someone tell me what motorcycle jack they use and are happy with that is not a J&S.
I let my J&S go when I sold my Goldwing.(stupid I know)
The best jack I ever owned.
So why not buy another?
Because $600 with shipping is no longer in my budget.:frown

·
Wayward Son
23,066 Posts
Some Harbor Freight jacks/lifts get pretty good reviews.

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,566 Posts

·
Registered
10,470 Posts
I bought my Sears yellow jack several years ago. Very happy with it. Only weighs 42 lbs. Think I paid just a smidge under $200. Actually, when I was shopping the jack was on the Sears website cheaper than the Sears store was selling them. I asked the guy at Sears if he wanted the sale--by reducing his price to the website price and he did.

My neighbor bought what looked like a nifty little jack. Rated to 4,000 lbs. But...., he went to use it and it won't roll under his RK. Will have to put his RK on a couple of boards to get his jack to roll under it. So, if you are looking at different jacks be sure they will roll under your bike.

·
Wayward Son
23,066 Posts
I have read them and they do have good reviews.
That being said I like the idea of hearing experiences from users on forums like this.
This forum is where I read the reviews.
I have limited experience with an older one myself.
Kept T~S in the air all winter.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
I have one that came from Lowes. Other than the color, it looks like the HF one. The only problem with it is that the jack leaks down. I just let the safety catches hold it up. I do have to put a 3/4" board under the stand to get it under my Ultra. I did some mods to it to get it lower, but it's not enough. The board does the trick and it's not a big deal.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I have the J&S one but rather disappointed in it.Almost impossible to get under my new Iron 1200 as it does not go down quite low enough.Also it would love to let my scooter tip off it sideways,I am afraid of dropping it every time I use it.On top of that the crap chinese jack leaks down all the time. J&S had been blowing for the last year or two about a new USA made jack they would be offering as a replacement and it appears they finally have them now [ for $130.00 ] but it seems they are now chinese as well.........? All in all J&S are not what I expected when I spent over $500.00 for a jack.
Colt.45

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the J&S one but rather disappointed in it.Almost impossible to get under my new Iron 1200 as it does not go down quite low enough.Also it would love to let my scooter tip off it sideways,I am afraid of dropping it every time I use it.On top of that the crap chinese jack leaks down all the time. J&S had been blowing for the last year or two about a new USA made jack they would be offering as a replacement and it appears they finally have them now [ for $130.00 ] but it seems they are now chinese as well.........? All in all J&S are not what I expected when I spent over $500.00 for a jack.
Colt.45
I made myself believe my J&S was worth every $450 I spent for it at a motorcycle show.
I am not willing to do that again.

·
Poser Member # 99
17,226 Posts
I've got a old Craftsmen lift I had to drive up on to some boards to get the bike high enough for the Jack to go under it it[s a old 85 electra glide . It works fine on my ranger crew . My old boss gave it to me for free because he didn't have any thing to use it o So I bought him lunch for it .

·
Registered
1,392 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
I have the one from Harbor Freight.https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lbs-capacity-atvmotorcycle-lift-61632.html?_br_psugg_q=motorcycle+lift The Black one with the removable handle. I never use the pin in the handle. I use it to lift my Ultra. I have not needed any assistance using this jack with my bike. (Other than first test lift. That's always kinda scary). I normally lift it just to the first self-locking point. That's high enough for cleaning and oil change. The jack has to be positioned as close as possible to the rear of the bike to balance. If the load is not balanced on the jack, it lifts one of the locking legs out of position, (This could get ugly). I use a 2x8 under the jiffy stand to level the bike enough for the jack to roll under from the opposite side of the bike. The jack holds the bike with enough stability that i can set up the tie downs after the bike is up. When lowering, i straddle the bike and use my right foot to slowly lower the bike. With the jack handle removed. This also allows me to kick the jack from under the bike using my right foot. Once every thing has returned to earth. I have been thinking about changing out the bolts of the jack to some grade 8's. (haven't yet though). The jack works well for what i use it for. Had it for about 11 months, so far no sagging or oil leaks from the jack.

My riding partner has the "Big Red" jack with a Sporty. P.O.Chit in my opinion. Can not find a reliable spot under the bike with this jack. The bike has fallen off more than once! That jack is impossible to operate while holding the bike, positioning and lifting single handed. The bike still may fall off before you can get the tie downs set-up. The up-locks on that jack are useless. The slightest imbalance of the load and the locking bars clear the lock stops. It is difficult to lift and impossible to lower slowly. It slams down ready or not! I would not take a Big Red as a free gift!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have the one from Harbor Freight.https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lbs-capacity-atvmotorcycle-lift-61632.html?_br_psugg_q=motorcycle+lift The Black one with the removable handle. I never use the pin in the handle. I use it to lift my Ultra. I have not needed any assistance using this jack with my bike. (Other than first test lift. That's always kinda scary). I normally lift it just to the first self-locking point. That's high enough for cleaning and oil change. The jack has to be positioned as close as possible to the rear of the bike to balance. If the load is not balanced on the jack, it lifts one of the locking legs out of position, (This could get ugly). I use a 2x8 under the jiffy stand to level the bike enough for the jack to roll under from the opposite side of the bike. The jack holds the bike with enough stability that i can set up the tie downs after the bike is up. When lowering, i straddle the bike and use my right foot to slowly lower the bike. With the jack handle removed. This also allows me to kick the jack from under the bike using my right foot. Once every thing has returned to earth. I have been thinking about changing out the bolts of the jack to some grade 8's. (haven't yet though). The jack works well for what i use it for. Had it for about 11 months, so far no sagging or oil leaks from the jack.

My riding partner has the "Big Red" jack with a Sporty. P.O.Chit in my opinion. Can not find a reliable spot under the bike with this jack. The bike has fallen off more than once! That jack is impossible to operate while holding the bike, positioning and lifting single handed. The bike still may fall off before you can get the tie downs set-up. The up-locks on that jack are useless. The slightest imbalance of the load and the locking bars clear the lock stops. It is difficult to lift and impossible to lower slowly. It slams down ready or not! I would not take a Big Red as a free gift!
I have read and been told that you should bleed the jack before the first use.
I was also told to make sure the oil level is correct on these jacks.
When I have asked people that own them if they do this,I get a "NO" answer almost 100% of the time.
Most also say they have never read the instructions.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Here's another vote for the Harbor Freight aluminum jack. Finding the right point to position it was a little tricky (a lot further aft than I expected) and, like a lot of folks, I have to drive the bike up on a couple of pieces of 2X6 to get the jack under it. I always lower the jack down on the safety pin before starting work, so I don't know if it leaks down or not.

·
Gypsy on Parade
4,566 Posts
This one might just be able to get underneath my NightTrain. :think
It works well with my Dyna and my 91 Electra Glide. Next time I am home, you can just ride on down to Inola and we can check it out in my garage. The ‘91 sits low enough that I have to stand it up straight while I slide the jack under it, but it is plenty easy to hold it upright by the bars and push the jack under with my foot, then I let it ease back onto the jiffy stand while I make sure I have it positioned correctly.

Does the handle come off the jack to get it out of the way after you have the bike in the air? And of course with the safeties set so it won't leak down.
Yes. There is a knurled set screw that you can loosen and take the handle out.

If you are referring to the HF one I posted, I don’t know what the problem would be. I have had my ‘04 Dyna on it, my ‘75 Ironhead, my ‘91 Electra Glide, and my wife’s ‘09 Sporty on it. The Dyna, Ironhead and EG have all spent multiple days on it and I’ve never had an issue. If I’m just doing a regular service, I don’t even use the tie-downs. Tire changes and other thing that may have me exerting some force, and I will tie it down.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Yes. There is a knurled set screw that you can loosen and take the handle out.
Cool...... thanks for the info. At first glance it looked like it may have been secured with a bolt and nylon locking nut that would have to be removed each time. Of course that nut would have only gone back on the bolt hand tight from then on.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts