Harley Davidson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I've been having an issue with my 2001 XL(H)1200 making a gurgling type sound every once in a while when I turn it off.
It started after I had an S&S Stealth air intake installed, the shop that did it took the breather pipes off.
So I got new breather bolts that come out so I could attach PVC piping and stop any oil overflow into the air filter (because it had been getting flooded with oil).
It seemed to stop the problem for about a month, until today, about five minutes ago. I was riding pretty hard for about 20 minutes and came to an Advance Auto to get some tools. When I turned it off, the gurgling happened. It lasted about 6-8 seconds, then stopped.
Along with the gurgling it sounds like the engine has not completely turned off when that is happening.

I've read a few forums saying it could be the radiator/coolant, but again my bike is an XL1200, air cooled.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Luke

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
An update, I went back out about five minutes later and the bike will not stay on. It will turn over and turn on when I push the ignition, but it turns right back off.
If I give it gas it will stay on, but as soon as I let go it turns off again.

Any ideas??

·
Registered
Mr. James
1,846 Posts
Sounds like it may be on the rich side and when you shut the engine off it diesels out. If gas is sputtering into the air filter that will create a bit of a richer mixture when you start it back up and it can stall, like what has happened to you. If possible ride it keeping the rpm up to help the engine get back to 'normal' and, if it will, let it idle a good 10 seconds before you shut it off. Your primary jet may be just a tad to big for your engine set-up. I have been there.

·
Registered
Mr. James
1,846 Posts
check for intake leaks
Yes, since you have this constant stalling issue now check for intake leaks. Carb cleaner will help with that as well as WD-40.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By "intake leak", do you mean the fuel line?
I just had a new fuel line and fuel filter put on at the beginning of August.

Also, I have carb cleaner at home, just have not used it.

So the bike will stay on when I pull the choke out, but when I push it in it will turn off.
Also, if I give it gas when the choke is out, it sounds way off...like the cylinders are not in sync. Although I'm not 100% sure about that. But it does not sound normal.

Although, when the choke is out is sounds like it normally does with the choke out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just looked up "intake leak" and it says "if your bike suddenly starts idling higher for no particular reason, an air leak may be to blame".
My bike did start idling higher when I was in traffic right before I got to the store (where I still am, waiting for AAA).

·
weird member
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC)
3,346 Posts
Probably air intake leak. That generally means the seals between the heads and intake manifold, and the seal between the intake manifold and the carb. That's what's meant by intake leak.

If extra air gets in, that causes it to be leaner, which can cause higher idling, hanging idling and dieseling (when the engine keeps running after shutting it off).

Another classic sign of air intake leak is that it will stay running with the choke out. The choke is actually an enrichner, which feeds more gas in, which balances out the lean condition of the air intake leak.

If it sounds off with the choke full out and you give it gas, that's probably because the enrichner adding gas plus your throttle twisting adds too much gas and pushes it rich.

99% sure it's an air intake leak. Change all three manifold seals.

Reactions: JPR and 1/2 Ton

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi everyone, thanks for the info.

Question, looking at the carb area there is only one rubber seal. It connects the carburetor, which is all metal, to the Intake manifold, which is all metal. Then from the intake manifold to the cylinders there is the Flange Mounting, which is also metal.
Both of the Flange Mountings look fine.
The rubber seal from the carb to intake manifold looks a bit worn.
Would this be the only seal that needs replacing?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
#3 in the parts list.

·
weird member
1997 Softail Custom (FXSTC)
3,346 Posts
There is (or should be) a gasket under the flange (between the head and flange). You may not see it looking at it while it's on. When you take the carb off, then pull the manifold, you should see them.

Do you have a factory service manual? It should detail how to do the change. I think the screws for the manifold are about 8-lbs of torque, but I don't remember.

Make sure you re-mount the carburetor before tightening down the screws on the flanges for the manifold (mounted carburetor will pull the manifold into alignment).

And you might as well just replace all three while you're in there. If the carb boot gasket is bad, it's probably not long before the other two are bad, if they aren't already.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Im back for more advice.

I replaced the seals going from the manifold to the head, and from the carburetor to the manifold.
I put it back together and started it up. Did the same thing.
I then took the air filter off and sprayed some carb cleaner, and it still did the same thing.

·
Just Ride
3,888 Posts
Then it's still leaking.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is it possible there is air coming in from the exhaust?
I ask that, because the night before this happened I had removed the rear exhaust pipe to do a bit of work to it. Then replaced it, I believe properly.
Aside from changing spark plugs, that was the only work done to the engine since August when I had the air filter replaced at a shop near me.

I'm also asking that, because I don't know how it could still be leaking. I checked the manifold, washed the whole thing, including the flanges, and made sure the edges were clean before putting the new seals in between the manifold and the flanges, and before I put the seal to the carburetor on.
There was no damage to the manifold itself.

When I installed it I followed the video posted above to the letter and made sure I torqued it to spec from the manual.

·
Just Ride
3,888 Posts
If you sprayed it and same results then what does that tell you?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
From the look of all the seals when I replaced them I'd say that was not the problem to begin with. None were cracked and very minimal wearing.
If I did what I was supposed to do correctly, and the issues persists, I'd say it's something else. Although I do not know what.

·
Registered
13,193 Posts
Engines and exhaust pipes can make noises when shut down. How long does it make noise? Unless some how have oil in system draining back from heads, Engine oil levels are good? Sure its gurgling?

I gurgled with Stoli this evening Marie said it quiets me down. .

1 - 20 of 24 Posts