Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im a recent first time bike owner so i have a question about the registration. i know that in a motor vehicle youre required to keep your registration and insurance in the vehicle. well and insurance card for the bike is small enough to keep in a wallet, but what about the registration? is it required in kentucky to keep registration on your person while riding or what? i have a sportster with nowhere to store it on the bike and would rather not keep it in my wallet with a chance of looseing it. i loose my insurance card i print another one, registration is a bit different. thanks!

·
Smokin Ogre
261 Posts
I folded mine in half, so you can read it, then laminated it. It may not fit in a wallet but much smaller to deal with. maybe a handlebar bag might do the trick for you. How about a baggy next to your battery????

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
If you ride with a helmet, you could go with a ziplock and slip inside the liner of your helmet. Personally I've never had a problem with it in my wallet.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
i keep mine under the seat behind some wires in a small zip lock type bag.
i like the idea of zip lock baggy in the battery box too. use thicker freezer bags

·
Go SEAHAWKS!!
807 Posts

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
im a recent first time bike owner so i have a question about the registration. i know that in a motor vehicle youre required to keep your registration and insurance in the vehicle. well and insurance card for the bike is small enough to keep in a wallet, but what about the registration? is it required in kentucky to keep registration on your person while riding or what? i have a sportster with nowhere to store it on the bike and would rather not keep it in my wallet with a chance of looseing it. i loose my insurance card i print another one, registration is a bit different. thanks!
I don't have my KY registration in front of me at this moment--my wife keeps all important paperwork somewhere here in the house--but somewhere on the registration it says that by law you are required to keep the registration in the vehicle with you except for motorcycles.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have a bifold document holder that is a little smaller than a wallet and thin that I keep the registration and insurance card in. Put that in my vest because I always ride with the vest on so I always have it with me.

·
Fat Guy on the Ultra
5,388 Posts
Make a photo copy of it and have the copy laminated and tape it to inside of battery cover. Same with ins, ive never had a cop say anything about copies. I jave a copy to everything. Keep originals in house. I have to make a copy of each trailer for 3different vehicles ao that way i have a copy no matter what im driving. Just an idea.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Check out J&P Cycles. They have all kinds of document tubes that mount on the frame downtube and I think some kind of license plate holder that has a place for documents.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i read the back of my registration and it said that you dont need to keep it with the vehicle for motorcycles. not sure how that would work when going out of state though. i live on the indiana/kentucky boarder so the only state im concerned about traveling to is Indiana.

·
Try'n to behave
5,844 Posts
When I made my license plate bracket, I added a 1/2" ID Stainless Steel pipe with end cap welded to the back of the bracket. I use a pipe cape to keep water out. Works well.

photo-1.JPG

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Yet another reason to buy an Ultra. You need somewhere to keep your papers! :)

·
Registered
482 Posts
In Oklahoma all they ask for is your license and proof of insurance...They can look up wether the bike is registered to you or not.....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thats kinda what i figured ICP. hell, they have your DL and pretty sure insurance on record here in KY so youd think they wouldnt even ask for that

·
Go SEAHAWKS!!
807 Posts
Washington state only asks for DL & Reg. You have to have all 3 on your person to present if requested however.

·
Senile Member
1,713 Posts
If your title is too big, copy it smaller until it fits your wallet. Here they make it so you can fold it in 3 and stick it in your wallet.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts