Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For several months I tried to trade my 2002 FXSTDi (Deuce) for an 90's carbed Evo bagger. I couldn't get any bites. But I remember offering the bike up which according to NADA/KBB (value at $8400) to guys with 88, 92, 95 baggers and which by those same sites value at $7000-8000 depending on condition and people would act like I offered a POS or something and want me to add more money to the deal. I'm like if any one is adding money it should be YOU, my bike is worth more.

But any way I did some work to my scooter and am gonna keep it. What prompts this post is what makes people think their scooter is wroth more then it is?

I just saw this add roll across my Facebook feed from a Harley Buy Sell group.

Here is a super clean 1996 HD FXDWG Dyna Wide Glide.
Very low miles and Very well maintained.This bike was 7 years old when I bought it and had 1400 miles on it. It now has 13,???. It has absolutely nothing wrong with it besides a couple very small paint blemishes that most people wont even see. It has been lowered in the rear with adjustable Progressive shocks, Bub exhaust, Chrome lower legs and many many more extras.
The ugly blinkers were removed the day I bought it and never replaced. ( I use hand signals ) It would probably not pass inspection in Missouri without them.
Kelly Blue book on this bike is $6500 but you wont buy one like this for $6500 and defiantly not this one.
Asking $8500

I am selling it due to back problems. I just cant ride it anymore. Would be interested in trading or partial trade for a bumper pull camper or 2500 Chevy pick up.
Either would need to be in very good condition.
Low Ballers need not waste our time. I dont need the $$$$$$$$$$.
Private message me if interested
Here is a pic

So why is your virtually stock Wide Glide worth 2k more then NADA and KBB? Yeah you might have spent that on the pipes and stuff but you never get that out of it....

I just spent $1450 on my Deuce converting to gear drive cams and if I sold it today i'd sell it for what nada says not NADA + all the money i've ever spent on the bike....

Any way, I just wanted to see what some of you all think when you see insanely over priced bikes. Or maybe your the guy trying to sell the insanely over prices bike..What is your reasoning?

·
Wayward Son
23,862 Posts
Some people really do`t want to sell.
Some will if they get the insane price they are asking.
Some are ignorant and think they will recoup the $$$ they invested to make it their idea of custom.
Some live and sell by the motto "there`s one born every minute".
It`s up to the potential Buyer to prove them wrong.

When I bought T~S I was happy with the asking price. The owner did`t know it. He started mentioning all after market goodies and chrome doo-dads he had put on.
I let him ramble while I looked the bike over. When he was done I told him, "With all due respect, all the crap you just talked about means nothing to me. Most if not all is getting stripped off anyways. I want a blank canvas. Not someone else`s idea of custom".
He asked me why I let him go on. Told him it sounded like he was having fun. And I was busy checking out the other things on the bike that mattered to me.

·
Señor Member
19,747 Posts
I think everyone should try and sell as high as they can. NADA and KBB estimate value. TRUE value is what someone is willing to pay.

That said, as a buyer, you try and buy as low as you can. Under "value" if possible. The result of where the two parties meet is the actual, true value.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
I {Heart} Hookers.
31,321 Posts
Like Chief said, Value is only what someone is willing to pay.

Things like season, bike model and colors and options really play a large part in a bike's value.

I know what insurance companies "say" some bike's are worth. I also know what real-world prices are on some bikes.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Purchased my 2006 CVO ultra classic a little over two months ago. Seen prices range all the way from $10,500 for some very high milers to as much as $24,000 which is ridiculous even with super low miles. When selling a bike you need to have someone that really wants it bad, or be willing to take a lower price for it.

·
Registered
12,778 Posts
Its a Emotional thing. Guy asked me if I wanted to sell my 09 FXSTC with 30K miles the other day. Without thinking told him $20K firm. He looked and looked kept scratching his head. I was thinking is he really gonna go for that? Had no intention to sell. Finally said I got to go man. OK I just can't do that much. Those damn Harleys are just to expensive for me as he walked off. To me its worth 20K.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
I just had a buddy tell me about a 2003 Anniversary Road King that has 4000 miles on it. It has the two-tone black/silver paint; a V&H exhaust system; plus a few more doodads. Seller wants $13,000!!! No way that bike is worth that much and the only way the seller will get that kind of money is if some sucker who don't know squat gets all googly-eyed over it. Sellers are convinced that their 2003 bikes are some sort of collectors item. The problem with that logic is that there were just too many bikes manufactured in 2003. They are NOT rare. You can find them everywhere!!

·
Registered
844 Posts
I have noticed that looking at ads, the prices decline for a few years then seem to start going back up again. What is with that? sentimental-ness? (new word!)

·
Registered
57 Posts
As with absolutely anything second hand, it's only ever worth what you can convince someone else to pay you for it. This goes for your cars, bikes, house, the hockey cards you've been collecting since you were eight, your rare coin collection and your old toaster...

·
Registered
340 Posts
The prior owner of my bike wanted $8500. After talking with him on the phone he said his bottom line was $8000. This machine is in almost mint condition with 7300 miles and a few extras like pipes, fwd controls, a few pieces of chrome etc.

I had already made up my mind to find a nice low mileage bike and to only spend $7000 no matter how long it took. I knew the right one would come along sooner or later. I was ready to put $6000 down on a new one back in May but thankfully I changed my mind at the last second before signing the papers.

So back to last week. I let him know up front that I would only give $7000 and that if he would'nt consider that, there would be no sense in me even coming to look at the bike. Three days later I bought the bike for $7000.

It may or may not be worth more but I am of the opinion that the price is whatever the market will bear.

·
Super Moderator
13,076 Posts
Like they say on Pawn Stars all the time "people can ask what ever they want, but what are they actually selling for?"

I think craigslist has some of the best deals out there, but it also draws the morons that want $2k above KBB/NADA.

·
Wayward Son
23,862 Posts
Like they say on Pawn Stars all the time "people can ask what ever they want, but what are they actually selling for?"

I think craigslist has some of the best deals out there, but it also draws the morons that want $2k above KBB/NADA.
Their a moron right up until they get their price from a bigger moron.
Just saying......

·
Registered
329 Posts
Craigslist has a whole range of expectations. I'm looking at getting a shovel for a fun project toy, and the prices are ranging from 3k which I find reasonable, to 12 for an fl thats not even close to rare or stock which is stupid. But hey when he really wants to sell the price will be reasonable, and what market value is.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Some of the dealerships around here advertise on cl. I'm thinking about selling my Nightster they're usually about 1000 to 2000 higher than I would start at and I'm planning about a grand for wiggle room.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Gorgeous HD Dyna Wide Glide there. It would be very difficult for me to sell one that looked that good. I think you'll find a buyer with time. It takes an experienced HD lover to appreciate what you have got there. You will see many bikes 10 years newer that lots more wear an tear. Be proud of it and hang on to it until you find and educated buyer.
Nice Bike!!

Good Luck!!

·
Super Moderator
13,076 Posts
You gotta wonder if people even read the original topic.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts